Plans have been announced to dismantle the Heidelberg Project, although in part or whole is not clear. If you read Mark Stryker's article in the Freep, the direction is vague.

This is understandable as some of the grander moves mentioned, like moving the Polka Dot house to a museum would take considerable negotiations.

The feeling I took away from the article is that Tyree Guyton is retiring and cashing out. I can understand that and I think he deserves a jack pot for all he has done. Payment in the arts is slim and often late, many times posthumously to the heirs. His project has been like a website, free but costly and surviving on uncertain donations, grants and sales. He has international acclaim and collectors and museums are placing his work in their collections. Time to benefit.

He seems determined that the institution of the Heidelberg Project will continue with arts and community activities seemingly morphed on the same site. I get he feeling he is standing down for a more private artist life.