I was on the City of Detroit website earlier today and was going through the bios of the City Council members. One thing of particular interest was if you click on each face - and then the paperclip - it pulls up their bio as well as a "Map" of that district. I never really analyzed the Districts. A few things were interesting. This observation really relates to the entire conversation about development of "Two Detroits".

1) Most of downtown/midtown and then the east riverfront/New center reside in two members districts [[Raquel and Mary). That leaves almost all of the other districts void of representation as to "developments" within their district.

2) Each of the other districts tend to have a few pockets of stable neighborhoods within each [[e.g. East English Village) in Andre and Palmer/Sherwood in Cushinberry. What really surprised me was District 3.

Out of all the Districts in Detroit - this was was so isolated, or stood out, as the one that really lacked any development/critical mass of impressive housing stock, business base, industrial base or any economic backbone. Are there any hidden gems in District 3 or how did such a District get created?

If there was any District that was set up to fail - I'd propose it was this one. I can't think of one place within that District that I would ever even visit.

What's the backbone of this District or what will prevent the entire district from hollowing out?

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/M...ist3_11x17.pdf