NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Grosse Pointe South v. Grosse Pointe North

Lot's of baggage with that one.
    1. French v. Domestic champagne
    2. Land Rover v. Escalade
    3. Original v. Newbie
    4. Etc.

[quote=JVLIVS;55056]And whenever there was a playoff in the Football state championship, TWO teams that DPS teams have either haven't beaten yet, or had a hard time beating them, as it were [[somebody PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong here), were Bishop Borgess, and Brothers Rice.

Pretty sure it wouldn't have been Borgess, don't remember them ever being a football powerhouse [[they had some good basketball teams) - maybe Catholic Central? St. Ambrose? You might be thinking of the PSL vs Catholic League 'championship' game, as opposed to the playoffs we know of today.

The Catholic League has some of the greatest rivalries in the state, particularly those between the all male schools--Orchard Lake St. Mary's, Brother Rice, Catholic Central, De LaSalle, and U of D Jesuit.

Orchard Lake St. Mary's and Detroit Country Day have a pretty healthy rivalry. I remember being at one game when the Country Day student section cheered, "God can't help you" during a blowout. This really steamed us St. Mary's kids and fired up our Catholic vs. secular school rivalry.

What about Plymouth canton vs plymouth salem. They attend classes together and have to see each other all week before the game which is always the last of the regular season.

Default Redford & Cooley

Redford & Cooley High School were great rivalries in the 50s and 60s.

Back in the day, the Catholic school league had almost as many teams as the DPS league. Both leagues had eastern and western divisions and played a game for the league championship. After both league championships were settled, the DPS winner and the Catholic winner played a game in Briggs/Tiger Stadium for the Goodfellows charity. The Goodfellows were a charitable organization of ex-Freep, New, and Times paper boys. They used to sell tickets to the game at intersections and it was always a "big thing". I think the game was played on the Thanksgiving weekend, but I could be wrong.

Rochester-Lapeer had a big rivalry back in the day. The New York Central/Michigan Central would run special trains to haul the visiting team's fans to the home team's town for the game.

Just want to put my 2 cents in for little ol' Manchester High vs. Clinton High [[Lenewee Co.) which is one of the oldest rivalries in the state, if not the oldest. Not much violence, but there has been some hate down through the years.....

Ok, I just looked at the MHSAA website, not the oldest, but tied for seventh oldest... Not bad for a couple of little schools out in corn country......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2