Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
GP Charles - you're attempt to get sympathy will not work.

This is like someone complaining because they work at Quicken and have to work until 10pm. Or first year law clerks having to work 90 hours.

No one is forcing these teachers to work in conditions they find deplorable. They are free to quit at any time and pursue greener pastures. Rather than doing what they are paid to do, they think they can win public opinion polls by leaving their day jobs, enabling their students to get left behind, so they can claim they deserve more money in their pockets. It wins no supporters. It portrays them as lazy whiners and out of touch with mainstream society.
Sorry, I am dating a teacher and you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I don't understand how my girlfriend hasn't quit from the stress alone. They get no support from the administration and have to provide all of their own supplies out of pocket. Lessons are printed on my computer at home for kids because the school hasn't bothered to fix the printers there.

To make your analogy even remotely true you might want to add that the customers are unruly and just plain rude and that Dan Gilbert provides you with no supplies and a deteriorating work place. Then maybe, just maybe, you could compare a teacher to a Quicken employee. They get no support professionally and then have to deal with people like you who place all of the blame on their shoulders.

There are three things that my girlfriend vents about in regards to her job at the end of each day.
1) The fact that most students simply don't care and don't put in the effort.
2) The fact that there is little to know parent involvement in helping with the education of these childern.
3) The fact that something else has broken or happened at the school regarding the administration.

You are out of touch to act like they are all lazy whiners. For a profession that is vital it is completely thankless and they are always asked to do more and more with less. Oh and for just getting another job it is extremely difficult. Teachers in good and stable districts hold onto those positions for years and they hardly open up. That is why you continue to see teachers come in and out of Detroit until they get burned out by lack of funds and shoddy leadership.