http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...rren/87967364/

I frequently went to this Cinemark theater in the former Universal Mall plaza [[okay, technically I guess this complex is still called that, but anyway...) to see certain films that had already been released for at least a couple of months and were largely phased out of the first-run outlets. The ticket cost went up to a flat $3 in the past year, whereas before it had ranged from 50 cents to $2.50 depending on what day of the week and what time of day that you went.

I was alarmed when I found that the outlet's website didn't list any movies shown in the past two weeks, and a trip there confirmed the closed status. Then I did a web search and found this article in the Detroit News.

Apparently the MJR company will lease the property, do renovations, and rebrand this outlet to show first-run movies.

Already the MJR chain is fairly prolific in the metro area. [[And I am well aware that they are Michigan-owned.) I wonder how much, if any, business this will siphon from the other MJR outlets [[or AMC) in the area. I guess it's time to get ready for the "clap! clap! clap!" intro song whenever this place reopens.

Just speaking for myself, I enjoyed seeing certain films for the first or second time at a discount. The food and drinks were the same cost, of course, lol [[buy candy before you come!). Especially on weekends, there would be plenty of people in line- families, seniors, I also noticed groups of adult developmentally-disabled folks from time to time, chaperoned.

Outside of second-run major studio releases, this outlet also showed lots of Bollywood Indian culture films. I wonder will this aspect be abandoned or will it continue?