Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Everyone has the choice to wake up each morning and choose their attitude to be either a victim mentality or choose to be an overcomer mindset? Why would you choose to be a victim?

That choice determines your destiny.

Stop making excuses for your life and change the outcome. You'll never convince an overcomer to be a victim. Or sympathize with a victim mentality. It's a poor choice.

Nothing is more annoying to an overcomer than blame or excuses. They're just broadcasting bad behavior.
    I don't understand how a simple job fair aimed at at-risk youth turned into a fucking bitch fest of white people saying it's discriminatory because it doesn't help them. How selfish is that?

I would say the state of some black communities correlates with how they've been treated for the past 400+ years. Yes some get out of the school to prison pipeline, but some don't. And this can change that. Buuuuuut no white people need to complain because it's "too centric" towards black and brown youths and that's just not fair to white youths. Well maybe if the system was equitable we wouldn't have this fucking problem, but we do.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    So much for establishing a non inflammatory dialog. Have at it folks, sorry I brought this up.
    Yes, sorry your first post was well meaning I get it, but the responses after by certain posters really disappoints me.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    How is it discriminatory when white people have CONTROLLED the the United States economy and business sector for the past 240 years?! And for the first 80 years of our nation used free black labor to succeed at it!!

There is no Nat. Assoc. for the Advancement of White People because whites, as a whole demographic, have been able to succeed in America because the system is built for whites to have power.

This entire thread is white privilege, because instead of being thankful you don't need separate job fairs, a national association, or FFS a beauty pagaent [[never mind Miss America is chock full of black women but GOD FORBID people dare celebrate black beauty!!!), you want to gripe on those who do need such things because...?
    Even if I agree with all that you say about white dominance, [[and believe it or not, I don't disagree with you as much as you might think), that still does not change the fact that the premise of this job fair is discriminatory. Citing past, [[and present), injustices does not change the fact that this event has a discriminatory bias attached to it. It doesn't excuse it either by implying that people of color are justified in doing so because of past wrongs done to them. Making yourself the victim does not make you ineligible of conducting your own discriminatory behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    Even if I agree with all that you say about white dominance, [[and believe it or not, I don't disagree with you as much as you might think), that still does not change the fact that the premise of this job fair is discriminatory. Citing past, [[and present), injustices does not change the fact that this event has a discriminatory bias attached to it. It doesn't excuse it either by implying that people of color are justified in doing so because of past wrongs done to them. Making yourself the victim does not make you ineligible of conducting your own discriminatory behavior.
    Again, why can't we be happy that there's an organization out there trying to get more young people of color into the workforce instead of jobless and/or on the street?

Again, why can't we be happy that there's an organization out there trying to get more young people of color into the workforce instead of jobless and/or on the street?
    I never stated that I was opposed to the event. I'm not angry or upset about it in the least and I hope it's a huge success. If your hope was that people would be happy about it, I'll state truthfully that I am. I'm not offended by the People of Color aspect of it. Just stating that it does however have a bias to it.

You want to know why I hate soup kitchens? They ignore and discriminate against people like me who are capable of buying their own soup. Seriously, it's not fair for groups given a raw deal to receive extra support if it means that someone like myself, who doesn't experience the same problems, can't get in on it too.

I don't understand how a simple job fair aimed at at-risk youth turned into a fucking bitch fest of white people saying it's discriminatory because it doesn't help them. How selfish is that?

I would say the state of some black communities correlates with how they've been treated for the past 400+ years. Yes some get out of the school to prison pipeline, but some don't. And this can change that. Buuuuuut no white people need to complain because it's "too centric" towards black and brown youths and that's just not fair to white youths. Well maybe if the system was equitable we wouldn't have this fucking problem, but we do.
    Nice language. Really validates your argument. Where did anyone say they had a gripe because the event wouldn't help whites? If the event helps "black & brown youths" then I'm completely happy about it. Look, I have NOTHING against this event or what it's trying to accomplish. My only point is that the nature of its billing has a discriminatory nature to it.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    You want to know why I hate soup kitchens? They ignore and discriminate against people like me who are capable of buying their own soup. Seriously, it's not fair for groups given a raw deal to receive extra support if it means that someone like myself, who doesn't experience the same problems, can't get in on it too.
    You know if you walked into a soup kitchen they would serve you, don't you? But, that wasn't your point, was it.

"it's not fair for groups given a raw deal to receive extra support"

That's the victim. Most aren't usually "given" a raw deal.

Conscious decisions led them to the current state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    You know if you walked into a soup kitchen they would serve you, don't you? But, that wasn't your point, was it.
    And if someone other than a black male walked into this job fair, they would also be accommodated. Not a big deal.

No, being "colorblind" is just as harmful as being overtly racist. Why? Because if you see everyone one way, you are not recognizing the problems that might persist within their community. How do solve unique problems in certain communities if you don't recognize who they are? If there's high unemployment amongst black and Hispanic youths, then yes a job fair targeted towards blacks and Hispanics is a great thing and addresses the problem.

This is the problem with "All Lives Matter". All lives do matter however historically speaking black lives have always mattered less because of the system's treatment of them. That's why "black lives matter" because they do, not because white people's don't.
    Now here's someone "who gets it"

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Now here's someone "who gets it"

Yes they do...👆👆👆

How about older unmarried men that were the last hired?

3000 hours of training had no basis on retention and had no bering on keeping your job.

Kids, and married?, yes you have an in. Are you proficient, no, and a goof off, yes. Keep the job.

Well goodbye old veteran.

Yes, we all face discrimination.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-16-16 at 03:51 PM.

Frankly, if anyone is playing the "oh woe is me" victim card, its the whiny straight white men these days.

Please, can you further whitesplain how the less fortunate are just playing the victim? The poor, minorities, they are all just gaming the system because they are lazy right? Born in a city with no transportation, high crime and a piss poor education system? All you need is an overcomer mindset! Don't let the reality of this country keep you from succeeding, that is a victim mindset, all you need to do is pull yourself up by the bootstraps and you'll be a success. Just look at all the white people who don't live anywhere near you, they were able to do it!

But if you're going to be an overcomer - you can't limit yourself to geographical boundaries. If transportation is your concern - one can move to any city that has a subway/mass transit/walkable corridor. But what you can't do is stay in your current situation, whine about the lack of resources, but refuse to move to where the resources are.

That's like saying you should be allowed to buy a house, not pay your mortgage or not pay your taxes, or not pay your water/heat, but should be allowed to stay in the house you couldn't afford, while not paying your bills, because you're entitled to stay there. Entitlement - the step sibling of a victim mentality.

Growing up poor and African American in Detroit is NOTHING like buying a house and refusing to pay anything that goes along with it.

I forgot how easy it was to overcome poverty. It really is a damn shame more people don't do it, you make it sound so simple. Bunch of lazy...

Nice to see that the entitlement myth is alive and well. I remember when Snyder was gonna clean up entitlements and welfare with drug testing, since they are all on drugs and lazy. What happened with that again?

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Growing up poor and African American in Detroit is NOTHING like buying a house and refusing to pay anything that goes along with it.

I forgot how easy it was to overcome poverty. It really is a damn shame more people don't do it, you make it sound so simple. Bunch of lazy...

Nice to see that the entitlement myth is alive and well. I remember when Snyder was gonna clean up entitlements and welfare with drug testing, since they are all on drugs and lazy. What happened with that again?
    They found NOTHING

But if you're going to be an overcomer - you can't limit yourself to geographical boundaries. If transportation is your concern - one can move to any city that has a subway/mass transit/walkable corridor. But what you can't do is stay in your current situation, whine about the lack of resources, but refuse to move to where the resources are.

That's like saying you should be allowed to buy a house, not pay your mortgage or not pay your taxes, or not pay your water/heat, but should be allowed to stay in the house you couldn't afford, while not paying your bills, because you're entitled to stay there. Entitlement - the step sibling of a victim mentality.

Who decided Detroit could do without a decent system of transportation?
    Who dismantled the f out of the streetcars in the fifties? Who called the shots on housing, employment and political appointments? detroiteronthewestcoast is right when he says the whining comes from the white men.

Trump stopped worrying about which neighborhood he should move to long ago. He also found the right loopholes to avoid paying income tax. Was there ever a bigger whiner? Entitlement is his business motto. And he is giving everybody the business.

I wonder why our incoming Panderer-In-Chief didn't tell all those whining white guys in places like West Virginia or Central PA to just pack up and move to Silicon Valley and get tech jobs.

There is no Nat. Assoc. for the Advancement of White People ...
    Actually, there have been several; they've all been vile.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    Actually, there have been several; they've all been vile.
    Touche, my friend, touche.

The shop owner, over decades of operation, never employed one black person. This was because he hated black people.
    My father, being a war hero and of the greatest generation, was never that bad. But I thought that part of him would die off with him. I was wrong, just look at the W. Virginia story from the past few days. I guess not in my lifetime.

Unfortunately or fortunately for some, this will be my last entry on this website. My original start for this thread asked for sensible dialog on the title of a job fair in the city.

I grew up in Detroit and attended a predominantly Black/Hispanic high school so I had a first hand experience with the prejudices and attitudes between the races. One thing I did experience was the camaraderie between my fellow back students and I. I grew up on the lower East Side and commuted to the neighborhood around the 12th. street Grand River area for high school. I saw a lot of racial prejudice which was well founded at the time. The one thing I noticed that as I spent time with my classmates [[some white, mostly Black and Latino) the attitude changed. I can't say I was accepted but I was treated as an equal mostly because we were from similar backgrounds.
    What I'm getting at is, after starting this thread that the same old misconceptions and stone throwing are still there. I see a lot of animosity still exists. I asked for dialog without the racial mudslinging and look what happened here. I don't know if this city can ever be rebuilt without rebuilding attitudes toward one another. It takes more than brick and mortar and Q-Lines and arenas. It takes a total change in the underlying hatred that still exists.

There were a lot of well meaning posts here but as is often the case on this website, it turned into a temper tantrum between angry people. So in ending, I am so sorry we still can't establish constructive conversation without the mudslinging.

Good Luck and Goodbye.

But when you run from your problems you don't make them go away.

I'm not angry - my blood pressure never raised 1 point through this whole thread. I have no hatred or malice towards anyone - I do feel sad when people settle for being a victim instead of bettering themselves, but I can't control their destiny - only they can.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast