Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Abandon In Place.

Run new wire, cut the old off where it enters the outlet or switch boxes and shove the remainder back into the wall and leave it. Same at the breaker box, cut the old off at the ceiling joists and shove it back into the holes.

Removing it can be very difficult. I've been lucky in some cases and could grab old Romex with a pair of vise grips and pull it down into the basement when it wasn't stapled in place properly. That won't happen with knob & tube. Walls would have to be cut open. I don't believe CoD would require that as long as everything was cut off at both ends so that it couldn't be energized.

Last edited by Meddle; August-14-09 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Buildingsofdetroit, thank you for that information. What do you mean by trimmings?
    Well, I haven't been inside of it. The Realtor is not easy to work with and has been unwilling to drive down to let us in because it's so cheap, the commission apparently isn't worth his time.
    The neighbor though the last owner took some of the things like doors and, possibly, cabinets out of the house. But the neighbor wasn't sure. I imagine other POTENTIALLY missing items could be decorative grates for the air ducts and any nice chandeliers or sconces. Again, just hypothesizing. Not to discourage anyone. If I could buy a house for $1,500 and drop only $10,000 to $25,000 on making it livable, I would.

The MLS is showing the property as UNDER CONTRACT as of August 12. The sale price will be recorded after the transaction closes [[if it closes!).

buildingsofdetroit: People who list houses for the banks typically do not meet buyers at properties. Typically, there are 2 agents involved in real estate transactions, one for the seller and one for the buyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2