From Crains: "Dan Gilbert's team has two months to submit its development and financing plans to the Detroit Downtown Development Authority for its plan to build a new high-rise building on the former J.L. Hudson's department store site.

It's possible that building, which would sit on the vacant 2-acre site on Woodward, could come in at 60 stories, sources are telling me.

At that height, it would dwarf virtually everything surrounding it, including the nearby David Stott Building, which is 38 stories in Capitol Park at 1150 Griswold St.

The 60-story height is one of several possibilities being weighed by Gilbert's Rock Ventures LLC, I'm told. It's not known exactly how many designs are under consideration. Rock Senior Communications Manager Carolyn Artman said the company "doesn't comment on rumors and speculation."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rning-20161101

I still prefer the glass blob, but wow.

Addendum: I now notice this story was spotted and added by 1953 to the Hudson site thread, but it is such a sensational story it deserves its own highlighting. I'll merge the two later.