Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Wish they would ditch the "HOCKEYTOWN" text on the logo at center ice. Makes no sense that they'd cover up the winged wheel with that goofy text.
    yes, i agree. and with the sponsor's name around it too.....looks "congested"

I was just starting to appreciate the design of the arena and what the facade was attempting to do, i.e. blending in with the existing urban fabric and not being a monolith, then I started to see all of the signage and video boards they are putting up and it looks so unbelievably tacky. Signage and boards can look fine when you design an arena to look like an event space, when you design it to blend in with its' surroundings it looks garish and cheap. I wish they would have taken a more subtle and nuanced approach to how this building plays at the street level.

Anyone know if the height from the front of the upper deck at LCA is greater than at the Palace?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Anyone know if the height from the front of the upper deck at LCA is greater than at the Palace?
    I would imagine, since they are trying to fit more seats in the lower bowl. I'm more excited about the distance from the court. The Palace had such a gradual grade, that the upper deck seats were way far away. Everything I've seen indicates that this won't be the case in the LCA.

Default Detroit Dust

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Looks good!
    There must be almost a century's worth of dust and grime to clean and its gotta be pretty thick.
    Let me tell ya, Detroit seems to have this lingering dust that just won't go away. I painted a front door sill of my condo directly across the road from the Arena. Two days later, filth. Unbelievable

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    There must be almost a century's worth of dust and grime to clean and its gotta be pretty thick.
    Let me tell ya, Detroit seems to have this lingering dust that just won't go away. I painted a front door sill of my condo directly across the road from the Arena. Two days later, filth. Unbelievable
    Well you are across the street from one of the biggest construction projects in a long time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I was just starting to appreciate the design of the arena and what the facade was attempting to do, i.e. blending in with the existing urban fabric and not being a monolith, then I started to see all of the signage and video boards they are putting up and it looks so unbelievably tacky. ...
    Were you expecting subtlety from the people with the guy in the toga, with a spear, with a pizza on top?

I was just starting to appreciate the design of the arena and what the facade was attempting to do, i.e. blending in with the existing urban fabric and not being a monolith, then I started to see all of the signage and video boards they are putting up and it looks so unbelievably tacky. Signage and boards can look fine when you design an arena to look like an event space, when you design it to blend in with its' surroundings it looks garish and cheap. I wish they would have taken a more subtle and nuanced approach to how this building plays at the street level.
    I see it a bit differently.

Did they do anything to ruin the vista from Woodward?

The "Little Caesars Arena" signage seems unremarkable and not gaudy or too prominent.

Woodward Ave. seems excellent to me.

The biggest issue[[s), to me, would always be in the areas by the big parking garage and how it is handled and made to look 'nice.' And, also, how the plaza was designed.

From the videos I've seen [[recent) the residential parts attached to both parking garages is no where near complete. Don't see any recent progress.

So we are looking at a 'work in progress.'

That said, I'm not a big fan of the walkway nor a big fan of the video board.

I hope the rest of the construction more or less encapsulates the plaza area so it isn't visible looking north from say the pedestrian walkway on the Fisher service way [[south side of Fisher).

But as others have commented the arena, plaza, garages, residences, etc. etc. are a LONG way from being finished. And, until a hotel is built at Woodward/Fisher we don't know how looking north from Hockeytown [[or driving north on Woodward) will appear. The hotel could help encapsulate the plaza area more.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-18-17 at 09:30 AM.

Addendum comment:

Looking at more and more photos taken the last couple months, that plaza, video board, walkway, etc. will really be encapsulated. The Eddystone blocks it from the north. The Henry Street parking garage blocks most of it from the south. The other parking garage blocks it from the west.

If the hotel goes from Woodward to Park, it might leave a small view from the south looking north between the hotel and the Henry Street parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I see it a bit differently.
    Of course YOU do. You are an Ilitch slappy who is viewing this project from renderings and thumbnail photos from D.C. I don't expect you to view this objectively.

Of course YOU do. You are an Ilitch slappy who is viewing this project from renderings and thumbnail photos from D.C. I don't expect you to view this objectively.
    I love your comments. [think an Anderson Cooper eye roll]

I tried to come up with measured comments, some positive and some negative, hopefully not to please you, though.

For your information, yes, I do see the videos, photos, etc. I did see the site late June when I was in town and came downtown for two Tigers' games.

"I came. I saw. I liked." Sorry...

In less than a month, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ritz Carlton/Marriott have bought parking lot where "wildcat corner" was to go. Hotel tower to be built.

Quote Originally Posted by restoretheroar View Post
    Ritz Carlton/Marriott have bought parking lot where "wildcat corner" was to go. Hotel tower to be built.
    Would that be the lot[[s) fronting Woodward across from the Fox Theater? Any other details on announcement?

Would that be the lot[[s) fronting Woodward across from the Fox Theater? Any other details on announcement?
    I assume it is the parking lot where the GVSU building is.

That, originally, was thought to be a residential with roof top seating.

Does anyone see any problems with a tower there? It seems far enough in right field not to ruin the center field vista.

I assume the two lots in front on Woodward in front of the Fox will not be towers.

Where did you hear that news? would you happen to have a link to share?
    Thanks

Does anyone see any problems with a tower there? It seems far enough in right field not to ruin the center field vista.

I assume the two lots in front on Woodward in front of the Fox will not be towers.
    Good call, I hadn't even considered that spot. I assumed they would want to be near the QLine and new arena.

As far as the view you'll still see plenty of skyline. I'd much rather have a structure there.

I'll bet that site would be a 'home run' for a hotel.

I can't think of a better location for anyone visiting anywhere in the sports and entertainment district.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    Where did you hear that news? would you happen to have a link to share?
    Thanks
    I hope that it's true, too. But I can't find the info on any of the traditional news sites.

Attachment 34012
    The Ritz? Now there's some class. Expect a few more of these ripping through DT

I like the idea of a Ritz in Downtown. I also
    like the idea of it being in close proximity to Grand Circus Park. Hope it happens for those reasons. [[Though I would make a personal donation to the cause if they would build it on the Statler site instead of what is being proposed).

However I am a bit concerned about the point Steve brought up, and the impact to the view at Comerica Park. For those not familiar, search "Hilton" + "Camden Yards" to see what a hotel tower can do to damage a great skyline view from the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    I like the idea of a Ritz in Downtown. I also
    like the idea of it being in close proximity to Grand Circus Park. Hope it happens for those reasons. [[Though I would make a personal donation to the cause if they would build it on the Statler site instead of what is being proposed).

However I am a bit concerned about the point Steve brought up, and the impact to the view at Comerica Park. For those not familiar, search "Hilton" + "Camden Yards" to see what a hotel tower can do to damage a great skyline view from the ballpark.
    Agree. I remember when Hilton put up their hotel much to the dismay of Orioles fans...

This photograph [[from the angle) doesn't do justice to how obtuse the hotel is. Much more obvious from the 1st base side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriole...dsJune2013.jpg

This one shows more clearly:

http://www.wbal.com/article/229865/3...et-marie-smith
    Last edited by emu steve; August-21-17 at 08:26 PM.

If you can, are you able to confirm the exact scope of the project [[building height / room number, exact location, proposed completion date, etc.) and how reliable your source is?

I called it first if this is true. Hopefully, it's going to be on one of the surface lots facing Woodward.

For a city its size, Detroit is severely underserved when it comes to 4 star hotels. I'm sure the Ritz would love to return after leaving during autopocalypse [[especially with all of the pent up demand from the theatres and stadiums).

Omni, it's your turn next.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    If you can, are you able to confirm the exact scope of the project [[building height / room number, exact location, proposed completion date, etc.) and how reliable your source is?

I called it first if this is true. Hopefully, it's going to be on one of the surface lots facing Woodward.

For a city its size, Detroit is severely underserved when it comes to 4 star hotels. I'm sure the Ritz would love to return after leaving during autopocalypse [[especially with all of the pent up demand from the theatres and stadiums).

Omni, it's your turn next.

Three other interesting points to make, for those not as familiar with the hotel business.

1- Typically Marriott/Ritz doesn't purchase property, as almost all of their hotels are franchises. Basically in almost all new cases, a private developer builds a hotel, and private management company runs the hotel, and they pay Marriott/Ritz for use of the franchise.

2- I can't remember when [[if ever) Illitch/Olympia sold downtown land to anyone.

3- Lets say this is going the franchise route described above, for discussion. The first thing to note is that Marriott/Ritz is the name of the parent company that franchises out like 30 different brands of hotels. Thus there is no guarantee it would even be a Marriott or Ritz hotel, as it could be one of their other 28 brands.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast