Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    2. Meijer being 'the first big-box store' in Detroit doesn't worry me too much, better Meijer than Wall-Mart, for at least [[as far as I know) Meijer is a union shop. I doubt it will have much affect on the surrounding small businesses, as there aren't many to affect anyway.
    Meijer is, indeed, a union shop [[at least in most of the states that it operates) and it shows in the higher quality of service, products, and shopping experiences in its stores to comparable big-box grocers. Meijer also doesn't sell firearms, unlike WalMart. All of this came to my surprise over the years considering that the store is owned by a very conservative family.

What I can think of is that eventhough this Meijer is located in the city of Detroit, I don't think that this Meijers will be any different than the Meijers in Livonia and Allen Park/Dearborn. Both clean stores and well used. There are worse neighborhoods in the city then that one. Detroiters have been long short changed when it comes to retailing in their own city which forces them to leave the city with the exception of Eastern Market.I wish this project alot of luck and I hope it gets a ball rolling.

Like ridgeabilly, I will be shopping at this store. As I've said before, people in my area are very excited that this is happening. I still see that Kroger is open on Baseline and Meijers ... perhaps there is hope. /sarcasm.

Meijers is not really all that good quality and prices regarding meats, poultry and fish when compared to other local markets. However, their fruit, veggies and other items are right in line with what I expect when shopping for items. The local Ferndale markets are either fair [[Ferndale Foods) or high quality but pricey [[Western Market). Being able to access a Meijers [[and perhaps whatever else comes in there) just down the street from us will help us support local business, save resources, develops an eyesore and invests in the flyover clean up, which has "took" quite nicely and still looks great.

I think it can and will work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2