Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I cross paths with 2-3 on my way to/from the office daily. I never make eye contact and I never respond. Sometimes insults are hurled my way. I usually smile in response. I'm an organ donor, so it all comes out the in wash. Isn't that right Jesus?

One of my mother's regular clients is a paramedic hired by Gilbert. Last I knew, she was normally stationed in Cadillac Square. If something happens to a random person in front of her, she cannot intervene. She is there strictly to respond to calls from Bedrock/Rock Security/whatever they call it. I mostly find this ridiculous, but I suppose I can understand how big of an issue it would be that they assisted a random person and then were called by QL or whatever.

So, anyway, it would make sense that Gilbert security wouldn't do anything about it.

A few years ago there was a young professional female who lives Giberttown Detroit who been carjacked by two black dudes in their hoodies. She was thinking about moving out but decides to stay. She is not giving in to criminals. Detroit is developing from Giberttown to Midtown and further to once black communities. There are still DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS, mutants, poor folks who live on welfare checks and food stamps. The ghetto hoods from Detroit River to 8 Mile Rd. When you developing areas to lure young professionals in, first thing their mind is:

1. SECURITY, SECURITY, SECURITY

2. PARKING

3. BUSINESSES

Without those things they will not come.

For Jazz Convenient Store on Woodward Business Corridor. It does not belong there. It's luring loiters that compares to the dreaded Mack-Bewick Market in Detroit's East Side. It has got to go to an area where loiters are free hang out. Once Gilbert and Shinola puts up their five star hotel. Those rich folks don't see a bum standing and lying down next their ritzy lifestyle.
    Last edited by Danny; September-21-16 at 03:37 PM.

What's funny about Jazz is that I see everyone use it. If I ever needed it, I wouldn't mind going in but it does attract, in typical Detroit fashion, the street people to loiter outside of it. Now the liquor store at Woodward and Kenilworth? No thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    @baselinepunk It is not even worth my time to address your comment.

And to those that work downtown, this situation is not very noticeable during the daytime because there are usually so many people around. It is more so at night, after 6pm.

Yes, I am not directing this concern toward Gilbert or anyone in particular obviously; I am simply starting a reasonable dialogue over a subject that will need to be addressed over the next few years in Detroit.

I have no problem with people asking for money. I have a problem when they pee on buildings in broad daylight [[literally on woodward buildings), leave empty beer cans and garbage everywhere on the sidewalks, smoke crack/heroine in the alleys [[I have seen this happen), disrespect women who walk by in many different ways [[this is not right), argue with each other until 2-3 in the morning some nights [[which can be heard by residents), throw things in the street, etc.

The situation has not improved, and nothing has been done to address it. I actually saw 3 guys beating up one older guy around midnight near the old Hudson site [[which is dimly lit). I could care less what they say to me, but I am sure most other women are very uncomfortable with how they are treated.

Newbie ....

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    What's funny about Jazz is that I see everyone use it. If I ever needed it, I wouldn't mind going in but it does attract, in typical Detroit fashion, the street people to loiter outside of it. Now the liquor store at Woodward and Kenilworth? No thank you!
    It's actually pretty nice inside and has a great selection of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Im convinced that Jazz Liquor will be gone once the Shinola Hotel gets close to completion anyway.
    Jazz is actually a nice store with a good selection of products. I think the nature of the products draw the street people, not the seediness of the store itself [[which it really isn't seedy at all). I would hope having the hotel cleans up that block and increases the non-loiterer business for Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    It's actually pretty nice inside and has a great selection of beer.
    much agreed. it's great in a pinch on weekends!

I never understood the concept of giving free money to a complete stranger.

Has DYes become the Twilight zone? Bham is actually making one of my arguments for once...

I wish one of those top flight security guards would approach us on the street while we talk to people in front of the liquor store. I'd get a nice payout if they put one finger on me, thanks to all those high tech Gilbert cameras that now grace every nook and cranny.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; September-24-16 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    Newbie ....
    Exactly. While I haven't been around as long as some, I have been living and/or working downtown for over 10 years now and to say that the panhandling and overall security at all hours of the day in downtown and many other near downtown nabes has not drastically improved is just ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    I wish one of those top flight security guards would approach us on the street while we talk to people in front of the liquor store. I'd get a nice payout if they put one finger on me, thanks to all those high tech Gilbert cameras that now grace every nook and cranny.
    The Detroit Lottery!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Has DYes become the Twilight zone? Bham is actually making one of my arguments for once...

It is pretty crazy that anyone doesn't know the difference between a police officer and a private security person...

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    Exactly. While I haven't been around as long as some, I have been living and/or working downtown for over 10 years now and to say that the panhandling and overall security at all hours of the day in downtown and many other near downtown nabes has not drastically improved is just ludicrous.
    ya you live down town, I been working here for over 20 years, its gottemn a lot worse, they are all over even begging formoney, now more people down here they think they can get lot more money

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2