Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

A good listen for anyone who wants to really understand the issue.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/22/487033...d-restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    A good listen for anyone who wants to really understand the issue.

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/22/487033...d-restrictions
    I'm gonna listen next, but first I wanted to put out my pre-research assumption on this.

Republicans aren't targeting blacks at all here. They're trying to limit damage from straight-party voting AGAINST Trump. They're petrified that Trump'll kill the 'down ballot' Repubicans.

So let's see what National Communist Radio has to say now...
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; August-17-16 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    So let's see what National Communist Radio as to say now...

Not sure if sarcastic or serious and unoriginal...

I'm gonna listen next, but first I wanted to put out my pre-research assumption on this.

Republicans aren't targeting blacks at all here. They're trying to limit damage from straight-party voting AGAINST Trump. They're petrified that Trump'll kill the 'down ballot' Repubicans.

So let's see what National Communist Radio as to say now...
    Well considering this stuff started before Trump I am going to go ahead and poo poo that right now. Maybe try to have an open mind and listen to an interview with someone who actually did research on the topic and wrote a book, even if it might not jive with whatever crazy view you might have of NPR.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Well considering this stuff started before Trump I am going to go ahead and poo poo that right now. Maybe try to have an open mind and listen to an interview with someone who actually did research on the topic and wrote a book, even if it might not jive with whatever crazy view you might have of NPR.
    I love NPR! I even have friends who are NPR!

The story was a replay of an old interview. Good background on a fine law that did its job. But 50 years later is old and tired. A timeless approval purgatory for certain states isn't needed to ensure good access to the polls. Pass a good national law if you want, but this historical anacronism is better gone away. But it was necessary and good in 1965 when I was in diapers the first time.

As to NPR vs NCR, they're pretty good. They do better than most media, frankly, in stepping back and balancing their coverage. But there's a kernel of truth to the NCR moniker, don't ya think?

The story was a replay of an old interview. Good background on a fine law that did its job. But 50 years later is old and tired. A timeless approval purgatory for certain states isn't needed to ensure good access to the polls. Pass a good national law if you want, but this historical anacronism is better gone away. But it was necessary and good in 1965 when I was in diapers the first time.

As to NPR vs NCR, they're pretty good. They do better than most media, frankly, in stepping back and balancing their coverage. But there's a kernel of truth to the NCR moniker, don't ya think?
    +5 WM, funniest line of the week.

Did you listen to the whole thing or just the part about the voting rights act? It goes much deeper and is current to todays voter suppression laws with a little history of how the idea came to be in the first place.

NPR is left leaning but that is by no means "communist" as you put it. I happen to think that they do a good job of reporting the facts as they are, not balancing things out to make everyone happy.