I know there are other threads about the arena, including discussion of this topic. But I wanted to run a thread dedicated to this topic, especially since we will have an answer in 60 days.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ent...days/81556614/

I am looking for guesses as to what it will be or suggestions for what it should be. Let me get the angry "Tax Breaks for Billionaires" and "The Ilitches Suck and Raped Detroit" guesses out of the way. Now, as for my own guess:

I think the Ilitches will keep it in house and call it "Little Caesar's Olympia Arena." I think this is a real possibility, and a good choice, for several reasons. First, with LC in a growth mode in recent years, they might want the substantial additional exposure the arena name might give the pizza chain. Second, because of said growth, they are in a better position to turn away the instant cash of selling off the name in favor of a name that is a long-term brand builder. Third, it fends off the risk of a naming opportunity turning a little or lot problematic [[example of a little: Comerica moving HQ out of state; example of a lot: Enron Field). Fourth, the name is a twofer for them: LC is their pizza chain, Olympia is the sports entertainment umbrella. Fifth, It keeps it all local, and Detroiters and Michiganders will be reminded of the hometown loyalty and pride. Sixth, it honors Red Wings history, although of course the original brick barn was Olympia Stadium and not Arena, I think most people think of a Stadium now as being a larger, outdoor place for baseball or football.

What do you think, and why?