Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

K-Rod has blown 2 consecutive saves, in games the Tigers should have won. What the hell is Ausmus doing? His pitching has been putrid, he has no command of the strike zone anymore, and lost his confidence. They should audition someone else to be the closer, like maybe Justin Wilson. I understand a closer will blow a save every now and then, but you can't give away 2 games like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    K-Rod has blown 2 consecutive saves, in games the Tigers should have won. What the hell is Ausmus doing? His pitching has been putrid, he has no command of the strike zone anymore, and lost his confidence. They should audition someone else to be the closer, like maybe Justin Wilson. I understand a closer will blow a save every now and then, but you can't give away 2 games like that.
    Audition who?

My guess is that the Tigers will need to go shopping in July.

The big question is: Will the damage be done and they have slipped out of contention because of failing to close games?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Watching this team is like thinking about going to the dentist. You know there's going to be pain but you do it anyways. Of course, the difference is you usually have a problem fixed after seeing the dentist. Tigers are a 50-50 possibility.
    I would frame it differently:

W/out a solid closer this team is probably sub/500 team.

With a solid closer this team is probably an 86 or 87 win team.

The big question is what humanly possible can Avila do to solve the problem.

Neither money nor closers grow on trees. The farm doesn't have a closer ready. July trade???? Can we remain close until trade market start to heat up? Do we trade some from our refurbished farm system for a closer?

The Tigers aren't going to go looking for a closer now or at the deadline. They are looking to get younger and cheaper so the last thing they should do is bring in another over-the-hill closer, which is the only one that would be available.
    You simply move everybody up and notch and hope for the best. J. Wilson closes, A. Wilson pitches the 8th and Greene should be kept in the 6th/7th role because he's capable of pitching two innings. Rodriguez should be given his release. He clearly has nothing left and wouldn't be suited to the middle innings anyway.

5. Default

He'll get two more shots before anything happens. That's the way it works with vets like him. After that they may have to try him for the seventh or eighth inning situations to see if he can find his magic again. What's troublesome is that age is taking down his velocity. The Tigers need a thunder arm option for some opponents. Rondon was a disappointment on that front.

I hope he gets it back together and can close out at least four out of five save attempts. That will give us a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    He'll get two more shots before anything happens. That's the way it works with vets like him. After that they may have to try him for the seventh or eighth inning situations to see if he can find his magic again. What's troublesome is that age is taking down his velocity. The Tigers need a thunder arm option for some opponents. Rondon was a disappointment on that front.

I hope he gets it back together and can close out at least four out of five save attempts. That will give us a chance.
    I think Sat & Sun already were his two more shots. Having him blow games in the 7th or 8th inning will just finish off any chance that's left.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I hope he gets it together too, I just can't see Ausmas putting him on the mound in a save situation the way he's throwing the ball now. He's getting slammed all over the park and not only is his velocity down, his control isn't up to snuff either. Wilson seems like the no brainer better choice right now - they can't afford to give away any more games.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Tigers aren't going to go looking for a closer now or at the deadline. They are looking to get younger and cheaper so the last thing they should do is bring in another over-the-hill closer, which is the only one that would be available.
    You simply move everybody up and notch and hope for the best. J. Wilson closes, A. Wilson pitches the 8th and Greene should be kept in the 6th/7th role because he's capable of pitching two innings. Rodriguez should be given his release. He clearly has nothing left and wouldn't be suited to the middle innings anyway.

This......Tigers already have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in MLB. Good closers won't come cheap. They will just have to settle on someone in house currently.

The Tigers have a higher payroll than even the Yankees. They have the second highest payroll in baseball; over 200 million. And they failed in dropping salaries over the winter, as they intended.

This means there's basically no chance of the Tigers trading for a pricey closer [[or really trading for anyone who adds salary). They'll either compete this year and maintain payroll, or not compete and dump payroll.

That's why I think they'll stick with Rodriguez for a bit more. There isn't a Plan B, outside of Toledo.

As much as it was a dumb move signing these veteran pitchers to big money, it's also been some bad luck that Pelfrey, Sanchez, Lowe, Rodriguez and Zimmerman would all either decline or totally flame out at the same time. Meanwhile the Tigers haven't developed one decent bullpen piece themselves in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As much as it was a dumb move signing these veteran pitchers to big money, it's also been some bad luck that Pelfrey, Sanchez, Lowe, Rodriguez and Zimmerman would all either decline or totally flame out at the same time. Meanwhile the Tigers haven't developed one decent bullpen piece themselves in several years.
    Rondon looked like that guy for awhile, but unfortunately he's another example of an athlete that has the talent but is not willing to put in the work.

Jiminez might be the next one up.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Rondon looked like that guy for awhile, but unfortunately he's another example of an athlete that has the talent but is not willing to put in the work.

Jiminez might be the next one up.
    Rondon can't control his weight. If he loses a few pounds, he might be more effective. He definitely has the arm, plus, it's on him. He has to want it.

Wild game last night. Tigers fought back, but the Bird's HR power proved to be too much. J Wilson was one out from getting a save, when Chris Davis homered to send the game to extra innings. JD Martinez's grand slam gave them the lead, they couldn't hold, because they keep trotting out K-Rod. Tough loss.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-17-17 at 03:17 PM.

Without major changes, they'll be lucky to finish at .500. Also disappointing but not unexpected were all the empty seats at the park last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Without major changes, they'll be lucky to finish at .500. Also disappointing but not unexpected were all the empty seats at the park last night.
    Announced attendance was 25,109 [[60% full), so I guess you're right. I'm sure some left early, it went 13 innings.

I saw all those empty seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I'm not disappointed in the fans for not showing up. With the way this team is performing they don't deserve large crowds. I would love to know if Avila has gone to ownership about releasing Sanchez and Rodriguez. There is no excuse for keeping them around.

Pelfrey beats Tigers 8-2. That would officially be rock bottom. Let the sell-off begin!

With this lineup, with this payroll, this is not acceptable. Go ahead, tell me I'm crazy but this team needs a big knocker because the ones they have aren't getting it done.

Jesus, watched last night and the first game today, and this team is turning pitiful. I blame Asmus as much as anyone; he's a limp leader as far as I'm concerned. And, boo hoo, the players are saying they're tired because of the travel and delays. Well, turn you salaries over to charity then, you wimps.

I'm outta here with the Tigers.

They wasted another super pitching performance from Fulmer, because they can't score with RISP, and they struck out 29 times in the 2 games, 15 the 1st game, and 14 the 2nd. Farmer struck out 11 in the night cap, and they tried to give that one away. Looks like they'll be sellers at the trade deadline.

It's going to be difficult to get top prospects with what the Tigers have to offer. Ideally you have players under control for an extra year at reasonable cost or you have a stud pitcher like Price was. JD Martinez and Kinsler are expiring contracts and the guys with years left [[Zimmerman, Upton, Victor) are underperforming, overpaid or both.

Speaking of Zimmermann, he looks like a shell of himself, when he was with the Nats. He's becoming Sanchez, giving up those BP fastballs. That albatross contract is untradeable, unless the Tigers pick up most of it.

I'm amazed that a pro baseball team approached this season without any plan for center field. We not only don't have one at the major league level, we don't even have one in the minors that can adequately field the position. Field & no-hit I can handle....no field & no hit is totally unacceptable. Considering the dimensions of Comerica Park, that lack of off-season planning falls squarely on Mr. Avila.

The biggest strategic mistake the Tigers have made in the last 2-3 years was not letting Dombrowski move Cabrera. The long-term contract he signed with the Tigers eventually became a deal for any team desperate for offense.
    It's time for the Tigers to embrace the original Comerica Park plan of pitching, speed, & defense.

Maybe they should try and coax Prince Fielder out of retirement - at least that guy could get some clutch hits - yeah he ran like a whale, but so do some of the guys they got now, couldn't be any worse.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast