Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Lets be honest here. You can be safe in most.. not all areas in Detroit. In depends on your attitude and street smarts. Some people walk down the street looking like a mugging waiting to happen. Other people can send a message to strangers they pass on the street by giving them a look that says 'don't even think about messing with me' People are always sizing you up no matter where you walk and if you look like easy pickings they will try you. Thats just about any city.

Exactly. Ninety percent of succeeding in any situation is acting like you belong there.

Of course, anything can happen to any one at any time in any given neighborhood. So I keep my guard up all the time -- whether I'm in Brightmoor or Brighton.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Lets be honest here. You can be safe in most.. not all areas in Detroit. In depends on your attitude and street smarts. Some people walk down the street looking like a mugging waiting to happen. Other people can send a message to strangers they pass on the street by giving them a look that says 'don't even think about messing with me' People are always sizing you up no matter where you walk and if you look like easy pickings they will try you. Thats just about any city. Toronto was the only city I felt I could let my guard down.
    as a whitegirl growing up in detroit i can tell you that this is absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyrocker View Post
    I would say just about every area is safe, but then again I have a CCW and a .40 cal. If you are feeling adventurous try McNichols and cameron ask for "shorty" he will show you around.
    You can have a .40 on your hip and a .38 in your pocket, if somebody gets the jump on you it's over.

The neighborhoods around Balduck Park on the far east side are pretty safe, even to walk at night. There are no alleys in those neighborhoods, aside from the alleys behind the business strips.

I can't speak for other neighborhoods...

It seems like the criminals are the same as in any other major city--they're out there waiting for the right opportunity, but there are fewer people walking around Detroit making it seem like a far more desolate and dangerous place. Abandoned neighborhoods seem far more dangerous than busy neighborhoods with people walking all around you.

Worst thing that happened to me yet happened in East Dearborn.,and I was in my car.So stuff just happens all round.

detmich Guest

Ocean, I am not sure you would be safe walking anywhere in Detroit at night. Compared to major cities, Detroit is not a safe city. There is no comparison between New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and Detroit. To claim they are on the same civic level is a lie. The only major US city that comes close in terms of danger is Miami.

Detroit is no longer a major city itself. It should be compared more accurately to St. Louis, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Buffalo, Minneapolis/StPaul, Nashville, Charlotte, New Orleans, etc. In that comparison, Detroit is not the worst, but it is right there at the bottom and always in the running. Do yourself a favor Ocean, do not wander around Detroit without a local.

Chicago is safe? Really? Detmich, go to Chi-town, wander around, say, E 71st and S Jeffery for a couple hours. Have your loved ones post a message here and let me know how it went.

All cities have rough neighborhoods, and always have. Big cities and cities with a lot of disinvestment have more of them. There are parts of Detroit where I feel comfortable walking around any time of day or night, like the West Vernor part of Mexicantown, and there are parts of Detroit I never feel comfortable on foot, like East Vernor around Cadillac. The same holds for New York, Chicago, Denver, any major city I've spent time in.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Chicago is safe? Really? Detmich, go to Chi-town, wander around, say, E 71st and S Jeffery for a couple hours. Have your loved ones post a message here and let me know how it went.

All cities have rough neighborhoods, and always have. Big cities and cities with a lot of disinvestment have more of them. There are parts of Detroit where I feel comfortable walking around any time of day or night, like the West Vernor part of Mexicantown, and there are parts of Detroit I never feel comfortable on foot, like East Vernor around Cadillac. The same holds for New York, Chicago, Denver, any major city I've spent time in.

Without belaboring a point, the fact that you need to point out where it might be safe to walk illustrates the underlying issue that Detroit is not safe. Millions of tourists and business people visit Chicago every year and wander around on foot from Millenium Park and the museums up north to the Gold Coast without a care. Even more visit New York and never worry for a second as they stumble around Manhattan. That is not the situation in Detroit. You know that, and your denials don't alter the plain and simple fact that Detroit has an outrageous and oversized crime problem.

Perhaps it is a symptom of a dying city. That is why I think comparing it to other cities of its own size is relevant. The thriving ones, Milwaukee, Mpls/Stpaul, have much lower crime rates. The dying ones, St Louis, New Orleans, Baltimore have very similar crime situations. The funny thing is, no one in NO or Baltimore or STL denies the horrible crime rate. Detroiters just can't seem to get to the point that they will admit the reality of the situation. That apppears to be the MO in every aspect of the region, from dealing with the car industry to discussing Cobo Hall, or analyzing race relations.

Anyway, saying that Detroit is safe on this website will not help the situation in the least. But let yourself have a go at it, since everyone else in town seems to be doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    Without belaboring a point, the fact that you need to point out where it might be safe to walk illustrates the underlying issue that Detroit is not safe. Millions of tourists and business people visit Chicago every year and wander around on foot from Millenium Park and the museums up north to the Gold Coast without a care. Even more visit New York and never worry for a second as they stumble around Manhattan. That is not the situation in Detroit. You know that, and your denials don't alter the plain and simple fact that Detroit has an outrageous and oversized crime problem.
    So when people go to visit New York or Chicago you never hear them asking which places are safe or not to visit? Really? I don't think so. I don't know where you are getting your opinion from but its kind of off. Because someone not familiar with an area asks which places are generally safe to walk does not automatically mean that the entire area is unsafe. My parents used to ask which parts of Manhattan were cool to walk in and during what time, does that mean that all of Manhattan is a crime infested hell hole filled with people in denial about how much of an hell hole it is?

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by President Sekou View Post
    So when people go to visit New York or Chicago you never hear them asking which places are safe or not to visit? Really? I don't think so. I don't know where you are getting your opinion from but its kind of off. Because someone not familiar with an area asks which places are generally safe to walk does not automatically mean that the entire area is unsafe. My parents used to ask which parts of Manhattan were cool to walk in and during what time, does that mean that all of Manhattan is a crime infested hell hole filled with people in denial about how much of an hell hole it is?
    No mayor. When someone asks where is it safe to walk in Manhattan the answer is "anywhere". When someone asks is it safe to walk in downtown Chicago to visit the museums or shop or see the architecture or walk from their hotel to Wrigley Field the answer is simply "yes". That is not the answer in Detroit. You know that, and you are simply being facetious because of a misplaced defensive response.

No tourist visiting Detroit should be walking around at night without a local, period. No respectable hotel that I have been to in Detroit recommends that its out of town guests walk around after dark. That is the truth, not just some made up willy nilly grab for straws. The staff at those hotels are absolutely correct in doing so. If you were to stay at a hotel in Queens outside of Kennedy airport the staff does the same thing because that area of Queens is not safe. The problem in Detroit is that the entire city is unsafe relative to major cities in the US. You can pretend that visiting Detroit is just as safe as visiting Boston, but that only exposes the weakness of your position, because any reasonable and sane person who has visitied both cities would know that you are lying.

Quote Originally Posted by detmich View Post
    No mayor. When someone asks where is it safe to walk in Manhattan the answer is "anywhere". When someone asks is it safe to walk in downtown Chicago to visit the museums or shop or see the architecture or walk from their hotel to Wrigley Field the answer is simply "yes". That is not the answer in Detroit. You know that, and you are simply being facetious because of a misplaced defensive response.

No tourist visiting Detroit should be walking around at night without a local, period. No respectable hotel that I have been to in Detroit recommends that its out of town guests walk around after dark. That is the truth, not just some made up willy nilly grab for straws. The staff at those hotels are absolutely correct in doing so. If you were to stay at a hotel in Queens outside of Kennedy airport the staff does the same thing because that area of Queens is not safe. The problem in Detroit is that the entire city is unsafe relative to major cities in the US. You can pretend that visiting Detroit is just as safe as visiting Boston, but that only exposes the weakness of your position, because any reasonable and sane person who has visitied both cities would know that you are lying.
    If I were to accept your position I would state that all of Chicago is extremely dangerous because of Englewood or all of New York is dangerous because of Jamaica Queens. Your generalizing unnecessarily. Some parts of Detroit are dangerous, while others aren't. That's not the position of an apologist thats a realistic assesment of life here just as it is in every major city in the world.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by President Sekou View Post
    If I were to accept your position I would state that all of Chicago is extremely dangerous because of Englewood or all of New York is dangerous because of Jamaica Queens. Your generalizing unnecessarily. Some parts of Detroit are dangerous, while others aren't. That's not the position of an apologist thats a realistic assesment of life here just as it is in every major city in the world.
    You probably would make those statements, and they would in fact be the position of an apologist. You would also be trapped in a logical fallacy, but that is a lesson for another time.There is no argument where there is not fact or reason. So I never think that I will change your position. You will cling to your belief as stubbornly as a born again clings to Genesis. Reality does not matter and the truth will not cause the scales to fall from your eyes.

I do think that someone like Ocean might be fooled into thinking that he or she could come to Detroit and wander around to take in the delicious local flavor. To allow that to happen would be irresponsible to say the least.

Some parts of Detroit are dangerous, while others aren't. That's not the position of an apologist thats a realistic assesment of life here just as it is in every major city in the world.
    Sounds accurate to me.

When someone asks is it safe to walk in downtown Chicago to visit the museums or shop or see the architecture or walk from their hotel to Wrigley Field the answer is simply "yes". That is not the answer in Detroit.
    You are wrong. The cultural center and areas around the arenas in Detroit are safe.

detmich Guest

Check in as a guest at the Ren Cen Marriott. That evening, after dark, tell the concierge that you are from out of town and want to walk over to the Book Cadillac. See what the response is.

Now, check in at the Drake in CHicago, and say that you want to walk down to the Nikko for Sushi. Tell me what the answer is. Do the same thin walking from the Pierre to La Bernadin in New York. You know full well what the answer will be.

Check in as a guest at the Ren Cen Marriott. That evening, after dark, tell the concierge that you are from out of town and want to walk over to the Book Cadillac. See what the response is.
    Take the People Mover?

Default Safety in the D

I grew up in Detroit but lived in Chicago for 20 years. Detmich makes some comments that are correct...downtown Chicago and many neighborhoods in the city are far safer than Detroit. I say that as a native Detroiter and a supporter of the city. However, in any city you need to take precautions...know where you are...act appropriately. I have been in many areas of Chicago that are equally as threatening as some in Detroit. There are just many more areas that you can safely walk there...

1) Far-east, near Harper Woods/St. John Hospital. I believe a lot of cops still live over there. If nothing else, they'll keep their own block safe, one would think.

2) Telegraph/Grand River.

3) Downtown-From the Rencen and Cobo to at least Comerica park, probably even a bit further, and Greektown. I would even say Chene Park isnt too bad.

4) The apartments on the River-Harbortown, Riverfront towers, etc.

5)Berry subdivision, now that Kwame isnt throwing any more [[alleged) parties

"When someone asks where is it safe to walk in Manhattan the answer is "anywhere". When someone asks is it safe to walk in downtown Chicago to visit the museums or shop or see the architecture or walk from their hotel to Wrigley Field the answer is simply "yes". That is not the answer in Detroit."

That might be the answer you'll get in Manhattan or Chicago but it wouldn't be true. I've been to parts of both downtowns where I didn't feel safe walking around at night. As others have stated, crime can occur anywhere and in big cities, the idea that you can wander wherever you want at night oblivious to the potential for crime is ludicrous.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "When someone asks where is it safe to walk in Manhattan the answer is "anywhere". When someone asks is it safe to walk in downtown Chicago to visit the museums or shop or see the architecture or walk from their hotel to Wrigley Field the answer is simply "yes". That is not the answer in Detroit."

That might be the answer you'll get in Manhattan or Chicago but it wouldn't be true. I've been to parts of both downtowns where I didn't feel safe walking around at night. As others have stated, crime can occur anywhere and in big cities, the idea that you can wander wherever you want at night oblivious to the potential for crime is ludicrous.

Here, let me help you guys with this:

"I'm rubber you're glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you"

"I know you are but what am I?"

"No, you are."

Keep repeating the mantra, that is the only way a mantra has power correct?

http://www.freep.com/article/2009040...oit+police+say

Pretty good report after the Final Four for such a dangerous place.

"Keep repeating the mantra, that is the only way a mantra has power correct?"

I'm sorry, I didn't know that what you said trumped what any of us has experienced. I apologize and bow before your genius.

How about some statistics backing up your claim that going anywhere in Detroit is less safe than going anywhere in Manhattan or Chicago. That shouldn't be too difficult for you to show.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "
    I'm sorry, I didn't know that what you said trumped what any of us has experienced. I apologize and bow before your genius.

You are forgiven.

Clearly this dude has never been outside the tourist areas of any major city in America, so why are you all bothering responding to his stupidity?

detmich Guest

Hey no name calling IHD.

The difference is, in major metropolises you can wander around on foot for several hours and never be in an area that is "dangerous", for lack of a better word. In Detroit, or St Louis, or New Orleans, you can wander around for several blocks, at best, before you are "in a heap o' trouble, boy". The difference is that StL and NO admit the problem, while Detroiters haven't gotten past the first step in their twelve step program.

Again, I am not saying people shouldn't visit Detroit. Just that encouraging them to wander around on foot is a dis-service. I suppose that the truth often hurts.
    Last edited by detmich; April-08-09 at 08:48 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast