Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That would be wonderful news Lowell. From the exterior it is one of Detroit's Art Deco jewels. And the interior is was a Mayan fantasy. I do believe that Charles Agree took some of the old Fisher Theatre Mayan cartouche plasterwork casts and reused them to finish off the exotic interior of the Vanity.

In 1927 Charles Agree hired 2 architects away from Chicago's Rapp & Rapp Architectural firm [[known for the Chicago Theatre, the Michigan Theatre/Building, and the Leland House Hotel)... to help him designing the 1927 built Hollywood Theatre on Fort St. on the west side [[Detroit's largest neighborhood theatre with 3436 seats, razed 1963). Those 2 architects formed the architectural office of Graven & Mayger.... with their major Detroit commission being the old Mayanesque Fisher Theatre. Their partnership lasted only 18 months in 1927 and 1928... and I think that Agree took a lot of ideas from that short lived team.
    Gistok, this image may answer a couple questions and create a couple more, but then you probably have seen it.
    As for the Vanity I am not holding my breath. Until its completely rehabbed I will not believe that the project will go forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; August-24-16 at 10:04 PM.