Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Making Detroit's Flag Our Symbol

Hello everyone! I'm Chris, also known as Detroit Raver, and I love how vibrant and genuine we are as a city, and as Michiganders.

I wanted to bring up the issue of our city's flag as I've been wanting something as a proud symbol we can carry everywhere as part of our civic pride. The city's core is growing, and there is a resurgence in the past few years that I haven't seen in this city for a long time. I know we Detroiters are fiercely proud of our city [[maybe not our city/county government) but we haven't had a strong symbol to unite us as Detroiters other than the Old English D of the Tigers and other sport symbols.

Now in support of this growth of Detroit, and for further progress we hope will come, I want to have a simple flag we can all fly and recognize. Now a few cities come to mind when you think of a really good flag, such as Chicago, DC, and Portland. At any random music festival, you can bet you will see the Chicago flags flown or worn everywhere, even by the suburbanites! Where are the Detroit flags?

Now I hope I'm not rambling too much, but vexillologists [[flag experts) point out that flags are best identified with when they are simple and lack a seal of the city or state. There's a good Ted Talk discussing this. I love our city's flag, and I appreciate the symbolism behind the seal, yet I can recognize when one should be separated from the other. I like how unique our history can be represented by our flag, but it doesn't need extra symbolism with the overly complicated clip-art.

That's why I took to removing the seal from the flag to show we can have a symbol that is easy enough to draw or color in, and fly or wear nationwide. Now I am posting this as a point of conversation and I wanna know what everyone thinks of this idea. Thanks!
    Name:  Detroit3.png
Views: 1023
Size:  74.3 KB
    Last edited by Detroit Raver; August-11-16 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Changed flag from 5-4-4 to 4-5-4 star arrangement to look more symmetrical