Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    That operator must have nerves of steel to pull down the side of a building toward him. Perhaps it was just an illusion in the video due to the angle but that's what it looked like. I wonder what his life and disability insurance policy costs him!
    As my friend quipped when Mr. Excavator had that building swaying: "Mr. CAT has balls of steel - they won't save him." After the dust had settled, the guy came out to talk with us, asking us if we got it on video. He called his effort "sloppy" and seemed frustrated that it didn't come down like a house of cards. I'd say bringing down that much building at once - not to mention his aim on those steel girders with the wrecking ball - was quite the feat. Even though I am sad to see the Lafayette go, it was just an incredible sight last night.

Yeah, I was VERY impressed with the operators ability to swing the wrecking ball directly into the girders and bend them. Mr CAT with balls of steel. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bibs View Post
    That operator must have nerves of steel to pull down the side of a building toward him. Perhaps it was just an illusion in the video due to the angle but that's what it looked like. I wonder what his life and disability insurance policy costs him!
    Probably nothing. I think that's the owner of Adamo and his life and disability policy is his equity in the company. Who else would be crazy enough to operate that crane in such a fashion? I doubt even Lloyd's would cover him seeing the way its being knocked down..

BoD, I love your footage, but seriously you need to at least invest in a rudimentary dust mask!

Is there no concern by Adamo about the dust? It seems like a serious spray of water would be in order when large chunks are pulled down. Just amazing. All the neighbors must enjoy sweeping up the dust in the morning, and Book Cadillac guests must be jumping out of bed after the collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guideboat View Post
    BoD, I love your footage, but seriously you need to at least invest in a rudimentary dust mask!
    The plan was to dive for cover in a car. I didn't make it.

I noticed the 3 story white building [[name please?) next to the Lafayette has a window that is now boarded up, did a chunk of the Lafayette break the glass? I also saw one in the parking structure on the former site of the Peoples Outfitters Building. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Coming soon... more parking. Lafayette Building this morning.

from this afternoon [[ 02.11.10 ) around 5:30 pm.

DetroitDad Guest

The Lafayette needed to go or be renovated as a public safety concern. It's going to be depressing to lose that nearly perfect street wall.

I'm going to randomly predict that most of our other CBD buildings are safe for at least two years, except for the Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix. PA and Char appear to be in horrible shape, and the Charlevoix is somewhat dangerous to visitors of the Park Avenue entertainment district [[Foxtown).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    The Lafayette needed to go or be renovated as a public safety concern. It's going to be depressing to lose that nearly perfect street wall.

I'm going to randomly predict that most of our other CBD buildings are safe for at least two years, except for the Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix. PA and Char appear to be in horrible shape, and the Charlevoix is somewhat dangerous to visitors of the Park Avenue entertainment district [[Foxtown).

I would love to see Sean Harrington get his hands on those buildings. He has done a wonderful job with his other buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post

The Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix aren't even in the CBD... but the CBD is safe since it's listing on the NRHP which could cover up to 60% of historic renovation costs... but the Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix are beautiful buildings that are actually not in all that bad of shape, and could see a rehab if there ends up being some sort of arena over there like many suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1986 View Post
    The Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix aren't even in the CBD... but the CBD is safe since it's listing on the NRHP which could cover up to 60% of historic renovation costs... but the Park Avenue Building and Charlevoix are beautiful buildings that are actually not in all that bad of shape, and could see a rehab if there ends up being some sort of arena over there like many suspect.
    Charlevoix is pretty destroyed. It have to be a total gut job a la the Book-Cadillac, no question. It doesn't even have its main staircase anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Charlevoix is pretty destroyed. It have to be a total gut job a la the Book-Cadillac, no question. It doesn't even have its main staircase anymore.
    But unlike the Lafayette, the structure appears to be intact. A staircase isn't a huge issue, but a problem nonetheless. It is certainly salvagable. However, with rumors of a new arena there, it probably wouldn't surprise anyone to see Mike Ilitch try to get his hands on it... in that case, nothing is certain, but if an arena does go up nearby, the owner would likely try to find a viable use for it as the there would certainly be interest in that area.

But unlike the Lafayette, the structure appears to be intact. A staircase isn't a huge issue, but a problem nonetheless. It is certainly salvagable.
    Very interesting! Where did you find the engineer's report regarding the evaluation of the Lafayette Building??? On what first-hand knowledge did you base your conclusion regarding the Charlevoix building?

Buncha unlicensed engineers running around Detroit. Makes me wonder why I even bothered to go to engineering school and obtain licensure.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Very interesting! Where did you find the engineer's report regarding the evaluation of the Lafayette Building??? On what first-hand knowledge did you base your conclusion regarding the Charlevoix building?

Buncha unlicensed engineers running around Detroit. Makes me wonder why I even bothered to go to engineering school and obtain licensure.
    I have been down this road with you before... repairs were required to the structure of the Lafayette Building to be able to use it, according to John Ferchill based on the evaluation of the building by his engineer who said "you can do it, but you will have to shore up the structure," making the cost of any renovation greater than the return. The repairs likely included addressing the issues of sagging floors. And if you actually have this engineers' report that you keep asking for, let me know... I have a couple engineers for clients, and one of the partners at my firm said every engineer thinks they are smarter than everyone else in the room, I now see why and you are no exception.

And I only made a speculative statement regarding the Charlevoix, jackass... I said it APPEARS that the structure is in better shape... we haven't exactly noticed any sagging floors the way we did with the Lafayette.

On a side note, Park Avenue is on the NRHP so a renovation of the Charlevoix would be significantly funded by this.
    Last edited by esp1986; February-12-10 at 03:27 PM.

So what you're saying, esp1986, is that you're drawing definitive conclusions based on, at best, third-hand hearsay. I'm not claiming that I'm necessarily smarter than anyone else, but when it comes to building structures, you're on my professional turf, son. There's no need for you to be so arrogant.

When it comes to public safety and welfare, speculation is a dangerous game to play. If I made the statements you're making, based on the little knowledge you have, I'd lose my licenses. Why don't you start a thread giving free legal advice? It'd be the same damned thing.

So what you're saying, esp1986, is that you're drawing definitive conclusions based on, at best, third-hand hearsay. I'm not claiming that I'm necessarily smarter than anyone else, but when it comes to building structures, you're on my professional turf, son. There's no need for you to be so arrogant.

When it comes to public safety and welfare, speculation is a dangerous game to play. If I made the statements you're making, based on the little knowledge you have, I'd lose my licenses. Why don't you start a thread giving free legal advice? It'd be the same damned thing.
    It doesn't take an engineer to realize structural problems from sagging floors... buildingsofdetroit has posted pictures of that... and given all that has happened, while I am not precluding fact, it is pretty likely that the building had suffered structurally over the years, the extent to which this happened is the mystery. And I am not being arrogant, I have heard from two other sources about this building too, but Ferchill is the only one I can quote. Obviously, I can't draw conclusions about buildings, but based solely on observation, the Charlevoix appears to be more workable than the Lafayette, all factors considered, including money.

And don't you worry about me giving free legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I work for a law firm.

So you could wave it in our faces in every thread like English does with her PhD from AA?

Where are these pictures of sagging floors?

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    That doesn't matter. It doesn't take an engineer to realize an old building is dangerous and completely unsalvageable.

And don't you worry about me giving free legal advice, I'm not a lawyer, nor do I work for a law firm.
    You're not a licensed Professional Engineer, either, but that never stopped you from giving free engineering advice, or as state regulations call it, "practicing without a license".

You're not a licensed Professional Engineer, either, but that never stopped you from giving free engineering advice, or as state regulations call it, "practicing without a license".
    I did no such thing. I was merely passing on the information I heard and saw. And thanks to you, next time I hear anything I will make sure I keep to myself. Here we simply discuss ideas based on facts... and that is all I am doing. I heard a statement of fact, and chose to discuss it, but apparently since I am not an engineer, I am not qualified to do what everyone else on this site does. Just because you are an engineer doesn't make you above all else like you want to be. We are simply trying to have a spirited exchange of ideas here and you continually cut people down saying their comments lack merit. I am sorry I am not an engineer, but it doesn't always take an engineer to state the obvious. And, yes, I know the Lafayette was salvageable, in the end it wasn't about the structure, it was about the money, something I know quite a bit more about.

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    buildingsofdetroit posted a link somewhere in this thread I believe, browse through the pages, you will find it.

I'm assuming that they are going to pull down the opposite wall just like they did with the northern tower, but how are they going to take down the rest of the building that is resting against the buildings next to it???

Well so long Detroit skyline. Downtown Detroit will look like Big Beaver Rd. in no time.

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast