Anybody have any Detroit-related Pokemon Go stories or comments? By now I am sure most have heard about the Pokemon Go App and game that has almost instantly exploded into the biggest bona fide fad of this new century. I've heard about Campus Martius being flooded with players. Within a couple of weeks its active users surpassed Twitter's.

Pokemon has been around for about two decades. Parents like me who had a kid in the 90's remember it well as those collectible coin-like objects whose appeal we could never understand. This has gone virtual and all those kids have smart phones.

For those unfamiliar, this example, set on an OCC campus, describes what Pokemon involves. [locally pronounced pohk'-ee-mahn]

The latest game uses GPS technology to put players on a real-world map. Pokemon — a portmanteau for “pocket monsters” — also appear on this map, and players may find and catch them via their smartphones. Augmented-reality technology also lets people take pictures of the virtual Pokemon creatures in real-world settings.

Mayuiers said that there are numerous Pokestops in and around the campuses where you can charge up and get extra Pokeballs, find a Pokegym at the Doris Mosher Foundation House and more.

Meanwhile, players are encouraged to visit Pokestops, which are placed at real-life landmarks, to gain access to virtual game items.
http://www.candgnews.com/news/%E2%80...campuses-94602
Some things intriguing I have noticed... I like the physical aspect of it, that the players are actually walking around. Even if their noses are glued to their mobile screens at least they are off their asses. Business potential is interesting as Pokemons can be bought as lures for foot traffic.