Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Does anyone have any pictures of what was On the Monroe block before the parking lot?
    Of can you direct me to a Link ?
    thank you
    I believe this block in the picture was up until the 1980s. Such a shame to lose it...

I'm also reading about it my Newspapers.com account. I wasn't alive back then, so I don't know much about it though I should. I'm beginning to think it's probably a tie for the greatest loss of a building or set of buildings lost in Detroit. Old City Hall is the other. Most of these buildings dated back before the Civil War. They all gave Monroe a good streetwall, though they were small, and potential today would be massive.

https://digitalcollections.detroitpu...ndora%3A159252
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; December-01-16 at 10:12 AM.

Thank you , looks like those building fronted Monroe st.
    So , I use to work in Cadillac tower, so at the edge of the building is now a street, according to that picture there was no street there? I'm assuming it was added after they tore down those buildings to the east ?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I believe this block in the picture was up until the 1980s. Such a shame to lose it...

I'm also reading about it my Newspapers.com account. I wasn't alive back then, so I don't know much about it though I should. I'm beginning to think it's probably a tie for the greatest loss of a building or set of buildings lost in Detroit. Old City Hall is the other. Most of these buildings dated back before the Civil War. They all gave Monroe a good streetwall, though they were small, and potential today would be massive.

Here is a photo to show what im talking about.

Name:  2e525da437131d5a454c94c326fe4693.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  58.6 KB

Ahhhhh now it makes I see ! they look similar ! Thank you for that !

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Here is a photo to show what im talking about.

Name:  2e525da437131d5a454c94c326fe4693.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  58.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

I worked in the First National in the early/mid 80’s when the Monroe Block was largely intact, albeit run down and quite vacant. To this day I think the best thing would have been to restore and reuse those historic buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I worked in the First National in the early/mid 80’s when the Monroe Block was largely intact, albeit run down and quite vacant. To this day I think the best thing would have been to restore and reuse those historic buildings.
    Funny, it was run down but didn't look a whole lot different than that 1910 photo, except for being abandoned of course. While it was tragic to lose, at least it was one block of many that remain downtown. There are a lot of towns across North America that have lost similar blocks, which represented most of their historic downtowns.