Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I don't understand where you're coming from with this.

Here's two big chunks of the actual ordinance being voted on as Prop A. Skim it, it's not that bad.

The first chunk is a list of what the developer and the community reps must discuss during the course of negotiations, although they don't need to agree to actions in every category.

The second chunk is a long list of examples of community benefit programs.

It doesn't seem very onerous to me. It's pretty much just saying "let's take all that warm fuzzy stuff we hear about when we're being asked to help fund a big development, and put it into writing."

Yes, our elected officials / the DEGC should have been doing this. They're not.
    The first chunk says "Community Benefits Agreement shall provide for Community Benefits". The operative word in the sentence is 'shall'. Yes -- there are negotiations about what to provide, but not whether to provide.

I believe that we will do best when people want to locate in Detroit, not when they have to pay tariffs to do so. I believe our communities are best services by good jobs for people, not by bribes paid. Any bribe paid is that much more that it costs to do business in Detroit vs. elsewhere that they don't demand bribes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The first chunk says "Community Benefits Agreement shall provide for Community Benefits". The operative word in the sentence is 'shall'. Yes -- there are negotiations about what to provide, but not whether to provide.

I believe that we will do best when people want to locate in Detroit, not when they have to pay tariffs to do so. I believe our communities are best services by good jobs for people, not by bribes paid. Any bribe paid is that much more that it costs to do business in Detroit vs. elsewhere that they don't demand bribes.
    I agree that the operative word is "shall," but before that is a big "if":

If you want public support for your development, your development shall provide for community benefits.

Straight from the ordinance's mouth again here:
    [[h) “Public Support For Investment” means either or both of:
    [[1) direct or indirect transfer to the developer of city-owned land parcels that have a cumulative market value of Three Hundred Thousand Dollars [[$300,000) or more [[as determined by the City Assessor or independent appraisal), without open bidding or priced below market rates [[where allowed by law); or

[[2) Provision or approval by the City of other forms of public subsidies to the developer, including but not limited to tax abatements or grants, that are cumulatively valued at Three Hundred Thousand Dollars [[$300,000) or more, but not including Neighborhood Enterprise Zones.
    emphasis added.

I don't think it's fair to call the community benefits 'bribes' or 'tariffs.' They're the deliverables for which we, as taxpayers, are paying the developers. Previously these deliverables were fuzzy and intangible, the 'fringe benefits' and 'spinoff development' and all the other amorphous things that we're promised whenever a big deal is in the works.
    Last edited by gvidas; October-31-16 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I agree that the operative word is "shall," but before that is a big "if":

If you want public support for your development, your development shall provide for community benefits.

Straight from the ordinance's mouth again here:

emphasis added.

I don't think it's fair to call the community benefits 'bribes' or 'tariffs.' They're the deliverables for which we, as taxpayers, are paying the developers. Previously these deliverables were fuzzy and intangible, the 'fringe benefits' and 'spinoff development' and all the other amorphous things that we're promised whenever a big deal is in the works.
    Prop A is a shakedown pure and simple.

Detroit will continue to fall further behind in it's entitlement culture as other cities around the world continue to grow.