Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
I have no opinion of the elevator tower addition. it shouldn't look historic...
the Secretary of Interior provides guidance for such a situation:
http://www.nps.gov/tps/standards/reh...ehab/stand.htm
the DIA addition by Graves is a nice example of the above condition. I like the greenhouse though

9. New additions, exterior alterations, or related new construction shall not destroy historic materials that characterize the property. The new work shall be differentiated from the old and shall be compatible with the massing, size, scale, and architectural features to protect the historic integrity of the property and its environment.
10. New additions and adjacent or related new construction shall be undertaken in such a manner that if removed in the future, the essential form and integrity of the historic property and its environment would be unimpaired.

Hybridy makes a great point about the Sec. of Interior standards. The standards strongly discourage trying to make additions look like they're original to the structure. [[I don't think that the El Moore is in a historic district though so the owners were not legally bound to follow the Sec. of Interior standards.)

The elevator addition has provoked the most comments. My inner armchair architect would have softened the massing with some sort of minimalist cornice. Maybe a little more texture to the face brick as an homage to the existing masonry would've helped. Just one person's opinion though.

The El Moore is an incredibly creative and original project. Quite an accomplishment from the Brennans and their team.