Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Variations of your statement were said about every immigrant wave from the 1830s onward, including the Germans, Italians, eastern Europeans, and especially the Irish. They assimilated. Why wouldn't this wave have a similar outcome?

CAN they have a similar outcome? Sure. Previous waves of immigrants, circa before the turn of the 21st century were more successful than today’s. My current landlord said it best. He came to America from China flying first-class. I love diversity! We all come from somewhere. America is a young country built on immigrants. My great grandparents came from Italy, Germany and so on. My point is this. America doesn’t need low-class scum that want to escape their shit hole countries? Yet they don’t want to adopt to our practices and truly become Americans. My landlord who’s Asian American is more patriotic and American than a lot of people born here. So....
    You can’t control where you were born. But you certainly can make decisions from there and if I were to move to a foreign country? I’d learn their language and would damn well be versed to their culture so I wouldn’t offend people and irritate them with my presence. It’s courteous. Something these immigrants that have been coming here from Latin America for the last few decades lack. Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    My point is this. America doesn’t need low-class scum that want to escape their shit hole countries? Yet they don’t want to adopt to our practices and truly become Americans.
    I don't get your point, to be honest. Just like archfan pointed out, previous waves of immigrants from various European countries were looked down on for "not assimilating" and being from "shithole" countries too.

I don't particularly care about the level of patriotism that various immigrants have. Sometimes people are desperately trying to find a better life in America, and being "courteous" isn't the highest priority in their lives.

What do you think Greektown, Hamtramck and Corktown were, because they weren't models of assimilation in their heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I don't get your point, to be honest. Just like archfan pointed out, previous waves of immigrants from various European countries were looked down on for "not assimilating" and being from "shithole" countries too.

I don't particularly care about the level of patriotism that various immigrants have. Sometimes people are desperately trying to find a better life in America, and being "courteous" isn't the highest priority in their lives.

What do you think Greektown, Hamtramck and Corktown were, because they weren't models of assimilation in their heyday.
    If I have to explain it to you like a toddler than maybe this forum and the reading comprehension levels of the members on it aren’t worth my time. In my follow up response to the little paragraph you quoted from me I said before the 21st century we got better quality immigrants. People who didn’t necessarily come with a lot but they had better ethics, higher standards...classier people who have become upstanding citizens here. The ones we have gotten in the last couple of decades commit lots of crime, they are low-income and stay poor because they have the wrong mindset and the wrong mentality to make it here. Immigrants of the past would come here off the boat with next to nothing and bust their ass in the same country that gives the same opportunity to ANYONE regardless of race or gender and they are the middle class of America today. Do I need to further explain myself to you? I don’t mean it be rude but the fact I had to explain this in another run-on paragraph begs the question if you even got a college education.
    Last edited by Dmberko11; August-04-19 at 01:39 PM.

I said before the 21st century we got better quality immigrants. People who didn’t necessarily come with a lot but they had better ethics, higher standards...classier people who have become upstanding citizens here. The ones we have gotten in the last couple of decades commit lots of crime, they are low-income and stay poor because they have the wrong mindset and the wrong mentality to make it here. Immigrants of the past would come here off the boat with next to nothing and bust their ass in the same country that gives the same opportunity to ANYONE regardless of race or gender and they are the middle class of America today. ...
    There is nothing new about your attitude toward immigrants:

Few of their children in the country learn English ... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.

-Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father, on German immigration to Pennsylvania, 1750s

What means the paying of the passage and emptying out upon our shores such floods of pauper emigrants — the contents of the poor house and the sweepings of the streets? — multiplying tumults and violence, filling our prisons, and crowding our poor-houses, and quadrupling our taxation, and sending annually accumulating thousands to the poll to lay their inexperienced hand upon the helm of our power?

- Lyman Beecher, Leader of the Second Great Awakening, on English immigrants, 1834

The people of this country are too tolerant. There’s no other country in the world where they’d allow it... After all we built up this country and then we allow a lot of foreigners, the scum of Europe, the offscourings of Polish ghettos to come and run it for us.

– John Dos Passos, early 20th century novelist, on U.S. immigration policy

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    There is nothing new about your attitude toward immigrants:

Few of their children in the country learn English ... The signs in our streets have inscriptions in both languages ... Unless the stream of their importation could be turned they will soon so outnumber us that all the advantages we have will not be able to preserve our language, and even our government will become precarious.

-Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father, on German immigration to Pennsylvania, 1750s

What means the paying of the passage and emptying out upon our shores such floods of pauper emigrants — the contents of the poor house and the sweepings of the streets? — multiplying tumults and violence, filling our prisons, and crowding our poor-houses, and quadrupling our taxation, and sending annually accumulating thousands to the poll to lay their inexperienced hand upon the helm of our power?

- Lyman Beecher, Leader of the Second Great Awakening, on English immigrants, 1834

The people of this country are too tolerant. There’s no other country in the world where they’d allow it... After all we built up this country and then we allow a lot of foreigners, the scum of Europe, the offscourings of Polish ghettos to come and run it for us.

– John Dos Passos, early 20th century novelist, on U.S. immigration policy
    Yes but this time around aren’t all those Mexican and Central American immigrants taking up all the high paying information technology jobs, displacing real Americans from our colleges and universities, consuming all of our health care resources, and for good measure, getting free cell phones? We can’t have that. And we haven't even mentioned all those Muslims we're letting in who are just itching to get their hands on some automatic weapons so they can go shoot up a Walmart in El Paso or someplace like that. Their manifestos won't even be in English. Where's the assimilation?

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Yes but this time around aren’t all those Mexican and Central American immigrants taking up all the high paying information technology jobs, displacing real Americans from our colleges and universities, consuming all of our health care resources, and for good measure, getting free cell phones? We can’t have that. And we haven't even mentioned all those Muslims we're letting in who are just itching to get their hands on some automatic weapons so they can go shoot up a Walmart in El Paso or someplace like that. Their manifestos won't even be in English. Where's the assimilation?
    Yeah I basically agree here but most who read these threads on this forum have a more liberal take on everything and they think we should just get taken over and pay for someone else’s lunch. Maybe they wouldn’t mind opening their homes up and taking in some refugees since they have such big hearts LOL

Yeah I basically agree here but most who read these threads on this forum have a more liberal take on everything and they think we should just get taken over and pay for someone else’s lunch. Maybe they wouldn’t mind opening their homes up and taking in some refugees since they have such big hearts LOL
    Most who read these threads are intelligent enough to recognize sarcasm when they read it.

If I have to explain it to you like a toddler than maybe this forum and the reading comprehension levels of the members on it aren’t worth my time.
    Yes. You are far too smart and I am intimidated by it. Please find another forum better suited to you.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Yes. You are far too smart and I am intimidated by it. Please find another forum better suited to you.
    I apologize if your feelings were hurt or your ideologies were assaulted. I’m such an “alt-right fascist” and should stay away from the drivel of the dems like you, is that what you said? Got it. Glad my opinion counts too in your party of toleration and safe space. have a good day sheep

I apologize if your feelings were hurt or your ideologies were assaulted. I’m such an “alt-right fascist” and should stay away from the drivel of the dems like you, is that what you said? Got it. Glad my opinion counts too in your party of toleration and safe space. have a good day sheep
    Nice try but I'm not even American nor do I live there. I just miss the days when this forum, like your country, was civil.

Nice try but I'm not even American nor do I live there. I just miss the days when this forum, like your country, was civil.
    Okay okay, putting our differences aside. What’s your interest in Detroit? If you say you’re not American or from here. Please don’t interpret that as an affront because there’s no malfeasance behind it. I’m just curious. And I somewhat agree with your statement about lack of civility. We can quickly get bellicose in our discussions instead of trading reasonable points and agreeing to disagree. I’m very guilty of that. At least I’m willing to own it. Very big of me, I know

nice try but i'm not even american nor do i live there. I just miss the days when this forum, like your country, was civil.
    *drops mic* damnnnnn