Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    Greenfield and Webster is Dairy Mart. Still there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5104...8i6656!6m1!1e1
    I stand corrected. Guess I must have missed that the first time around. Haven't been to that store in many years.

I can't say as I remember them by name exactly, but I remember a convenience type store on Evergreen, Burt or maybe Lahser s/o Grand River.

I noticed a resemblance in the logo signage for Lawsons and a local convenience store chain here, one guy from Quebec living in Tokyo noticed the similarity too. The Perrette Convenience store chain was swallowed by a bigger one and changed banners but in the seventies, they were very popular here.

Did the US chain have a milk can as a logo or not?

http://edogawa.canalblog.com/archive.../18840865.html

Old Lawson's sign, as seen in Michigan and Ohio:

Lawson sign as seen today in Japan:

Over 12,000 stores in Japan, as well as stores in China, Thailand, and Indonesia. They've now apparently opened some stores in Hawaii too.

If you look at the History section of their English website, they give the background of Lawson's beginnings in Ohio and the story of the start of the chain of stores. Of course, they don't mention that all the U.S. stores disappeared long ago.
    http://lawson.jp/en/about/history/
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-07-16 at 10:36 PM.

Here is a cute Japanese ad from a few years back for a product I don't remember Lawson's selling in Michigan. Check out the store at the end of the ad though. Look familiar?

Last edited by EastsideAl; March-07-16 at 09:45 PM.

Wasn't there one on Fenkell in Brightmoor?

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Wasn't there one on Fenkell in Brightmoor?
    Yup, just before you got to Eliza Howell Park. A regular stop for me on my way to party with my west side friends in that lovely green retreat.

I think the building may still be there.

The 7-11 on Jefferson south of 9 used to be a Lawsons

There was a Lawson's in Royal Oak on the corner of 11 Mile and Campbell.

The Royal Oak one was my family's go-to place for Thanksgiving dairy
    needs. Not sure if we went for replacement milk from Lawsons after it froze
    overnight on the family's front porch one very cold Thanksgiving.
    That time Dad famously built a "Turkey Fort" from styrofoam pieces, then put
    several gallons of milk inside it, then also put the turkey inside the carefully
    stacked and arranged styrofoam. But the womenfolk then went out for the turkey
    and did not think to rearrange the styrofoam so the milk would not freeze.

There was a Lawson's on Ecorse Road, south side, a few blocks east of Telegraph
    too.

lol... we probably crossed paths.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Yup, just before you got to Eliza Howell Park. A regular stop for me on my way to party with my west side friends in that lovely green retreat.

I think the building may still be there.

One on Lahser just north of the Redford Theatre. Their buildings were unique, with a cast concrete pre-stressed roof structure.

I believe there used to be one on Pembroke and Livernois as well

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2