Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Paging Gazhekwe

Catch Le Nain Rouge discussion on the Detroit side, see what you think.

Default Kinnikinik:Gift of the Bea

GIFT OF THE BEAR
    Written by Grandmother Keewaydinoquay, Ojibway and Ahmeekogendah

According to the tales of the Midewiwin, the first council of the Mide spirits was held at the Center of the Earth and it was called by the upper air spirits to ask the help of the under earth spirits in saving a strange, unfurred animal named mankind. Otter and Bear were chosen to push the first Tree of Life pole [[Grandmother Cedar) from the Earth's Center through the surface, forming the first channel of communications between Above and Below.

"Hurry Up!" called Otter down the crack in the earth where the top of the pole had first appeared. "My fur is drying out in the warm winds Above. Give your best effort."

So Bear gave one last mighty heave with his giant muscles. The earth trembled, and the first Tree of life emerged in the sunlight, quickly followed by Bear himself.

"Come on," urged Otter, "we have done as they told us. I am anxious to return Below."

"Not so fast there," growled Bear. He lifted his great head and curiously sniffed the warm smells of Above. "I would see this unfurred creature for whom the whole council was concerned."

"Very well," bobbed the agreeable Otter, "but make it snappy."

The two totem animals did not have far to look. They came upon a cluster of the unfurred creatures pounding bark. Seeing the totemog, they howled, dropped the bark, and fled--all but one small manchild who could not even stand on his hind legs. Bear stared at the naked infant.

"No wonder they needed help. No claws, no teeth, no fur. Not even a Berry."

"Not even a WHAT?"

"Not even a berry." Bear pointed down an opening in the manchild's head out of which came wails of people sound. "No safety berry. Like mine, see?" Bear leaned back his huge head, parting his gleaming jaws, and Otter obligingly peered into the cavern. There, hanging from the back of Bear's throat, was a round, ripe miskomin! [[rose-colored berry).

"Sure enough," said Otter. "What do you do with it?"

"What do I do with it? That's the Last Berry. It holds all the other berries I've eaten before down inside. And I never starve because the Last berry is always there."

Otter slid impatiently into the water."I don't really understand why anyone would eat berries." he called, "but if you think that manchild needs one---give him one and hurry up."

Bear crunched down on his great buttocks and slid down to the dune to the beach. Behind him, where his rump had opened up the sand, there grew a long vine with shinning leaves and little round berries just like the one in Bear's mouth. Bear reached over, yanked off a berry, and bopped it into the wailing manchild's mouth.

"There now," he rumbled in tender bear tones, "you shall not starve. You have a bear berry too."

The astonished infant was still, trying to keep his bear berry down. [[That is what babies are doing when you see them silently swallowing. In swallowing, trying to keep their bear berries down.) The warm sunlight of Above shone upon the new bearberry vine and upon the plunge circles in the water as Otter and Bear returned to Below.

Bahmbtah-benahsee, [[Tom-Tom Bird), who had seen everything that happened, flew to the Tree of Life. Carefully he positioned his grabbing toes into the oil bark. Then he threw back his handsome hammer head and beat out the first rhythm ever sounded on cedar. It said:
    Behreee
    Bare Bear Behree
    Paposse gotta
    Bare Bear Behree
    Gift of the Bear
    In Honor of Grandmother Keewaykinoway,
    Woman of the North West Wind
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-13-10 at 08:39 PM.

Default Elder's Meditation of the Day

"Sometimes, life is very simple, but it is we two-leggeds, we who are thought to be smart that make it complicated."
    --Larry P. Aitkin, CHIPPEWA

Sometimes it may take years for us to find out what we are really after - it is to be happy. The Elders say, lead a simple life. This doesn't necessarily mean poor, it means simple. There are some things that makes life complicated such as needing control, needing power or being resentful or angry. These things make complications happen. We need to walk in balance in every area of our lives.
    Great Spirit, let me lead a simple life.

Default Mooin, the Bear's Child

Now in the Old Time there lived a boy called Sigo, whose father had died when he was a baby. Sigo was too young to hunt and provide food for the wigwam, so his mother was obliged to take another husband, a jealous spiteful man who soon came to dislike his small stepson, for he thought the mother cared more for the child than for himself. He thought of a plan to be rid of the boy.

"Wife," said he, "it is time the boy learned something of the forest. I will take him with me today, hunting."

"Oh no!" cried his wife. "Sigo is far too young!"

But the husband snatched the boy and took him into the forest, while the mother wept, for she knew her husband's jealous heart.

The stepfather knew of a cave deep in the forest, a deep cave that led into a rocky hill. To this cave, he led his stepson and told him to go inside and hunt for the tracks of rabbit. The boy hung back.

"It is dark in there. I am afraid."

"Afraid!" scoffed the man. "A fine hunter you'll make," and he pushed the boy roughly into the cave. "Stay in there until I tell you to come out."

Then the stepfather took a pole and thrust it under a huge boulder so that it tumbled over and covered the mouth of the cave completely. He knew well there was no other opening. The boy was shut in for good and would soon die of starvation.

The stepfather left the place, intending to tell the boy's mother that her son had been disobedient, had run off and got lost, and he had been unable to find him. He would not return home at once. He would let time pass, as if he had been looking for the boy. Another idea occurred to him. He would spend the time on Blomidon's beach and collect some of Glooscap's purple stones to take as a peace offering to his wife. She might suspect, but nothing could be proved, and nobody would ever know what had happened.

Nobody? There was one who knew already. Glooscap the Great Chief was well aware of what had happened and he was angry, very angry. He struck his great spear into the red stone of Blomidon and the clip split. Earth and stones tumbled down, down, down to the beach, burying the wicked stepfather and killing him instantly.

Then Glooscap called upon a faithful servant, Porcupine, and told him what he was to do.

In the dark cave in the hillside, Sigo cried out his loneliness and fear. He was only six after all, and he wanted his mother. Suddenly he heard a voice.

"Sigo! Come this way."

He saw two glowing eyes and went towards them, trembling. The eyes grew bigger and brighter and at last he could see they belonged to an old porcupine.

"Don't cry any more, my son," said Porcupine. "I am here to help you," and the boy was afraid no longer. He watched as Porcupine went to the cave entrance and tried to push away the stone, but the stone was too heavy. Porcupine put his lips to the crack of light between boulder and hill side and called out:

"Friends of Glooscap! Come around, all of you!"

The animals and birds heard him and came--Wolf, Raccoon, Caribou, Turtle, Possum, Rabbit, and Squirrel, and birds of all kinds from Turkey to Hummingbird.

"A boy has been left here to die," called the old Porcupine from inside the cave. "I am not strong enough to move the rock. Help us or we are lost."

The animals called back that they would try. First Raccoon marched up and tried to wrap his arms around the stone, but they were much too short. Then Fox came and bit and scratched at the boulder, but he only made his lips bleed. Then Caribou stepped up and, thrusting her long antlers into the crack, she tried to pry the stone loose, but only broke off one of her antlers. It was no use. In the end, all gave up. They could not move the stone.

"Kwah-ee," a new voice spoke. "What is going on?" They turned and saw Mooinskw, which means she-bear, who had come quietly out of the woods. Some of the smaller animals were frightened and hid, but the others told Mooinskw what had happened. She promptly embraced the boulder in the cave's mouth and heaved with all her great strength. With a rumble and a crash, the stone rolled over. Then out came Sigo and Porcupine, joyfully.

Porcupine thanked the animals for their help and said, "Now I must find someone to take care of this boy and bring him up. My food is not the best for him. Perhaps there is someone here whose diet will suit him better. The boy is hungry--who will bring him food ?"

All scattered at once in search of food. Robin was the first to return, and he laid down worms before the boy, but Sigo could not eat them. Beaver came next, with bark, but the boy shook his head. Others brought seeds and insects, but Sigo, hungry as he was, could not touch any of them, At last came Mooinskw and held out a flat cake made of blue berries. The boy seized it eagerly and ate.

"Oh, how good it is," he cried. And Porcupine nodded wisely.
    "From now on," he said, "Mooinskw will be this boy's foster mother."
    So Sigo went to live with the bears. Besides the mother bear, there were two boy cubs and a girl cub. All were pleased to have a new brother and they soon taught Sigo all their tricks and all the secrets of thee forest, and Sigo was happy with his new-found family. Gradually, he forgot his old life. Even the face of his mother grew dim in memory and, walking often on all fours as the bears did, he almost began to think he was a bear.
    One spring when Sigo was ten, the bears went fishing for smelts. Mooinskw walked into the water, seated herself on her haunches and commenced seizing the smelts and tossing them out on the bank to the children. All were enjoying themselves greatly when suddenly Mooinskw plunged to the shore, crying, "Come children, hurry!" She had caught the scent of man. "Run for your lives!"
    As they ran, she stayed behind them, guarding them, until at last they were safe at home.
    "What animal was that, Mother?" asked Sigo.
    "That was a hunter," said his foster-mother, "a human like yourself, who kills bears for food." And she warned them all to be very watchful from now on. "You must always run from the sight or scent of a hunter."
    Not long afterwards, the bear family went with other bear families to pick blueberries for the winter. The small ones soon tired of picking and the oldest cub had a sudden mischievous thought.
    "Chase me towards the crowd," he told Sigo, "just as men do when they hunt bears. The others will be frightened and run away. Then we can have all the berries for ourselves."
    So Sigo began to chase his brothers towards the other bears, whooping loudly, and the bears at once scattered in all directions. All, that is, except the mother bear who recognized the voice of her adopted son.
    "Offspring of Lox!" she cried. "What mischief are you up to now?" And she rounded up the children and spanked them soundly, Sigo too.
    So the sun crossed the sky each day and the days grew shorter. At last the mother bear led her family to their winter quarters in a large hollow tree. For half the winter they were happy and safe, with plenty of blueberry cakes to keep them from being hungry. Then, one sad day, the hunters found the tree.
    Seeing the scratches on its trunk, they guessed that bears were inside, and they prepared to smoke them out into the open.
    Mooinskw knew well enough what was about to happen and that not all would escape.
    "I must go out first," she said, "and attract the man's attention, while you two cubs jump out and run away. Then you, Sigo, show yourself and plead for your little sister. Perhaps they will spare her for your sake."
    And thus it happened, just as the brave and loving mother bear had said. As soon as she climbed down from the tree, the Indians shot her dead, but the two male cubs had time to escape. Then Sigo rushed out, crying:
    "I am a human, like you. Spare the she-cub, my adopted sister."
    The amazed Indians put down their arrows and spears and, when they had heard Sigo's story, they gladly spared the little she- bear and were sorry they had killed Mooinskw who had been so good to an Indian child.
    Sigo wept over the body of his foster mother and made a solemn vow.
    "I shall be called Mooin, the bear's son, from this day forwards. And when I am grown, and a hunter, never will I kill a mother bear, or bear children!"
    And Mooin never did.
    With his foster sister, he returned to his old village, to the great joy of his Indian mother, who cared tenderly for the she- cub until she was old enough to care for herself.
    And ever since then, when Indians see smoke rising from a hollow tree, they know a mother bear is in there cooking food for her children, and they leave that tree alone.

I finally got to see Avatar tonight, and I can see why so many people have recommended it to me. Some have asked for my thoughts. I can see the parallels between the unity of spirit belief of the indigenous peoples. The scene where the girl rescues the sleepwalker from the wolves was classic.

I was upset by the ending, where they think they have got rid of the takers. As our history shows, they will be back, as many as the leaves on the trees, and there will be no turning them back. Sad indeed.

Default Coyote and Another One

Coyote and the Another One

A Chippewa Legend

Two Coyotes were crossing a farmers field. Both Coyotes were strangers to each other for they had never met. Just as they were about to introduce themselves they heard the farmer yell,

"There's a Coyote in the field!"

The first Coyote turned to the other and told him to run! They both started to run for the trees when they heard the farmer yell,

"And there goes another one!".

Finally both Coyotes made it to the cover of the trees and they started to introduce themselves.

"I never saw you before, I am Wanderer, I am a Coyote like you."

The other Coyote looked at him oddly and said, "I am Sleek, but I am not a Coyote like you

"Yes you are," said Wanderer.

"Oh no I am not," replied Sleek.

"Look my friend, you are confused. You have ears like mine, you have a tail like mine, our fur is the same, our snouts are the same, everything is the same, you are just like me and we are both Coyotes," Wanderer tried to explain.

"Listen let's run across the field again and you will see," challenged Sleek.

So off they ran. First went Wanderer and again the Farmer yelled, "There goes that darn Coyote." Then Sleek took afoot and the Farmer yelled, "And there goes another one... again!

When the two Coyotes reached the other side of the field they ducked into the woods.

Wanderer turned to sleek and said, "There! Didn't you hear the Farmer? He called us both Coyotes."

Sleek look disappointed with his new confused friend and said, "Yes I heard the Farmer. He called you a Coyote, but I am an `Another One'."

Our problem is, we are listening to the Farmers tell us who we are. Something to talk about.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; February-20-10 at 06:59 PM.

Default Thoughts

We went down to the River last night to witness the landing of Endeavor. It was a beautiful night and there were many others parked there to watch. About four minutes to landing time, we heard the sonic booms, BOOMBOOM, like that. We couldn't see the landing strip from our position, and we kept on watching the sky. My husband at home was keeping track on the Flametrack site, and he told us when the shuttle was on the ground. We didn't see a thing. It was still fun to go out and watch.

It seems to me interest is waning here. There are still a few people checking in, though. I have plans to finish up the Bear stories and then do the Spring ones, but after that? Any ideas?

I don't have any ideas - love the stories though. Just keep 'em coming!

That's great you were there for the landing of Endeavor. That sonic BOOM is something you'll always remember, eh?

Thanks, Eriedearie! Yes, we will always remember the BOOM! It was thrilling to be there for both the launch and the landing.

I have lots of stories, but storytelling time stops about the time the maple sap starts running, so I will likely end up with the maple sugar stories. Being here in Florida where it is nice and warm or at least, not freezing and NOT SNOWING, makes telling stories feel strange. I am sure the Seminoles and other local tribes have storytelling traditions, though. We will be visiting an airboat ride and souvenir shop that says it is Indian owned some time this week, so maybe I can find out some things.

Default A Whole 'Nother Take on Language Assistance

The State of Alaska, Native American Rights Fund, Northern Justice Project and ACLU Reach Settlement In Yup'ik Language and Voter Assistance Case

Anchorage, Alaska – Alaska state officials along with Native American Rights Fund [[NARF), the American Civil Liberties Union, the Northern Justice Project, four Alaska Native elders and four tribal governments today jointly announced a settlement of Nick, et al. v. Bethel, et al. According to the settlement, the state of Alaska will make enhancements to language assistance for Yup’ik-speaking voters available at elections in the Bethel area.

The resolution of the case, originally filed in June 2007 on behalf of Alaska Native elders Anna Nick, Billy McCann, Arthur Nelson and David O. David and the tribal governments of Kasigluk, Kwigillingok, Tuluksak and Tuntutuliak was hailed by all parties involved.

"This settlement recognizes improvements to language-assistance protocols implemented by the state during the 2008 and 2009 elections, while providing for enhancements to ensure that limited-English-proficient voters receive effective assistance," said Alaska Attorney General Dan Sullivan. "We support fair voting practices and effective access to the voting booth for all Alaskans, and we will vigorously implement the terms of this settlement."

“We are extremely pleased the state of Alaska will provide Yup'ik-speaking voters in the Bethel area with the tools they need to fully participate in the political process," said Natalie Landreth of Native American Rights Fund [[NARF). “That is what this case was all about – equal access to the polls.â€

"Our right to vote is one of the most important that we as Americans possess," said Alaska Lieutenant Governor Craig Campbell, who oversees the Division of Elections. "Here in Alaska, we want all our citizens to exercise that right, regardless of where they live or the language they speak. We are pleased to have come together to ensure that this case is a win-win for Yup'ik-speaking voters and the State of Alaska."

“Every American deserves an equal voice in the political process,†said Laughlin McDonald, Director of the ACLU Voting Rights Project. "The Constitution protects all Alaskans' right to vote regardless of what language they speak."

Key protocols for the Division of Election include:

. Training bilingual poll workers to provide language and voter assistance to voters;

. Coordinating language assistance through a bilingual staff person with a toll-free number;

. Relying on Yup'ik language experts to translate election materials, including information on ballot measures, candidates, absentee and special-needs voting and voter registration,

. Preparation of a Yup'ik-English glossary of election terms and phrases to guide bilingual poll workers providing language assistance;

. Providing sample ballots in Yup'ik;

. Pre-election publicity in Yup’ik through radio ads, television programs, public service announcements and announcements over VHF radios in villages that do not receive local radio stations;

. Undertaking outreach to the villages in the census area.

“I have said all along that all we wanted was to be able to understand what we are voting for. Now that will happen, and I am very, very happy,†said Billy McCann, a plaintiff in the case. Being a Plaintiff is not easy but when you come together to fix a problem like this, it is worth it.â€

Attorneys for the state of Alaska are Assistant Attorneys General Gilman Dana S. Burke, Sarah J. Felix, Margaret A. Paton-Walsh and Michael Barnhill.

Attorneys for the Plaintiffs are Natalie Landreth of NARF; Dr. James T. Tucker; ACLU of Alaska; Laughlin McDonald of the ACLU Voting Rights Project; and James J. Davis, Jr.

Default The Ojibwe Clan System

Before I talk any more about bears, I want to share a little information about the Clan system. The most vocal clan is the Crane Clan, Ajiijaak. Not too surprisingly, I am Crane Clan . My husband and son are Bear Clan, Mkwa. Bear is the largest clan, and its members are known for their strength. They were the ones gifted with maintaining order and patrolling the perimeters of the village. They also learned by watching bears which plants were good to eat and which were good for healing common ailments. Following is some information about all the clans as recorded by Ojibwe historian William Warren in his 1885 work, History of the Ojibway People.

The Ojibwe clan system was a system of government and a division of roles and labor. William Warren listed 21 totems [[both by their Ojibwe name and in English), noting that, according to oral tradition, in the beginning there were only five. Originally the totem descended through the male line and individuals were not to marry within their own clan.

According to Warren, the principle totems were the "crane, catfish, bear, marten, wolf, and loon" [[Warren 1885:45). Warren indicated the English name for the more extensive list of 21 totems to be as follows: Crane, Catfish, Loon, Bear, Marten, Reindeer, Wolf, Merman, Pike, Lynx, Eagle, Rattlesnake, Moose, Black Duck or Cormorant, Goose, Sucker, Sturgeon, White Fish, Beaver, Gull, and Hawk. Warren 1885:44-45

Gaz, you really need to get these stories published. I know you alway attribute source material so ask permission to use them.

You really should read Ismael too. The real message in the book was people need to live in harmony with nature. He didn't object to hunting just simply believed that one should take what is necessary. It is a quick read and deeply facinating at the same time. I know the premise sounds silly, a gorilla taking on students but I know you will love the message. There is now a prequill[[sp) too. I am waiting for my son to finish it so I can read it.

As always, thanks so much for sharing.

Hi, Sumas, I hope things are going well with you. I have my 90 year old mother-in-law with me, such a pleasure! She is improving health and strength be because we are able to get out and walk every day and we have been eating fresh fish and locally grown produce, close to the earth foods. I wish everyone could do this. We pick oranges every day for our breakfast. We are so thankful for our health.

I do have Ishmael on my list, as you recommended, but things are keeping me pretty busy around here. I'll be home sometime week after next and maybe I will feel like staying inside and reading once I hit Detroit weather.

I have been considering your suggestions of compiling and publishing some stories. It's a good idea and I think it could be done in a way that the stories could have a context to showcase their teachings. It would be an edited collection, as you suggest. There are some wonderful children's books of some of the stories, with great illustrations.

Dear Gaz:
    Both my spouse and I enjoy the stories. Please consider getting them compiled and published. It would be an interesting project to begin when you get home. Keep you out of the cold.

Looking forward to your continuing posts.

Best regards to your Mother.

Ronaldj, thanks so much for your interest! I will definitely consider a compilation with context. Another story will be added tonight, but for now, here is a February fun fact:

In the UP, it is said that the bear cubs are born in their mothers' dens in February. When you have a fog in February, that is the baby bears' first breath.

It's a cozy thought for a foggy night.

I am seriously happy that you are thinking of compiling your stories and publishing. I would buy many copies as gifts. I think it is wonderful you take the time to tell your stories "for free" on this website. But you need a broader arena.

In an odd way you sound a bit like a friend of mine and a healer. She is a seer. Or perhaps I should see-er. She does readings, past and present. She is a very wise woman and an old soul. I learn much from her.

The trouble is, they are not my stories. I heard many of them as a child, and have learned more since. They belong to the people. Any storyteller who takes them for his or her own is not presenting them in the right way. I hope I have not done that. Our stories and teachings are passed down from one generation to the next, and many are ancient.

There have been people who put out books of stories and teachings, and there has been backlash from the people who believe they should not be shared outside the oral tradition within our communities. The anger is less with fun stories like the one about the winter duck, and greater with medicine teachings, some of which can be taken and used by others in ways that are not safe, like the sweat lodge accidental deaths in Arizona.

It is a serious matter to try and share cultural values in this way. I am happy there are so many who appreciate it here.

Default How Bear Lost His Tail

This is one of the "How Things Came to Be" Stories.

Back in the old days, Bear had a tail which was his proudest possession. It was long and black and glossy and Bear used to wave it around just so that people would look at it. Fox saw this. Fox, as everyone knows, is a trickster and likes nothing better than fooling others. So it was that he decided to play a trick on Bear.
    It was the time of year when the Spirit of Frost had swept across the land, covering the lakes with ice and pounding on the trees with his big hammer. Fox made a hole in the ice, right near a place where Bear liked to walk. By the time Bear came by, all around Fox, in a big circle, were big trout and fat perch. Just as Bear was about to ask Fox what he was doing, Fox twitched his tail which he had sticking through that hole in the ice and pulled out a huge trout.
    "Greetings, Brother," said Fox. "How are you this fine day?"
    "Greetings," answered Bear, looking at the big circle of fat fish. " I am well, Brother. But what are you doing?"
    "I am fishing," answered Fox. "Would you like to try?"
    "Oh, yes," said Bear, as he started to lumber over to Fox's fishing hole.
    But Fox stopped him. "Wait, Brother," he said, "This place will not be good. As you can see, I have already caught all the fish. Let us make you a new fishing spot where you can catch many big trout."
    Bear agreed and so he followed Fox to the new place, a place where, as Fox knew very well, the lake was too shallow to catch the winter fish--which always stay in the deepest water when ice has covered their ponds. Bear watched as Fox made the hole in the ice, already tasting the fine fish he would soon catch. "Now," Fox said, "you must do just as I tell you. Clear your mind of all thoughts of fish. Do not even think of a song or the fish will hear you. Turn your back to the hole and place your tail inside it. Soon a fish will come and grab your tail and you can pull him out."
    "But how will I know if a fish has grabbed my tail if my back is turned?" asked Bear.
    "I will hide over here where the fish cannot see me," said Fox. "When a fish grabs your tail, I will shout. Then you must pull as hard as you can to catch your fish. But you must be very patient. Do not move at all until I tell you."
    Bear nodded, "I will do exactly as you say." He sat down next to the hole, placed his long beautiful black tail in the icy water and turned his back.
    Fox watched for a time to make sure that Bear was doing as he was told and then, very quietly, sneaked back to his own house and went to bed. The next morning he woke up and thought of Bear. "I wonder if he is still there," Fox said to himself. "I'll just go and check."
    So Fox went back to the ice covered pond and what do you think he saw? He saw what looked like a little white hill in the middle of the ice. It had snowed during the night and covered Bear, who had fallen asleep while waiting for Fox to tell him to pull his tail and catch a fish. And Bear was snoring. His snores were so loud that the ice was shaking. It was so funny that Fox rolled with laughter. But when he was through laughing, he decided the time had come to wake up poor Bear. He crept very close to Bear's ear, took a deep breath, and then shouted: "Now, Bear!!!"
    Bear woke up with a start and pulled his long tail hard as he could. But his tail had been caught in the ice which had frozen over during the night and as he pulled, it broke off -- Whack! -- just like that. Bear turned around to look at the fish he had caught and instead saw his long lovely tail caught in the ice.
    "Ohhh," he moaned, "ohhh, Fox. I will get you for this." But Fox, even though he was laughing fit to kill was still faster than Bear and he leaped aside and was gone.
    So it is that even to this day Bears have short tails and no love at all for Fox. And if you ever hear a bear moaning, it is probably because he remembers the trick Fox played on him long ago and he is mourning for his lost tail.

Interesting about the drums. My eldest son used to go to Drum circles. He made several homemade drums. Some are quite beautiful.

Drums are the heartbeat of our people. A drum is treated as a sacred being, with care taken that it always treated with respect.

If you get a chance to look at the Big Dipper this week, take note of where the bowl of the dipper is. Remember that the bowl of the dipper represents the body of the Sky Bear who circles around the Pole Star, the entrance to his lodge. When he is above the Pole Star, it will be time for the bears to leave their dens.

Most people have probably heard the story of the Sleeping Bear.

Many ages ago, a mother bear had two cubs and they roamed the woods west of the lake we now call Michigan. It happened that the summer was very dry, and a huge fire broke out. It burned and burned, and many of the forest dwellers fled to the shores of the big lake. Closer and closer burned the fire. Mother bear and her two cubs were terrified. In a panic, they swam into the lake. There was nowhere for them to go, as it seemed the whole world was on fire. They swam and swam. Finally, the exhausted cubs sank into the water and entered the Spirit World.

Mother Bear finally made it safely to shore and fell exhausted onto the beach. She faced the water, searching in vain for her babies. Day after day, she returned to her lookout spot watching for her cubs. Finally the spirits took pity on her and raised the cubs up so she could see them. Now the mother bear lies contentedly watching over her two cubs, North and South Manitou Islands. Her great body makes the Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Sorry for a thread jack but I know you read and post on this thread. Please check Dodge Lodger on comments forum. I honor your wisdom and need your advise. I have not written my concerns there yet so please check tommorrow

Hi, Sumas. Thanks for the trust, I do appreciate you. I am sorry, though, I don't seem to be able to find the comments forum. I saw on your other thread howq winter is getting you down. Me,, too, which is why I abdicated Detroit for the month of February. Here where I am in Brevard County Florida, the lead story in the paper today is headed, more cold weather for Brevard, or something like that. It has been the longest winter ever. Last year when I came down here, the loquats were ripe, and here, a month later than last year, they are still very green. Still, winter here has sunshine and days in the 60s, nothing for a Detroiter to complain about. I think I will start my spring series this week sometime. I know we are all ready.

I'm back! I thought you guys would at least get rid of the snow before I got back, well, poop, it's still here. It will be fun to watch it melt, though.

On my way back through Ohio I was listening to WKSU [[Kent State), and I heard an announcement that the blue herons are back and it's maple syrup time! Shoot, I'm late! Well, I will put up some spring stories starting tonight. When the snow is all gone, it will be time for the stories to wind down, so I'd better hurry.

Default Spring things

Here in the Great Lakes, Spring [[Ziigwaan) is a time of rebirth. The snow melts, buds appear on the trees, maple sap begins to flow, new shoots pop up from the damp earth as it thaws.

Some of the first plants to appear are ramps. They are a very strong and pungent member of the wild onion family. In the north woods it is a tradition to pick and eat as many ramps as possible as soon as they appear. These are very good for your health after a winter of no greens. It is also wise to eat them in self defense, since ramp eaters can be detected at some distance by those who have not yet indulged.

Here is a neat article about ramps, with a picture:

http://www.main.nc.us/yancey/Ramps/r..._wild_leek.htm

Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 62 ... LastLast