Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Unfortunately in the this instance the street level parking area on the back [[Centre St.) does nothing to help Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley. Centre St. is now a dead zone for pedestrians, except for the inhabitants of the former Milner Apts.
    and isn't it funny how centre street is now. The Ashley is high end apts and includes Vertical Bar & Dilla's Delights...Colors is right next door. Harmonie Park is on the rise. If retail were integrated into the opera house deck on centre st there would be awesome potential for a thriving block with great trees...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    and isn't it funny how centre street is now. The Ashley is high end apts and includes Vertical Bar & Dilla's Delights...Colors is right next door. Harmonie Park is on the rise. If retail were integrated into the opera house deck on centre st there would be awesome potential for a thriving block with great trees...
    That street reminds me of New York City a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    And like a great weekend, it's over much too soon.

FYI the Means Group [[developer) has 2 other 'projects' on their website:

Greenplace Apartments:not sure on location

Hotel @ District Detroit

http://meansgroup.com/development/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by hybridy; September-08-16 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Reminds me more of Columbus or Toledo maybe even Dayton

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    FYI the Means Group [[developer) has 2 other 'projects' on their website:

Greenplace Apartments:not sure on location

Hotel @ District Detroit

http://meansgroup.com/development/

Very interesting... good find. Looking at the images:

The "Greenplsce Apts" appears to be the same project as the Ashton. Same basic design, same location, and same lack of groundfloor retail.

The hotel rendering appears to be for the SE corner of Park @ Henry. This matches one of the locations floated for a new hotel as part of the arena project.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Or some might say, "The Two Detroits."

Can parts of the city grow and begin to flourish while other parts continue to languish?

Anyone with a good knowledge of Detroit can write either of these two stories.

Do they need to grow [[or decline) in tandem?

Can a city have a strong, growing downtown but have languishing neighborhoods?
    Of course the city can have some parts grow while other parts languish. That's a very common scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    Of course the city can have some parts grow while other parts languish. That's a very common scenario.
    Is it though? The last question seems like the real question.

I don't know of a single city where the man-made destruction of the neighborhoods is as rampant as Detroit's. Chicago has Englewood, LA South Cental, etc but for the most part the major cities across the nation have more so-so to great neighborhoods than the burned out shells we have.

We have a serious neighborhood question. Sure we have University District, Green Acres, Bagely, Midtown, EEV, but there's no denying that the majority of the city's neighborhoods are not relatively safe to live in or there is not even a neighborhood in which to live; just burned out houses and empty fields.

We do have a growing downtown which is getting stronger every day, but there is a need for neighborhoods too. We can't rely on suburbanites and the piittance of downtown/midtown residents forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

I don't know of a single city where the man-made destruction of the neighborhoods is as rampant as Detroit's. Chicago has Englewood, LA South Cental, etc but for the most part the major cities across the nation have more so-so to great neighborhoods than the burned out shells we have.

We have a serious neighborhood question. Sure we have University District, Green Acres, Bagely, Midtown, EEV, but there's no denying that the majority of the city's neighborhoods are not relatively safe to live in or there is not even a neighborhood in which to live; just burned out houses and empty fields.

We do have a growing downtown which is getting stronger every day, but there is a need for neighborhoods too. We can't rely on suburbanites and the piittance of downtown/midtown residents forever.
    You are talking about two different things here. Erikd is saying that it is common to have some parts of a city thriving and some not, which seems true to me. You are saying that there are many parts of the city that are not thriving, and that is a problem, which also seems true. But I don't see that these two ideas are contradictory.

Presumably, if greater downtown continues to thrive, we will see continue to see spillovers into the adjoining areas as we already have. But we will also see a lot a neighborhoods where the buildings continue to be razed. I don't think that having a bunch of prairie is much a problem for the growing parts of the city, and plans like Detroit Future City have come up with imaginative uses for it. I think that although the less-desirable neighborhoods do produce a drag on nearby areas, the real burden of the pre-prairie areas of the city falls on the people living there, and while that is a serious problem, it isn't going to stop the progress in the other parts of the city.

The effect of the decay of many of the peripheral neighborhoods of the city on the growing part seems to me to be relatively small and I believe that most people are able to distinguish the two, which is something I might not have been able to say twenty years ago.
    Last edited by mwilbert; September-13-16 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post

Well you forgot the Villages area, North & South Rosedale Park and Grandmont, Boston-Edison.

Detroit is more than just those big-house fancy neighborhoods and urban prairie/burnt out neighborhoods like Poletown and Brightmoor. There is a big middle-ground.

There is my neighborhood, Warrendale, as well as other westside neighborhoods like:
    -Old Redford
    -The Aviation Subdivision
    -Crary-St. Mary's
    -neighborhoods surrounding West Outer Drive except Brightmoor
    -Parkland
    -The Eye
    -Russell Woods-Sullivan
    -Oakman Boulevard
    -Fitzgerald
    -Martin Park
    -The neighborhoods surrounding Mumford High School
    -La Salle Gardens

East Side neighborhoods like:
    -Morningside
    -Jefferson-Chalmers
    -Conant Gardens
    -Various high-rise apartments along Jefferson
    -Greyhaven Island
    -new suburban style neighborhoods near the east riverfront

Southwest neighborhoods like:
    -Hubbard-Richard
    -Hubbard Farms
    -Vernor-Junction
    -Vernor-Springwells

Central neighborhoods like:
    -Palmer Park Apartments district
    -Grixdale, google streetview here
    -Woodward Village, google streetview here
    -Boston-Edison
    -New Center
    -Atkinson Avenue
    Last edited by masterblaster; September-14-16 at 01:00 PM. Reason: make it more clearer

Interesting listing.

https://www.redfin.com/MI/Detroit/65...home/113722683

Website has been updated considerably as well as the expected completion year.

http://ashtondetroit.com/

So construction will begin this year, what's up?

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Well you forgot the Villages area, North & South Rosedale Park and Grandmont, Boston-Edison.

Detroit is more than just those big-house fancy neighborhoods and urban prairie/burnt out neighborhoods like Poletown and Brightmoor. There is a big middle-ground.

There is my neighborhood, Warrendale, as well as other westside neighborhoods like:
    -Old Redford
    -The Aviation Subdivision
    -Crary-St. Mary's
    -neighborhoods surrounding West Outer Drive except Brightmoor
    -Parklandr
    -The Eye
    -Russell Woods-Sullivan
    -Oakman Boulevard
    -Fitzgerald
    -Martin Park
    -The neighborhoods surrounding Mumford High School
    -La Salle Gardens

East Side neighborhoods like:
    -Morningside
    -Jefferson-Chalmers
    -Conant Gardens
    -Various high-rise apartments along Jefferson
    -Greyhaven Island
    -new suburban style neighborhoods near the east riverfront

Southwest neighborhoods like:
    -Hubbard-Richard
    -Hubbard Farms
    -Vernor-Junction
    -Vernor-Springwells

Central neighborhoods like:
    -Palmer Park Apartments district
    -Grixdale, google streetview here
    -Woodward Village, google streetview here
    -Boston-Edison
    -New Center
    -Atkinson Avenue
    The Gratiot to Mack, Vandyke to McClellan, is a potential area to develop l

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    So construction will begin this year, what's up?
    Typical Detroit fashion to announce the completion year of a project but throw red tape on the beginning of construction. Someone probably wanted their personal contractors on this project so kickbacks are giving

My guess would be that by listing units that are not going to be ready until 2019 they are getting their product out there competing against City Modern Brush Park phase 2.

Still not tall enough tho. The property would have fantastic views of the city and river if they got off the ground some. 12 is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    My guess would be that by listing units that are not going to be ready until 2019 they are getting their product out there competing against City Modern Brush Park phase 2.

Still not tall enough tho. The property would have fantastic views of the city and river if they got off the ground some. 12 is not enough.

If you're on the 12th floor you'll have a nice view. Anybody below the 8-9th will have a decent view of Canada and the Ambassador Bridge. Looking into the CBD however basically looks blocked by the Fort Shelby. It is lacking, yes, but that area of downtown between the Lodge and Washington needs some help. Hopefully this investment [[if it actually happens) will be a springboard for that area. Consider the following potential investments in that area, either rumored, starting, or in progress:

The Ashton
    Book Building & Tower
    Statler City Apts
    United Artists
    DTE pocket park
    Free Press Building

There are also a few large parking lots in that area that could be developed, plus just to the south the JLA site and parking garage development. Hopefully whatever happens there reconnects to downtown. There is a lot of potential in that area especially with Corktown & the development taking place there as well. I might even claim that for downtown, aside from The District development, this might be the next major area to see investment.

The sign for the Ashton went up today on the fence around the parking lot it aims to replace. It strikes me that bringing residential to this part of downtown could really change the character of this area for the better.

Name:  2017-08-16 12.10.30.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  87.2 KB

Must have sold 50% already unless that underwriting rule doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The sign for the Ashton went up today on the fence around the parking lot it aims to replace. It strikes me that bringing residential to this part of downtown could really change the character of this area for the better.

Name:  2017-08-16 12.10.30.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  87.2 KB

_____lol!_____

Putting a sign up don't mean shit. Last I checked they put a sign up for "The Mondrian" as well. Until there are shovels in the ground nothing is a given, even then it can be iffy as evidenced by the footings/pond next to the Hammer and Nail building.

Soon Gilberttown Detroit will look like Little Seattle in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Putting a sign up don't mean shit. Last I checked they put a sign up for "The Mondrian" as well. Until there are shovels in the ground nothing is a given, even then it can be iffy as evidenced by the footings/pond next to the Hammer and Nail building.
    A few years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But now, I think downtown's at the point now that we can be sure this project's happening [[fencing and signage would be enough in any other big city).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    A few years ago, I would have agreed with you.

But now, I think downtown's at the point now that we can be sure this project's happening [[fencing and signage would be enough in any other big city).
    Fencing and signage are standard and necessary to market any condo construction. Gives potential buyers a feeling that the project is a go and construction will start soon. It's not enough in any city to mean the project is actually happening until enough units are sold to satisfy the developers that they should start construction.

I don't get the negativity about this project.

The developer has a financial backer and they own the land. Unless the economy went to shit [[totally possible, but doesn't look likely in the near term), there's no reason why this won't happen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast