Megabucks developer Peter Cummings, son-in-law of the late billionaire Max M. Fisher, has announced the creation of a company called Platform with initial plans to created 1000 residential units that "will be within walking distance of the tracks. Cummings plans a mixture of rehabs and new construction. There will also be roughly 150,000 square feet of commercial space."

They will begin with the Fisher and Kahn buildings which he and his partners bought last year. As you may recall he also announced plans to build new residential units on W. Grand Blvd. It seems he is to be the Dan Gilbert of New Center. From Detroit News.

Musing: I admit I don't 'get' the Qline. In a city and metropolis where life is very difficult without a car, to the point where everyone who can will own one. I ask myself, in a such a short stretch already overlapped by frequent bus lines, who will use the Qline other than special event situations or the few who will work, live and play there?

Nonetheless Qline, along with the rise of green zone Detroit, is creating a strong enough illusion that the Qline actually is stimulating development. Maybe carless in Detroit will become a possibility with a combination of ride sharing solutions like Uber and Lyt, [that GM just bought ] and pooled ownerships.

Thoughts?