Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    Morrison, when I read the that Crains article in the first post, I thought back to the discussion we had recently. You sounded like you knew what was going on, and when I read this, I was rather confused.
    I do try my best to keep up with the projects/ negotiations. I'm a true believer in the current rebirth of Detroit and the success of this project will make the progress permanent, abundant and speedy.

But yes, i like to think i know what i'm talking about

dtown, I guess we agree about something.

Quote Originally Posted by French777 View Post
    Yeah wasn't the delay because of the Environmental Impact Study?
    It wouldn't surprise me. If federal funds are involved, the required EIS can take years. I would be amazed if construction started in 2010.

"It wouldn't surprise me. If federal funds are involved, the required EIS can take years. I would be amazed if construction started in 2010. "

No, it won't take years. Essentially, what they are doing for the EIS is studying the sound - before and after construction, the vibrations - before and after construction, effects on traffic, and air quality.

It doesn't take years, and DDOT has been doing theirs for a while now. Plus, while DDOT/M-1 Rail are doing the Environmental Review, they can also do the Prelimanry Engineering at the same time - to shorten to amount of time needed to have the application ready.

MIRepublic Guest

dcmorrison is correct. I was told by DDOT back in May that they hope to have a RoD [[Record of Decision) on the EIS by spring of next year. The statement/study is being done by Parson's Brinckerhoff, the same firm that designed the Rosa Parks Transit Center.

Carolyn Kilpatrick had said the she sent money to SEMCOG for mass transit and biofuel busses for detroit.; SEMCOG had moved so slowly with distributing the 100,000,000 that it went back to the fed govt. She had said this Sunday on the Frankie Darcell Show. Google the interview. As long as groups, corps, and politicians keep playing these type of games; we woould not get any type of rail line put in. Don't you guys see it?

I find it amusing that Ms. Cheeks-Kilpatrick claims that any money whatever was "sent" to the region and later had to be "returned".

The $100 million, of which she so frequently rants, does not exist and never did exist. There was never $100 million set aside by the federal government for transit in metro Detroit in any form. If I'm wrong, then go ahead, find the $100 million. Find some evidence that any such money was ever set aside for us.

We need to face the single basic fact about transit: until we as a region decide to put serious LOCAL money into transit, nobody else on Earth is going to break their back to help us. We spend, per capita, about one-third as much on transit as other regions of similar population. That's why we get the service we get.

Washington is not going to help us, and Lansing is not going to help us, unless and until we decide to help ourselves, if even then. Ms. Cheeks-Kilpatrick can blow all the smoke she wants; this is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by MIRepublic View Post
    dcmorrison is correct. I was told by DDOT back in May that they hope to have a RoD [[Record of Decision) on the EIS by spring of next year.
    Exactly. It can take years.

I'm working on a project which required an EIS that began in 2007. It was supposed to be completed in Oct. '08, then it was supposed to be completed in April '09, then it was supposed to be completed in July '09...and guess what...still not done. The feds aren't exactly the quickest bunch of workers out there.

Thank you Professorscott!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2