Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense to at least see a drawing first before making judgement? All you're doing is basing your decision on a preconceived notion.....
    I am going to enjoy seeing the reaction to this "seven story tower" when it is actually shorter and in line with the other buildings around it.

Apparently the notion of Detroit beginning to resemble a true urban area is scary to some

Check out the Farmer's Market in St. Paul Minnesota. It is right downtown and flanked on at least two sides by fairly high rise commercial and residential use. In measly little St. Paul... And it's just great [[though obviously I am partial to the more diverse, larger, more impressive Eastern Market).

The notion that the sheds need an expansive buffer of surface parking and other waste areas is, if I may, insane.

And the notion that the market [no pun intended] won't determine for itself whether the Market is a good place for residential use is also insane. I'd probably pay a premium, myself, for the access to food and culture. And anyone who has lived in a non-single family home urban area, particularly outside of Detroit, is already accustomed to having passersby and noise outside their window day and night. And Eastern Market is quiet [[probably a bit too quiet) at night as it is.

"ruining the dynamic of a Detroit institution with their bullshit."

They're constructing a small apartment building not leveling it for parking. As Mackinaw said above Detroit functioning like a normal urban area is something people shouldn't be freaking out over.

No one is mentioning the larger "Food Innovation Zone" part of the plan that encompasses the empty blocks between Gratiot, St Aubin, Mack, and Grandy. This could do many things--hugely expand the footprint of Eastern Market's boundaries, beautify and bring employment and people to an area in desperate need of some attention, shift the focus of truck traffic, distribution & food services, and in turn open up the historic part of the market to more commercial and residential development. EM's older buildings and narrow streets are forcing the food industry to look elsewhere already. And if you look closely at the plan they are palcing a kind of market square on Wilkins near Chene. Warehouses might not sound sexy, but the plan is proposing to build them in line with the rest of the market's buildings, surround them with greenways, gardens, and other uses, etc.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; May-19-16 at 07:43 PM. Reason: words /typo

Good point, Gsg. The best markets are "real markets", not just glorified farm-stands. EM is not just a huge farmer's market [[which is great), but a center point of metro Detroit fresh food distribution. There is a market in DC [[I am blanking on its name-- not DC's Eastern Market), which is surrounded by warehousing uses. Very vibrant and chock full of good stuff. And clearly a well-oiled economic driver. EM is already the best damn big-farmers market in the county and pre high-up in terms of food production/distribution. The plan could very well make it one of the most impressive food districts on the continent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2