I was taught that trucks and other slower vehicles should drive in the rightmost lane unless passing an even slower-moving vehicle or preparing to make a left turn. In the last few months, however, I've seen more and more trucks driving in the center lane on main roads and highways with three or four lanes in each direction. This is not a simple passing maneuver because they remain in that lane for miles, causing faster-moving traffic behind them to pass them, sometimes on their right side. Is this some sort of organized campaign or just bad driving practice?

More generally, I wish all drivers on multi-lane roads would move to the right when possible and let faster traffic pass on the left. I drive Telegraph Rd [[US24) southbound every day from M-59 in Waterford to Ten Mile Rd. in Southfield. There are three or four lanes in each direction on Telegraph. I am often stuck in the left lane behind vehicles who are going slower than prevailing traffic when other lanes to the right are clear. This forces faster cars to try to pass the slower cars on the right, adding to congestion and slowing everyone down.