Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Shangri La on Cass and Forest. We went on Friday. Excellent. Will be returning often.

East side- Ching Panda on Kelly and Morang isn't the best food, but certainly the best value. I don't think they take credit cards, so make certain to have cash on hand. I could feed my family of 3 for $6.94 out the door a year ago with a ginormous combo dinner.

A little ways up Kelly just south of 9 Mile is China Wok, which is a little pricier but better quality.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a really good place on 6 Mile near Woodward. I'll report back when I remember the name.

West side- Red Ruby- in a shopping center at Joy Rd/Telegraph.[[by Randazzo and Checker Drug) Atmosphere drab- very basic Chinese diner. But their great food and prices made it it a 'local favorite'. None of that buffet stuff, all made to order. I've never found another place with an entree like their Mandarin Chicken- breaded, deep fried chicken breast stuffed with ham.

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    East side- Ching Panda on Kelly and Morang isn't the best food, but certainly the best value. I don't think they take credit cards, so make certain to have cash on hand. I could feed my family of 3 for $6.94 out the door a year ago with a ginormous combo dinner.

A little ways up Kelly just south of 9 Mile is China Wok, which is a little pricier but better quality.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a really good place on 6 Mile near Woodward. I'll report back when I remember the name.
    Kow Kow Inn?

Anything to recommend in W. Bloomfield/Novi area?

Default China Villa in Centerline

That was my favorite after Great China closed on Hayes and Harper. And yes, Almond boneless is a "Detroit" dish. If you google it it comes up Detroit almond boneless chicken. The chinese food in the south sucks guys. Its all generic and you get nothing extra. When you order sweet and sour chicken, all you get is the fried meat [[supposedly chicken) and some red sauce on the side. No onions, green peppers or anything. You may get luck and one chunk of pineapple in the sauce. I miss the food in Detroit for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    I've never found another place with an entree like their Mandarin Chicken- breaded, deep fried chicken breast stuffed with ham.
    Ha! "Southern fried" Chinese! I'll bet you can get that one in Hong Kong!

Peking House in RO

Default Shangri-La

I'll second that one...the new location [[where Twingo's used to be) is great for dim sum. I'll be back, for sure.

I grew up loving Kow Loon.

LOL! I am curious - what do you mean? I am pretty aware that most so called Chinese is not authentic at all and I usually choose Windsor for the real stuff where you see Asians eating there too... had a feeling Almond Boneless was a bit weird. Please elaborate. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    What's the place on Grand River just north of Fenkell? I used to go there all the time when I lived nearby...

A side note: Almond Boneless Chicken is a Detroit thing! I found this out the hard way...

ROTFL... Oh these for sure are American-city hybrid items! Yum, yum!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Ha! "Southern fried" Chinese! I'll bet you can get that one in Hong Kong!

No Coney Islands in much of the south either... LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by exmotowner View Post
    That was my favorite after Great China closed on Hayes and Harper. And yes, Almond boneless is a "Detroit" dish. If you google it it comes up Detroit almond boneless chicken. The chinese food in the south sucks guys. Its all generic and you get nothing extra. When you order sweet and sour chicken, all you get is the fried meat [[supposedly chicken) and some red sauce on the side. No onions, green peppers or anything. You may get luck and one chunk of pineapple in the sauce. I miss the food in Detroit for sure!

Heading over to Shangri-la on Cass/Forest tomorrow. Other than Dim Sum, are there other good choices?

We would get Wing Hong when I was a kid. Usually after mom went to the Michigan National Bank that was also at 10 & Southfield.

9936Sussex - We had the dim sum and I had the shrimp noodles...oh, my. Just the right touch of garlic. There were six of us and we ordered a bit of everything. You won't be disappointed.

Shangri-La on Cass was knocked in some of the online reviews. Anything to those complaints from those who go regularly?

China Ruby in Detroit seems to be pretty good quality...

Novine - Go see Shangi La for yourself and form your own opinion. We liked it and will go back - often. I'm sure there's a different set of circumstances surrounding everyone's opinions...I like to give new busineses a try.

China Ruby in Ferndale. Great quality and quantity.

Went to Shangri-la [[on Cass) today for lunch. The presence of a lot of Asians was an encouraging sign. My friend had a selection of Dim Sum which she liked very much [[she was particularly fond of the barbecue pork buns). I am not so adventurous in my dining, so I ordered sweet & sour chicken [[yes, I know). It was good, but not as good as mine. Lots of chiciken, but light on vegetables. I would go back, maybe try some of those pork buns.

Quote Originally Posted by 9936Sussex View Post
    Went to Shangri-la [[on Cass) today for lunch. The presence of a lot of Asians was an encouraging sign. My friend had a selection of Dim Sum which she liked very much [[she was particularly fond of the barbecue pork buns). I am not so adventurous in my dining, so I ordered sweet & sour chicken [[yes, I know). It was good, but not as good as mine. Lots of chiciken, but light on vegetables. I would go back, maybe try some of those pork buns.
    Yeah, when I go to a Chinese eatery and see a lot of Asians it makes me feel good. Don't know why though. If I go to a Mexican place and see a lot of Hispanics I don't get that same fuzzy feeling.

are any of the above good buffets?

Chan's Restaurant on Gratiot and 7 Mile is great if you're into the old-fashioned type of Chinese Food.

After having spent a few months in China, over 5 trips, I have to second on

China Ruby
    157 W Nine Mile
    Ferndale, 48220

Pretty close to what I ate there, certainly not fancy, friendly, and great prices.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast