Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
Zingerman’s is unique to Ann Arbor. I lived in Ann Arbor for ~ 20 years, and I worked with Ari and Paul [[the two original owners) way back in the day – 1980. Both of them work for Main Streets Ventures, and helped opened a restaurant named Maude’s. Paul left right after I started, but I worked with Ari about a year before he left and they both started this deli called Zingerman’s – there is no Mr. Zingerman. Both of them are the nicest guys, gentlemen to a tee.
The food at Zingerman’s is absolutely the best available in the markets of America, if not the world. Ari travels the globe every year – at least he did – searching and sourcing the finest ingredients to offer their customers. The result is a deli to equal to any deli in New York city. Second to none.
Ann Arbor is a cosmopolitan city; unlike any other Big Ten college town. Its students – and more importantly their parents – are worldly and wealthy, not to mention they visit often, and Zingerman’s line out the door on football Saturday’s is legendary. Ann Arborites are diverse, highly educated, and economically comfortable.
Not sure if Detroit, or Detroiters, downtown or not, is ready for a Zingerman’s. Sandwiches are $15.00 to $20.00, there are two sizes, and the smaller portion is stuffed with enough melt in your mouth meat [[the lean pastrami is heaven), served on thick cut homemade bread to satisfy a hungry bear. Not for the faint of heart, size or price.
I’ve eaten ate Zingerman’s Roadhouse as well – top notch, not white glove – but again the finest ingredients. We had the Cowboy steaks, I want to say $50.00 each.
A Certified gourmands Heaven – the deli is more like a deli in Paris.
I could go on and on about their food, and rare and hard to find pantry staples.
Their olive oil and balsamic vinegar collection is like picking a fine wine – some complete with registration numbers.
And Ann Arbor people wonder why people think of them as snobby.

Zingerman's isn't some Ann Arbor secret. I'm sure Detroit, with plenty of Michigan fans and alums, would welcome a Zingerman's outpost in Detroit. They already know the cost and what they get out of it.