Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

What's frustrating about the Tigers, are their, Jekyll and Hyde offense. They score 10 runs on Monday, then get shutout by a rookie pitcher, last night. JV gives up 1 run, and takes the loss.

I'm more than ready for this team to be sold off. The problem is they are going to be stuck with these extremely overpaid players like Upton and Zimmerman for another 3 years. Paying for Verlander and Cabrera is bad enough but at least we had them during their prime. Worse yet, none of their younger position players like Castellanos and McCann look like they are going to be very good so the team will be rebuilding from scratch with no money to spend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm more than ready for this team to be sold off. The problem is they are going to be stuck with these extremely overpaid players like Upton and Zimmerman for another 3 years. Paying for Verlander and Cabrera is bad enough but at least we had them during their prime. Worse yet, none of their younger position players like Castellanos and McCann look like they are going to be very good so the team will be rebuilding from scratch with no money to spend as well.
    I would definitely agree that Zimmerman is overpaid. They only owe him mid 20's MILLIONS for the next three years. I'm not sure his stuff is good enough for AAA anymore. At least Upton is playable.

And the farm, other than what we obtained in big trades, hasn't produced anything this year.

We are still a year or so away from getting big help from Stewart, Jimenez, etc. and much longer for Burroughs, Manning, etc.

IDEALLY, we should be playing well NOW and have replacements ready for next year, 2019, etc.

IF we trade J.D. we have nothing but Upton in the OF, and the farm doesn't have anyone ready to step in.

As soon as fans want to sell off the Tigers most marketable players, they move back into 'contention'. We've seen this movie before [[crazy case: 2012 Tigers were below .500 in June and some folks wanted to sell and rebuild. The Tigers ended up in the World Series).

Now the Tigers are 1.5 games behind Cleveland in the AL Central.

And their manager just sits with that same dumbfounded look on his face and tries to figure out how this is happening. Imagine if this talented team had a skipper who kept them motivated; a manager who prepared them to play; who drilled them to not make the silly and costly mistakes that lose the close games. Everybody loves the blowouts when the hitters just smack every pitch around the ballpark. But a good manager prepares a team to win the close ones, and to play smart so as to not squander opportunities. Unfortunately, Ausmus isn't the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    And their manager just sits with that same dumbfounded look on his face and tries to figure out how this is happening. Imagine if this talented team had a skipper who kept them motivated; a manager who prepared them to play; who drilled them to not make the silly and costly mistakes that lose the close games. Everybody loves the blowouts when the hitters just smack every pitch around the ballpark. But a good manager prepares a team to win the close ones, and to play smart so as to not squander opportunities. Unfortunately, Ausmus isn't the man.
    That's been my view since Ausmus first took over. But the Sox series was quite satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    A major league manager does not motivate professional players nor does he "teach" how to play the game during the season. The main thing a manager really does that changes the outcome of games is manage the bullpen. This team has all kinds of problems but 99% of it can't be controlled by the manager.
    Does Castellanos not try on those ground balls that get past him or does he just not have the hands and range to be a good defensive 3rd baseman? Do Upton and McCann not try or do they strike out so much because they've never been good contact hitters and have huge upper cut swings? Does KRod throw his fastball slower because he's just collecting the last yr. of 20 yrs. of paychecks? Does VMart not run fast because he's faking those knee problems? It's funny how many managers are geniuses with one team and then go to another organization and are useless or simply lose their managing skills from one year to the next.

Looking back now, I wonder if the Tigers regret trading Eugenio Suarez to the Reds, for Alfredo Simon? Suarez has developed into a pretty good ML 3rd baseman, that hits really well. He is giving the Reds more production, than Castellanos is giving the Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Looking back now, I wonder if the Tigers regret trading Eugenio Suarez to the Reds, for Alfredo Simon? Suarez has developed into a pretty good ML 3rd baseman, that hits really well. He is giving the Reds more production, than Castellanos is giving the Tigers.
    Yeah, another Dombrowski gem. Alfredo is currently a Long Island Duck.

For anyone who has ESPN Insider they have a list of 10 possible closers for trade before the July 31 deadline.

Even with the holes in the lineup, one can easily make the case that the Tigers could be +6 or +8 [[without stretching it) with a decent, but not great, closer. K Rod saves 3 more games and Tigers are in 1st place.

Chris Ilitch and Al Avila may have decisions to make as in the past.

The Tigers could be in buy mode unless Chris is dead set against upping the salary structure of the team.

Are they a faux contender [[even with a good closer)?
    Last edited by emu steve; June-06-17 at 03:36 PM.

BTW, a Tiger win today, and they tie CLE just behind the surprising Twins.

K Rod has been a huge disappoint and cost us games. Buck Farmer has been a huge surprise and got us two wins.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, a Tiger win today, and they tie CLE just behind the surprising Twins.

K Rod has been a huge disappoint and cost us games. Buck Farmer has been a huge surprise and got us two wins.
    Yeah, the Tribe got swept bad, by another surprising team, The Colorado Rockies, 11-3 and 8-1.

Bullpen blows another lead....Things get tougher tonight, with Sale on the bump.

Bullpen blows another lead....Things get tougher tonight, with Sale on the bump.
    Yep. The pen is keeping us out of the AL Central lead.

MLB draft is Monday.

Here is an article on recent top Tigers' picks working their way through the farm system. Still one to say three years away... Stewart [[2018) and Burroughs a possible star in 2019. Manning in 2020?

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ss...incart_m-rpt-2

P.S. a number of stars were drafted including JV, Porcello, Andrew Miller, etc.

We traded Miller and Corey Knebel, both of whom are very good relievers. [[Miller is 'better than' very good, but we got Miggy so that was a good trade).
    Last edited by emu steve; June-11-17 at 04:26 AM.

Too bad the Tigers were cutting payroll, because if they traded for Miller last year, he would be the closer to solve their bullpen problems. But I'm not sure the Tigers had the high ranking prospects to trade, like the Indians did. They cleaned out the farm on prior transactions.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-11-17 at 12:22 PM.

Too bad the Tigers were cutting payroll, because if they traded for Miller last year, he would be the closer to solve their bullpen problems. But I'm not sure the Tigers had the high ranking prospects to trade, like the Indians did. They cleaned out the farm on prior transactions.
    Not sure one relief pitcher would make much difference the way the team is performing. Hitting, pitching and defense are all bad. Oh yeah, base running is worse. I had a great road trip vacation planned for early Aug. to Baltimore and Pittsburgh but I decided to cancel and put my tickets on Stubhub.

Might be the end of the road, for our old friend, Jhonny Peralta. I see StL designated him for assignment. Maybe some team picks him up for a bench piece.

Might be the end of the road, for our old friend, Jhonny Peralta. I see StL designated him for assignment. Maybe some team picks him up for a bench piece.
    Maybe if the Tigers move both Kinsler and Iglesias at the deadline Jhonny can play alongside Infante the 2nd half!

He had some pop in his bat but his defense leaved a lot to be desired. He was like a cigar store Indian in the infield.

Vmart and Miggy are not hitting for power. They cant have those guys hitting singles. They clog up the base paths.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Vmart and Miggy are not hitting for power. They cant have those guys hitting singles. They clog up the base paths.
    I wonder how healthy Miggy is? 85 - 90%.

I wonder if 2018 will be V-Mart's last year?

I kind of hoped that a collegiate 1B fell to the Tigers [[one went to Seattle the pick before Tigers last night in the draft). I would think that by 2019 Miggy wouldn't be playing more than 100 games at first and would play 50+ games at DH, partially replacing V-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I wonder how healthy Miggy is? 85 - 90%.

I wonder if 2018 will be V-Mart's last year?

I kind of hoped that a collegiate 1B fell to the Tigers [[one went to Seattle the pick before Tigers last night in the draft). I would think that by 2019 Miggy wouldn't be playing more than 100 games at first and would play 50+ games at DH, partially replacing V-Mart.
    I think after V-Mart's deal is off the books, Miggy will be the fulltime DH. His contract runs until 2023, unless they trade him. And the Cards waived Peralta today.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-13-17 at 03:10 PM.

I think after V-Mart's deal is off the books, Miggy will be the fulltime DH. His contract runs until 2023, unless they trade him. And the Cards waived Peralta today.
    Miggy now admitting he's got several nagging injuries and VMart clogging up the DH spot means neither is healthy or productive. Hopefully they buyout/trade VMart at the deadline. I realize these guys rush to get the game story on the internet but how can you write that Verlander is the winning pitcher in the same article where you're writing how KRod blew the lead [[again). Note: This will probably be updated.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...ong/102909880/

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast