Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Mlive guessing naming rights, a similarity or two...

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi..._of_the_f.html

Hey all, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

If the "Olympia" name could somehow be incorporated into the title, that obviously would be a nice nod to history. Aside from that, a comment in the previous "New Arena" thread suggested the name Meijer Center. I think that has a nice ring to it, and given the way Meijer has stepped up its visibility through major sports events and venues in the past few years, it seems like a strong possibility.

Thanks for the add, Lowell, and thanks to all of your for the great discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Red Barn View Post
    Hey all, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

If the "Olympia" name could somehow be incorporated into the title, that obviously would be a nice nod to history. Aside from that, a comment in the previous "New Arena" thread suggested the name Meijer Center. I think that has a nice ring to it, and given the way Meijer has stepped up its visibility through major sports events and venues in the past few years, it seems like a strong possibility.

Thanks for the add, Lowell, and thanks to all of your for the great discussions.
    Welcome Old Red Barn!

I would be surprised if it's Meijer since Meijer and St. Joseph Health were announced back in Dec. as the 1st two major sponsors with 5 year agreements. I don't think they would have disclosed that if they were negotiating naming rights with them.

Thank you, 401don, and you make a good point. I was unaware of that news.

If they don't call it Olympia Arena, then it's just wasted effort. Bring things full circle back to where they started.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhopper View Post
    If they don't call it Olympia Arena, then it's just wasted effort. Bring things full circle back to where they started.
    To quote Seinfeld, "People don't turn down money. It's what separates us from the animals." I believe most billionaires live by this belief.

Another guess: Flagstar Bank Arena. They've seemed to up their Facebook content the last few months with lots of Red Wings related posts.

I would venture to say FCA Chrysler Fiat won't be in naming, because Chevrolet Silverado is now the truck of the Red Wings.

JACK Olympia Pizza Pizza Arena at Mike Illitch Business School Detroit Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I would venture to say FCA Chrysler Fiat won't be in naming, because Chevrolet Silverado is now the truck of the Red Wings.
    The Silvera-dome

The Buffalo Wild WINGS Center

417deer Guest

The FORD Arena

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...fort/19261643/
    Last edited by 417deer; March-12-16 at 04:57 PM.

It will be called Little Caesar Bowl.

There's about as much chance in naming it Olympia Arena as there is in naming it Joe Louis Arena II.

When you're talking a $40-$60 million naming rights.... that's not considered wasted.

As far as naming rights.... no point in even guessing.... Staples Center in LA was named after a Framingham Massachusetts based business office supply store chain. So any name is possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    There's about as much chance in naming it Olympia Arena as there is in naming it Joe Louis Arena II.
    I think there is a decent chance Olympia will be in the name, if not the name itself. Calling it the the [[insert corporate name here) Olympia Arena is a possibility. In addition to linking with history, that path provides a little name stability for when corporate winds change. Boston should have gone that route because their arena has been the Shawmut Center, Fleet Center, TD Banknorth Garden and now TD Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    It will be called Little Caesar Bowl.
    Little Caesar Salad Bowl with Wings?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I think there is a decent chance Olympia will be in the name, if not the name itself. Calling it the the [[insert corporate name here) Olympia Arena is a possibility. In addition to linking with history, that path provides a little name stability for when corporate winds change. Boston should have gone that route because their arena has been the Shawmut Center, Fleet Center, TD Banknorth Garden and now TD Garden.
    can they work Olympia into something?

Will they have a lot of naming opportunities for the arena itself, the offices, residences, stores, plaza, etc.

The plaza can be "The [[name) at Little Caesars Arena.

I won't be called Joe Louis Area.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I won't be called Joe Louis Area.
    Sticks and stones will break your bones but....

I respect you, Danny. I promise not to call you that.

The Red Wings did not start at Olympia. The team was purchased by investors from Detroit in 1926, and named the Detroit Cougars. They played at Border Cities Arena in Windsor until Olympia opened in 1927.

the name will be revealed "eventually." I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    can they work Olympia into something?

Will they have a lot of naming opportunities for the arena itself, the offices, residences, stores, plaza, etc.

The plaza can be "The [[name) at Little Caesars Arena.
    There really are no rules, except ones they impose on themselves. I would imagine significant sponsorships are category killers, though. For instance, since Meijer is a major Wings sponsor, I doubt the name would include Target or Walmart or another retailer.

There is almost a certainty as well that different areas [[Pepsi Plaza, Chrysler Concourse, etc) and events [[Fifth Third Bank Concert Series, Pure Michigan Halftime Show, etc) will be sponsored. It is widely done nowadays. As for the attached buildings that are not the arena proper [[apartments, shops, offices). I suppose they could be named without sponsorship or they could be named directly for a sponsor other than the arena. I bet, however, they carry names like "The Shops at **** Arena" and "The Residences at **** Arena."

Also, Hypestyles, Chris Ilitch said 2 weeks ago the name would be announced within 60 days. It has also been reported elsewhere that whoever the sponsor is, it is a done deal [[agreeing to sponsorship and agreeing to the actual name are not the same thing, however. A company might want to use a specific product or slogan or just the company name). So I'm hoping by the end of April we will know.

I should further note that it benefits all parties to announce the name sooner rather than later, once it is determined. The sponsor begins to get mentioned/shown in coverage of the arena. The Ilitches also will have more success booking events into an unfinished arena if it appears closer to reality. Naming, and developing logos designs, have the effect of suggesting completion is near. I think they might be waiting for a "significant moment" to announce the name. Possibilities for such a moment include: announcing the first major event at the arena [[reportedly going to be a concert), or completion of a certain portion of construction [[last structural steel put in place or last cement poured, etc).

I thought Gores was talking about naming right for the Palace again a few months ago? Haven't heard any more about that. Enjoy the next 18 months when Detroit is the only city to have not one, but two arenas with no corporate sponsorship.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I thought Gores was talking about naming right for the Palace again a few months ago? Haven't heard any more about that. Enjoy the next 18 months when Detroit is the only city to have not one, but two arenas with no corporate sponsorship.
    I doubt naming rights for an older arena, which has only been called one name, would be very lucrative. No matter what name was slapped on The Palace, I think it would still be universally referred to as just The Palace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast