Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    BTW, folks, Remember what you learned in high school: something to the effect that not all blocks are created equal.

Looking at Google map and looking at K, L, M, N, etc. one finds that the blocks from M to N and N to O are actually twice as long as the block from K to L and L to M.

BTW, one end of the Metro subway station is at 1/2 and M [[not marked on the map). The other exit is marked).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Na...!4d-77.0074329

BTW, I will be in downtown today so I'll take a look. If it weren't raining I'd walk it and time it with a stop watch.
    Now, there is also a 10ish story building currently going up across the street from the south entrance of Nats Park. No parking garages act as a buffer there. Instead, it's just the entrance steps and a stairwell to the left of the steps. You can google 95 Potomac Ave SE and the MRP blue banners on that fence across from the park are where the building is. You can also see the stands above the red Nationals Park sign. Judge for yourself how that compares with ilitch's new arena and the Park Avenue Hotel.

Oh, and I just used mapmywalk and from the 1/2 Street Metro turnstile to the centerfield gate on M Street, it is 0.11 miles and took me 2 minutes 15 seconds. That was at a leisurely pace with a laptop bag.

Quote Originally Posted by dbc View Post
    Now, there is also a 10ish story building currently going up across the street from the south entrance of Nats Park. No parking garages act as a buffer there. Instead, it's just the entrance steps and a stairwell to the left of the steps. You can google 95 Potomac Ave SE and the MRP blue banners on that fence across from the park are where the building is. You can also see the stands above the red Nationals Park sign. Judge for yourself how that compares with ilitch's new arena and the Park Avenue Hotel.

Oh, and I just used mapmywalk and from the 1/2 Street Metro turnstile to the centerfield gate on M Street, it is 0.11 miles and took me 2 minutes 15 seconds. That was at a leisurely pace with a laptop bag.
    You are correct. I was by yesterday with car [[didn't walk it), but it is 1/8 of a mile [[sometimes when folks walk after being up 18 hours they think distances are much longer than they are).

I DID take photos from my car and there appears to be a say 100 yard buffer around the stadium, mostly those parking garages. S. Capitol is a buffer to the west and Potomac Ave. to the south.

The question of 'how close is too close' is not something I would know. [[I do know close counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, but don't know about how DHS feels about 'close'.).

I do know someone in the media who might know the answer to these questions. I e-mailed her.

P.S. w/out trying to start another flame war, could DHS have recommend BOTH buildings come down? I don't consider Park Ave. a buffer, at all... [[compare it to say S. Capitol or Potomac Ave on Google Maps).
    Last edited by emu steve; May-14-16 at 05:59 AM.