Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

It looked like they were putting up new barriers.

They're moving the barriers so they're no longer blocking the sidewalk. I'm not quite sure why they ever blocked the sidewalk to begin with, considering the goals of Gilbert to have a vibrant, functioning downtown.

Before moving barriers [[3-15-2019):
    Name:  South.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  119.0 KB

After moving barriers[[9-10-2019):
    Name:  IMG_20190910_143226350.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  132.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    They're moving the barriers so they're no longer blocking the sidewalk. I'm not quite sure why they ever blocked the sidewalk to begin with, considering the goals of Gilbert to have a vibrant, functioning downtown.
    I'm not sure why the block the sidewalks, but I've seen that be done in the first stage of many construction projects in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I'm not sure why the block the sidewalks, but I've seen that be done in the first stage of many construction projects in NYC
    I should have been more specific. I'm not sure why they would block the sidewalk and then not do anything for over a year. Blocking the sidewalk is a necessary negative during construction, but does not need to be done 1+ year in advance.

What is going on with the landscaping on Monroe St.?

I would think the city would take better care of it than that [[all of the brown patches).

^ I completely agree, it's a needlessly jarring sight. All they have to do is plant trees or something but it's just left barren and it's been like that for years, so ugly. Maybe they're planning to get rid of the medium soon?

Name:  IMG_0927.jpg
Views: 5391
Size:  141.8 KB
    We've got activity. Looks like they are breaking up the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChrome View Post
    Name:  IMG_0927.jpg
Views: 5391
Size:  141.8 KB
    We've got activity. Looks like they are breaking up the parking lot.
    Any sign of a big crane? Is the steel rising?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Any sign of a big crane? Is the steel rising?
    I don't see any. So now I'm going to insert a snarky comment about how they are just moving dirt to deceive the public and this project is really being scrapped.

They dug five holes and have since filled all five back up with dirt and debris. I'm not sure why.

Soil testing?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Soil testing?
    I believe so. Soil test are needed before permits. After permits, then demo of the parking lot and caisson work to follow.

My best guess is that this project is about 18 months behind the Hudson site, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke09 View Post
    I believe so. Soil test are needed before permits. After permits, then demo of the parking lot and caisson work to follow.

My best guess is that this project is about 18 months behind the Hudson site, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same contractors.
    Yup.... we don't want to be like San Francisco and have our own "leaning tower"....

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-m...sinking-2017-9

What's taking so long! Where is the development Gilbert??

I wonder if something important happened to cause some activity? Is this something they would have done if this project as completely paused or not? [[Assuming they are soil testing)

Frankly, I wish they would scrap the project [[ likely will happen anyway ), and concentrate their time and resources and build a great project on the Hudsons site, as planned..

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Frankly, I wish they would scrap the project [[ likely will happen anyway ), and concentrate their time and resources and build a great project on the Hudsons site, as planned..
    lol no. there is not a chance in hell this gets scrapped. This is prime downtown real estate and the city office market is extremely healthy. They need an anchor tenant though aside from quicken which seems like will occupy much of this space too.

This might be a reason why they're picking up pace on this project again. Office rent in the city has dramatically risen just since last year alone.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...ildings-report

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    This might be a reason why they're picking up pace on this project again. Office rent in the city has dramatically risen just since last year alone.

Tower 200 in the RenCen is over half-empty? Is this just a recent downsizing by GM?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Tower 200 in the RenCen is over half-empty? Is this just a recent downsizing by GM?
    I would assume that they moved people around just to make 1 large RenCen space more marketable...

I would doubt anything comes of this as proposed. Taubman said in the 90's, residents lead to retail. Perhaps some of that comes to fruition in the D.

No amount of marketing will lead to robust residential. High Rises in particular

Any updates on the project, from somebody on the inside

Im afraid we will be asking this same question a year from now. Just hoping Hudsons site starts on something visible from ground level within a year and that it has an idea what exactly they are building and its purpose. It was mentioned earlier here that city office and residential demand and needs are at a premium. Bedrock has done incredible things but thats a marketing hype Bedrock has been using for several years now to hopefully encourage new investors and tennants. Reality is its no where near that..The proof is in the putting.. Progress presently downtown is good, but not at a break neck pace. These major projects are progressing very slowly or none at all. Completing the Book Tower will be a great accomplishment and they seem to be-on point there. Very slow development like we are experiencing on the other big projects simply doesn’t happen in a demanding market as developers construct as fast as they possibly can to meet real demands. Downtown is actually doing very nicely, and we should all be very proud of it, and there’s certainly good solid new development coming in, but I really feel we’re at a ratio now that our needs are being met by existing facilities, renovations, and some smaller new development. Large new commercial tenants and hotel conglomerates are not lining up to get into downtown presently,, thats why Hudsons is crawling, and Monroe is completely stalled.
    Last edited by DetBill; November-08-19 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Im afraid we will be asking this same question a year from now. Just hoping Hudsons site starts on something visible from ground level within a year and that it has an idea what exactly they are building and its purpose. It was mentioned earlier here that city office and residential demand and needs are at a premium. Bedrock has done incredible things but thats a marketing hype Bedrock has been using for several years now to hopefully encourage new investors and tennants. Reality is its no where near that..The proof is in the putting.. Progress presently downtown is good, but not at a break neck pace. These major projects are progressing very slowly or none at all. Completing the Book Tower will be a great accomplishment and they seem to be-on point there. Very slow development like we are experiencing on the other big projects simply doesn’t happen in a demanding market as developers construct as fast as they possibly can to meet real demands. Downtown is actually doing very nicely, and we should all be very proud of it, and there’s certainly good solid new development coming in, but I really feel we’re at a ratio now that our needs are being met by existing facilities, renovations, and some smaller new development. Large new commercial tenants and hotel conglomerates are not lining up to get into downtown presently,, thats why Hudsons is crawling, and Monroe is completely stalled.
    The City is still a very difficult place to do business and developments. It has gotten much better no question, but “getting better” is still well short of being good.

Bedrock has the past experience, money, and connections to get things accomplished. But for developers not familiar with the process, it is often too complicated to get the necessary permit approvals. Adding onto the onion, the city has historically been both very corrupt and incompetent. Thus when a developer today runs into red tape, an
    unfamiliar developer likely doesn’t know if they are just at a bureaucratic stand still, or if they need to pay someone off. It is more often the former, but given the city’s past, it is easy to see why an unfamiliar developer might think it is the latter.

Anyway, all of that makes it complicated for new developers to join Bedrock and crew in the city. Without enough financial backing and someone to guide you through the process, the maze can be overwhelming.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 ... LastLast