California does not count on anything really.

Food safety standards and guidelines are set by the federal government,it is the responsibility of the state to enforce those guidelines.

The goal would be to step up the enforcement and inspection to ensure compliance,that takes funding.

In Fla where I am at the state receives enforcement funding from the actual restaurants when they apply for license,when I first started building food trucks 7 years ago there was one inspector for the state,there are now 5 per county.They are also starting to charge $45 per inspection to help defray costs.

Because of my business I am in many different eating establishments and if the public knew how things were the industry would be crushed.

One local by me that has been in business for over 40 years recently received another 200 violations for the 4th time,basic stuff,proper food temperatures and actual roaches running across product while being prepared.

Anyways,the standard is already set,it is the enforcement that is the meat and potatoes of protection between the consumer and the establishment,it is a serious issue that is causing needless death across the country,it should not even need a second thought.

I wish you luck in your project.