Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    My father, who is white, worked at a machine shop in Troy. The shop owner, over decades of operation, never employed one black person. This was because he hated black people.

Racism still exists. It still prevents minorities from getting jobs in some situations. Combine the reality of the present with the history of the past and it's not too hard to see why organizations need to exist to help the interests of minorities.
    I get all this, I know that racism still exists. And it is because of the racist attitudes of some in the metro area that I am wondering if the language could be more PC and therefor not be inflammatory. I have talked about this to no end and it's always the same with some people they view this as exclusive and racist.
    Anyone have any ideas as to how this fair announcement could be better worded?

There is this perception among whites that they have to tread very lightly as to any mention of people of color. Including labeling African Americans. Should they be called Blacks, Negros, or African Americans? The PC term seems to change constantly.

Please give some input without racist rants.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Anyone have any ideas as to how this fair announcement could be better worded?
    Upward Mobility Job Fair?

Job Fair for the Under-employed?

Detroit Futures Job Fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Upward Mobility Job Fair?

Job Fair for the Under-employed?

Detroit Futures Job Fair?

"Pathways to Success: Boys and Young Men of Color Opportunity Summit" works just fine.

I don't understand why white people are so defensive when stuff like this happens. It's a job fair. Be happy for these guys.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; November-16-16 at 11:10 AM.

There is this perception among whites that they have to tread very lightly as to any mention of people of color. Including labeling African Americans. Should they be called Blacks, Negros, or African Americans? The PC term seems to change constantly.
    Uhhh as a white person dating an African American woman with a diverse group of friends I have never had this problem of changing terms. What is the context? I can't for the life of me see someone I know being offended by someone referring to their group as African Americans. I can however see someone being offended by Blacks [[see Trump) or being called Negros. I think common sense reigns supreme in this case.

There is nothing inflammatory about this job fair. Instead of labeling a fair for people of color as racist it might be better to look at a country with a history of racism and ask yourself why the unemployment rate affects people of color at a disproportionate rate than those who are white? Why is it that it is tougher for people who don't have caucasian looking names to climb the corporate ladder despite being just as qualified? That is the racism that needs to be addressed, not the name of a fair whose apparent goals are to address such inequalities. I think you might be barking up the wrong tree.

I'm white and I don't feel that way.

There are two generally accepted ways to refer to race when its needed, "black" and "African-American". I've found that in nearly all occasions neither term is needed.

My guess is "white people" get defensive about it because you tend to hear the "racist" label applied to white people more often than any other color group.

So they begin to think - I shouldn't be racist. I shouldn't focus on race. I should be colorblind. I should judge someone not based on the color of their skin but by the content of their character. So they try to think like that.

And then they see advertisements and job fairs that appear to be based on the color of someone's skin. Or a certain percentage of jobs/services billed to minority vendors.

And they get confused. Do you want to notice/be judged on race or not?

Hence the original OP's question.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    My guess is "white people" get defensive about it because you tend to hear the "racist" label applied to white people more often than any other color group.

So they begin to think - I shouldn't be racist. I shouldn't focus on race. I should be colorblind. I should judge someone not based on the color of their skin but by the content of their character. So they try to think like that.

And then they see advertisements and job fairs that appear to be based on the color of someone's skin. Or a certain percentage of jobs/services billed to minority vendors.

And they get confused. Do you want to notice/be judged on race or not?

Hence the original OP's question.
    No, being "colorblind" is just as harmful as being overtly racist. Why? Because if you see everyone one way, you are not recognizing the problems that might persist within their community. How do solve unique problems in certain communities if you don't recognize who they are? If there's high unemployment amongst black and Hispanic youths, then yes a job fair targeted towards blacks and Hispanics is a great thing and addresses the problem.

This is the problem with "All Lives Matter". All lives do matter however historically speaking black lives have always mattered less because of the system's treatment of them. That's why "black lives matter" because they do, not because white people's don't.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No, being "colorblind" is just as harmful as being overtly racist. Why? Because if you see everyone one way, you are not recognizing the problems that might persist within their community. How do solve unique problems in certain communities if you don't recognize who they are? If there's high unemployment amongst black and Hispanic youths, then yes a job fair targeted towards blacks and Hispanics is a great thing and addresses the problem.

This is the problem with "All Lives Matter". All lives do matter however historically speaking black lives have always mattered less because of the system's treatment of them. That's why "black lives matter" because they do, not because white people's don't.
    So true. That is why the Affirmative Action programme was well phrased a long time ago.

It should be viewed as a supplemental tool for the community. If your doctor tells you you are diabetic and you need insulin, are you then going to tell him why not give your wife and kids the same if they don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

Now here's someone "who gets it"

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Now here's someone "who gets it"

Yes they do...👆👆👆

How about older unmarried men that were the last hired?

3000 hours of training had no basis on retention and had no bering on keeping your job.

Kids, and married?, yes you have an in. Are you proficient, no, and a goof off, yes. Keep the job.

Well goodbye old veteran.

Yes, we all face discrimination.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-16-16 at 03:51 PM.