Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Nice to see them just finding a lot to buy and building on it. I'm also assuming based on the rendering that whatever they're doing with the art deco building it won't be affecting the exterior on 3rd, but the article says ground floor retail which I'm assuming is there, so maybe they'll be modifying the facade after all.

I agree that having something better at ground level on the new portion would be better but then again on literally the entire stretch of 3rd street downtown there's not a single building with an engaging ground floor except for maybe a tiny bar and possibly the church. Most of the buildings are parking garages and utilitarian buildings. The west side of downtown has a weird assortment of buildings.

One thing that's for sure is that the building is very shiny.
    Last edited by Jason; September-07-16 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Nice to see them just finding a lot to buy and building on it. I'm also assuming based on the rendering that whatever they're doing with the art deco building it won't be affecting the exterior on 3rd, but the article says ground floor retail which I'm assuming is there, so maybe they'll be modifying the facade after all.

I agree that having something better at ground level on the new portion would be better but then again on literally the entire stretch of 3rd street downtown there's not a single building with an engaging ground floor except for maybe a tiny bar and possibly the church. Most of the buildings are parking garages and utilitarian buildings. The west side of downtown has a weird assortment of buildings.

One thing that's for sure is that the building is very shiny.

I agree there is not much street level activity on that side of downtown, and off the go, whatever ground floor retail is included is probably going to have a tough go to make any profit.

That being said, you have to start somewhere. If the downtown boom continues, eventually it is going to spread to west downtown. And if you let this development get away without it, you start a bad precedent with the next development who could then also argue why they should provide unprofitable ground floor retail when there is still little other retail nearby.

Even if it is just vacant storefronts [[ala Book Cadillac Garage) that sits for years, that is okay because eventually the street activity will get to a point where it is profitable when other developments follow. But again, you have to start somewhere... and starting with a ground floor garage is not going to cut it.

Maybe this is just an early rendering. Let's hope at least. I thought ground floor parking garages were banned in the central business district.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Maybe this is just an early rendering. Let's hope at least. I thought ground floor parking garages were banned in the central business district.
    The law has variances that developers can ask for. Such as the entire first floor doesn't have to be all retail/commercial space. When the Detroit Opera House was built a few years back, they got a variance to have all the retail on the Broadway side in what appears to be a 2 story addition, which is all commercial space to the right [[in the middle of this image).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/15...487128!6m1!1e1

Unfortunately in the this instance the street level parking area on the back [[Centre St.) does nothing to help Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley. Centre St. is now a dead zone for pedestrians, except for the inhabitants of the former Milner Apts.

So the entire first floor of The Ashton does not necessarily have to be commercial space if some other variance is proposed by the developer and agreed to by the city.
    Last edited by Gistok; September-08-16 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Unfortunately in the this instance the street level parking area on the back [[Centre St.) does nothing to help Harmonie Park/Paradise Valley. Centre St. is now a dead zone for pedestrians, except for the inhabitants of the former Milner Apts.
    and isn't it funny how centre street is now. The Ashley is high end apts and includes Vertical Bar & Dilla's Delights...Colors is right next door. Harmonie Park is on the rise. If retail were integrated into the opera house deck on centre st there would be awesome potential for a thriving block with great trees...

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    and isn't it funny how centre street is now. The Ashley is high end apts and includes Vertical Bar & Dilla's Delights...Colors is right next door. Harmonie Park is on the rise. If retail were integrated into the opera house deck on centre st there would be awesome potential for a thriving block with great trees...
    That street reminds me of New York City a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    And like a great weekend, it's over much too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Reminds me more of Columbus or Toledo maybe even Dayton