Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

The "guide city signage" subject as it relates to Detroit vs Chicago has annoyed my for DECADES.

I have no problem with Michigan's westbound I-94 signage indicating Chicago. What pisses me off is the fact that all of Chicago's eastbound I-94 signage is 100% devoid of Detroit references. Feels like we're being slighted by a close [[geographic & cultural) neighbor. Especially when you consider that Chicago's southbound I-57 signage actually lists "Memphis" [[a 533-mile drive).

A social media war would be a cool thing to launch. MDOT insists that ILDOT in Chicago lists Detroit on its EB I-94/ SB I-294 signs or.. Michigan removes ALL Chicago references on WB I-94 replacing it with Ann Arbor.. then Kalamazoo.. then New Buffalo.. then Gary. OR... MDOT could just list "Milwaukee" for the entire route : )

Detroit and Chicago are close neighbors. They are the Midwest's two giants. But a little reciprocated love and respect would sure be nice.

Name:  CHI vs DET.jpg
Views: 2698
Size:  217.6 KB
    Last edited by LeightonGeo; October-27-17 at 12:21 AM.

What annoys me the most about Michigan's highway signs that that all of them outside of Detroit proper [[even in the suburbs) always direct you to "Detroit" as if it's some monolithic place that's in some far away land.

Even coming from the airport, you will see a sign directing you to "Detroit," although you've technically already flown into and left the "Detroit" airport [[where the hell else would you be if not already in "Detroit?").

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    What annoys me the most about Michigan's highway signs that that all of them outside of Detroit proper [[even in the suburbs) always direct you to "Detroit" as if it's some monolithic place that's in some far away land.

Even coming from the airport, you will see a sign directing you to "Detroit," although you've technically already flown into and left the "Detroit" airport [[where the hell else would you be if not already in "Detroit?").
    You're in Romulus, and you're trying to get to Detroit proper.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    Mileage signs on a newly renovated stretch of Ohio's I-75 [[Bowling Green, Findlay area). I thought this was pretty cool.

Attachment 34464
    I like this signage idea. Someone driving from say Toledo may say, okay I've going through Cincy [[200 miles) and then almost another 500 miles to Atlanta.

I would find that a very useful way to reference cities and plan my trip [[e.g., stop and eat near Cincy. Maybe drive thru to Atlanta).

I would be like a sign indicating Kalamazoo is half way between Detroit and Chicago.

Say on west bound I-94: Kalamazoo 140 miles; Chicago 280.

Signage like: Kalamazoo 20 miles; Chicago 160 is useful. Someone calls the cell and asks "Where are you?" And you reply, "I'm just outside of Kalamazoo and 160 miles from Chicago."
    Last edited by emu steve; October-27-17 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I like this signage idea. Someone driving from say Toledo may say, okay I've going through Cincy [[200 miles) and then almost another 500 miles to Atlanta.
    I like this idea when you're leaving a metropolitan area.

When you're inside a major metro area, I'd like to see something more granular, maybe something like [[on WB 94

Dearborn: 3
    Ann Arbor: 45
    Chicago: 340

So you know the next city/town over, the next relatively major local city, then the next major metropolitan area.

The benefits of this, IMHO, is it helps people navigating locally, people traveling long distances, and those traveling just outside the metropolitan area. It also gives a good idea on where the freeway runs, when they change direction as I-94 does going from south to west and vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I like this idea when you're leaving a metropolitan area.

When you're inside a major metro area, I'd like to see something more granular, maybe something like [[on WB 94

Dearborn: 3
    Ann Arbor: 45
    Chicago: 340

So you know the next city/town over, the next relatively major local city, then the next major metropolitan area.

The benefits of this, IMHO, is it helps people navigating locally, people traveling long distances, and those traveling just outside the metropolitan area. It also gives a good idea on where the freeway runs, when they change direction as I-94 does going from south to west and vice-versa.
    Agree 100%.

I recently drove up to NYC and always liked seeing those signs indicating the mileage and letting me know that I'm still on the right road, etc.

And in the example above, once past Ann Arbor could be Jackson, Kalamazoo and then Chicago.

For the tourist, they can make mental notes, past Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo and toward Chicago.

P.S. I rather follow my own directions rather than a GPS. A GPS encourages mental laziness. Lol.
    Last edited by emu steve; October-27-17 at 08:10 AM.

They've been replacing signs along 696 for the past month or so and they just put a mileage sign up for when you get onto the EB Reuther from 275/96.

SOUTHFIELD 6
    PORT HURON 74

I like it. Not that I need it but it's useful. Never noticed it before if it's always been there lol

Mileage signs on a newly renovated stretch of Ohio's I-75 [[Bowling Green, Findlay area). I thought this was pretty cool.

Attachment 34464
    If I were driving to Tampa, I would get depressed and turn around after seeing this.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    On a side note my most favorite interstate sign in Chicago was "Do not attempt to exit at Morgan St." Well ok then I won't. It's since been removed for construction.
    There's a sign on the SB M-10 to WB I-94 ramp that tell you not to exit at Woodward. This is because you'd have to rapidly cut across many lanes from the left-side merge to the right-side exit.

Based on some other posts, I've decided to come up with these quick-and-dirty modifications...

The signs for I-74 west out of Indianapolis used to read Peoria III, which was confusing as can be flying in from Metro. Now they say Champaign, as they should.

Not directly related but reminds me of a new to me sign on southbound 75 just past Toledo that lists Tampa 1100Mi. I had to look twice. Never seen a distance sign that far out!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're in Romulus, and you're trying to get to Detroit proper.
    It's not something you see in any other city.

You may see a sign that gives you directions to "downtown," or which direction you'll headed on the freeway such as "East Interstate 94 keep right" but not a sign directing you to the principal city of the region in the suburbs.

Why make the original question so difficult ? It's called an interstate instead of an intrastate for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Based on some other posts, I've decided to come up with these quick-and-dirty modifications...

Seeing Ann Arbor WITH Chicago is cool. I'm good there. But under no circumstances should there be any references to Atlanta. I hate Atlanta [[a heartless, soulless, sellout of a town).

Toronto? Maybe. It is the next major metro in that direction.

But under no circumstances should there be any references to Atlanta. I hate Atlanta [[a heartless, soulless, sellout of a town).
    Is the unfounded bashing of another city really necessary to make an unrelated point?
    Last edited by 313WX; October-28-17 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post

You just completely snubbed Cincinnati [[and maybe Dayton) with that.

Is this a parody thread? I'm not sure but I think it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's not something you see in any other city.

You may see a sign that gives you directions to "downtown," or which direction you'll headed on the freeway such as "East Interstate 94 keep right" but not a sign directing you to the principal city of the region in the suburbs.
    Of course there are signs pointing to the principal city from the suburbs in other regions. It's extremely common. It would make no sense for someone to arrive at an airport and not have a sign directing them to the core city in the region.

There are signs in Yonkers pointing to New York [[I-87), signs in Alexandria pointing to Washington [[I-395)... hell, there are signs within the city limits of Philadelphia directing drivers to "Philadelphia" [[I-95). If it's useful to tell someone they're headed toward the core area of the region, then it's a useful sign.

Just be thankful that the US Interstate system has cardinal directions listed on the signs. Here in Germany no directions are listed on the Autobahn signs, just cities in that direction. So you had better have a reasonable grasp of your location in relation to the cities across the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Of course there are signs pointing to the principal city from the suburbs in other regions. It's extremely common. It would make no sense for someone to arrive at an airport and not have a sign directing them to the core city in the region.

There are signs in Yonkers pointing to New York [[I-87), signs in Alexandria pointing to Washington [[I-395)... hell, there are signs within the city limits of Philadelphia directing drivers to "Philadelphia" [[I-95). If it's useful to tell someone they're headed toward the core area of the region, then it's a useful sign.
    Maybe I missed them or they aren't as "common" as you say.

In any event, that's really the only little quirk about the highway signs that bothers me. It's one thing for highway signs to direct people from a major city in one state to another [[since it is called an interstate), but from suburbs to city seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    Just be thankful that the US Interstate system has cardinal directions listed on the signs. Here in Germany no directions are listed on the Autobahn signs, just cities in that direction. So you had better have a reasonable grasp of your location in relation to the cities across the country.

Hehehe.... Germans live in a country the size of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. They also have a better grasp on geography partly because of it. So their road signs are confusing to first time Americans, who are now being spoon fed GPS coordinates on how to travel.

This sign here might be overwhelming for Americans to figure out.... but for Germans [[with a command of their geography) they have little issues on how to navigate the roadways of Germany... even without GPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    When I drove on the autobahn, I didn't miss cardinal directions at all since I was using major cities as my reference point. Even in the U.S., it's never been something that I needed to know unless the control city is some random town I've never heard of. Plus nearly every car now tells you what direction you're traveling in on the instrument panel.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    When I drove on the autobahn, I didn't miss cardinal directions at all since I was using major cities as my reference point. Even in the U.S., it's never been something that I needed to know unless the control city is some random town I've never heard of. Plus nearly every car now tells you what direction you're traveling in on the instrument panel.

Yes but, what if you don't have GPS or worse: a car?

You probably shouldn't be on the autobahn without a car.

I'm old enough to have at least learned how to read a map. I was the map reader on family road trips when I was a kid and I still always used the control city.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast