Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Which areas safe to walk all hours -incl evening?

i see a negative thread "Worst neighborhoods" and maybe 6 months ago I had two on the old board "Best" and "Worst".

More specifically which areas would you feel totally comfortable walking at night or day if by mistake you left your AK-47 at home?

I tend to wander areas in different places and police sometimes tell me "you shouldn't be here" so its best not to be left to my own devices.

My guess -Downtown is cool. I wanted to also add Jefferson/Burns area but the building I like there [[Burgess Book) has been vandalized many times and even in the last 30 days on the crime reports -there's stuff happening less than 100 yards away.

So... where?

Mexicantown [[closer to Michigan ave) and Corktown. I have lived and worked and taken the bus and walked in all sorts of places within the city because I don't have a car, and even compared to downtown and WSU area [[which really never felt safe at all) these areas always felt exceptionally safe. I used to work in Corktown and on a few occassions walked after 10pm when I got off all the way home to my place in Mexicantown and never felt threatened. I can not say that for any other area. Many people would probably disagree, though...

detroitjim Guest

Almost anywhere , north of Eight Mile or west of Telegraph!

It really depends. I honestly don't think you can say anywhere is "safe" at all hours, all the time, because crime is random. The safest neighborhoods in this city have had their share of crime. Criminals are mobile, they don't hang out in one spot. And although there may be concentrations of crime, no area is totally free of it.

Welcome to Detroit... But I think this goes for any major city--Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    It really depends. I honestly don't think you can say anywhere is "safe" at all hours, all the time, because crime is random. The safest neighborhoods in this city have had their share of crime. Criminals are mobile, they don't hang out in one spot. And although there may be concentrations of crime, no area is totally free of it.

Welcome to Detroit... But I think this goes for any major city--Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, etc.
    I have to agree. The important thing is to use common sense. Stay out of dark alleys, don't initiate trouble for yourself, and be aware of your surroundings.

No areas are really safe if you're looking to carpet bag or slumlord.

People won't welcome you with open arms.

east detroit - You have the same integrity as kwame without the education.

On the last thread you trolled that i lectured people about eating fish caught in the river - then you hid when I asked you for some evidence or a link.

Cowards like you can hide and lie behind anonymous screen names- very classy!

Did I say anything about going into rental properties? I just want an old building that has architectural value that I can use for a summer home as the summers are hot here. I could lease out a floor but that's more for someone to watch rather than to be a landlord.

As others have explained to you - Detroit needs all the investors it can find - one building at a time. Get a job and buy your own house - instead of being jealous of others - even you can afford one at these prices.
    Last edited by Ocean2026; April-04-09 at 05:35 PM.

Midtown is probably the safest. I've never had any trouble there at all. I've walked at all times of the day/night and never had a problem. But to be safe, lets say north of MLK.

New Center if fairly safe at all times. I've never been scared to walk there at night.

Downtown is safe at all times. The most well known by suburbanites. The riverwalk is also safe the entire span.

Corktown is okay to walk at night, but only in popluated areas. I'm too scared to walk in areas with just industrial buildings, empty lots or surface parking.

Mexicantown/West Vernor is okay all times. As with Springwells to the west.

...and then there is Woodbridge. I live here. I'm never scared to go out at night, but I've heard countless stories of muggings. I know dozens of people who have been held up in woodbridge, many of them several times. This isn't true of other neighborhoods I listed outside isolated incidents. But I have yet to encounter / be a victim of a mugging.

If these neighborhoods, along with a few others, were integrated better, and were more built up, Detroit could have a huge urban core of stable up and coming neighborhoods.

Sigh. You can actually walk plenty of other neighborhoods besides the ones that are always mentioned here during the daytime. [[Yes, even if you're white.)

It's a block-by-block, sometimes house-by-house thing. Just get to know people who live there and they can give you the scoop. [[That's a general rule of thumb ANYWHERE on the globe, actually.)

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Sigh. You can actually walk plenty of other neighborhoods besides the ones that are always mentioned here during the daytime. [[Yes, even if you're white.)

It's a block-by-block, sometimes house-by-house thing. Just get to know people who live there and they can give you the scoop. [[That's a general rule of thumb ANYWHERE on the globe, actually.)
    English is spot on.

I don't know if I would say downtown is safe, or the Riverwalk. I haven't fogotten the bloody t-shirt I saw one morning on a park bench in Hart Plaza. Never found out what happened, but that much blood did not come from a papercut.

I guess I would say that any area can be dangerous if the right combination of people come together there. Just because nothing has happened to YOU, doesn't mean an area is safe. You simply have to use common sense, and be hyper-aware of your surroundings and people in them.

Even here in rural Minnesota, I don't like to walk any of the towns alone at night, and even a late night trip to Wal-Mart has me watching everyone closely. I don't care where you go, you are not 100% safe. Just some places you are less safe than others.

Corktown, Hubbard farms, Hubbard Richard, CBD, Lafayette park, Indian village, University district, Rosedale, Grandmont, Palmer woods, West village, sherwood forest, East English village, New center commons, woodbridge, Palmer Park...
    Areas that are OK... Boston Edison, Lasalle gardens, Brush Park, Morningside, Bagley. to name a few...
    I personally even feel comfortable in brightmoor so I guess I am the exception.... Honestly I walk my lab mix all over and never have a problem....

The issue of Detroit being a safe city is off the table --It’s not safe – if you want actual statistics read the blurb and follow the link below. That doesn’t mean we write off the whole city, but that we have to address the underlying issues that made it that way [[but that’s another thread). The “safe” areas of Detroit are different from other cities in that they are small islands of perceived safety in a large sea of unsavory areas. There is no continuous safe zone that stretches for any distance in Detroit, and let’s face it; Detroit isn’t that large of a city anymore. There is a lot of good left but there is a lot of bad that needs to be extinguished in order to reform the city and make it feel safe for everyone, not just the “street smart”.

America's Most Dangerous Cities
    By Zack O'Malley Greenburg
    Friday, April 24, 2009provided by Forbes.com

Top 5 Most Dangerous Cities:
    No. 1 Detroit, Mich.
    [[Detroit-Livonia-Dearborn, Mich., metropolitan statistical area)
    Population: 1,951,186
    Violent Crimes per 100,000: 1,220

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/106978/America%27s-Most-Dangerous-Cities

This thread is a Rorschach Test. I have a friend whose professor stepfather won't lock their door because he refuses to "give in to the paranoia" but because we're from Detroit & have a few cops in the family tree we practice the "Sacramento Vampire Rule" whereas Richard Trenton Chase, a serial killer you may Google by either name & was the source of a pretty scary movie by the guy who did the Exorcist called "Rampage", operated under the proviso if you left your door unlocked he took as tacit approval from his victims he could come in & butcher you, drink your blood, feast on your body parts, take a knife to any sex or waste organs & stuff animal poop in your mouth. I would rather live my life without confusing any Sacramento Vampires, personally...I've been enough muggings, shoot outs & race riots