Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    This bill is not a good idea. You want to force more people to get insurance they can't afford to lower insurance rates? I only see the insurance companies benefitting from this.
    As for someone who works on the consumer end of the insurance industry in Michigan for 36 years [[and counting) I don't like that bill at all. The insurance company's are gouging Michigan residents on premiums because they are allowed to run roughshod by a republican governor, republican house and senate and republican supreme court. There is precious little bad faith penalties available to Michigan residents and that was gained during the Granholm administration. [[I didn't like her either)

As far as I'm concerned, and please pardon my French, Insurance Companies are the biggest whores on the planet. People shouldn't drive without insurance, and that bill would be just fine but let the Insurance company's lower premiums by 50% first.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    ... The insurance company's are gouging Michigan residents on premiums because they are allowed to run roughshod by a republican governor, republican house and senate and republican supreme court....
    Inadvertent tax break for car insurers targeted for repeal
    House Appropriations Committee Chairman Al Pscholka, R-Stevensville, is pushing to fix a 2012 law so insurance companies no longer are eligible for certain tax credits they were given unintentionally....

Auto insurers are fighting attempts to reverse the tax credit in the GOP-controlled Legislature. Industry leaders, upset that insurers pay disproportionately higher business taxes compared with other sectors, concede it was handed out by mistake but warn drivers' premiums would go up....

But the switch meant insurers, who receive a tax credit against payments to the group, were credited for a quarter of $239 million in assigned claims paid out in 2015.
    "That was not the intent of the legislation," Pscholka said, noting that bill drafters, legislative fiscal analysts and Treasury officials did not notice the potential insurance windfall. "None of us caught it."...
    Accidental legislation. You can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-20-16 at 09:49 PM.