Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I see the "everything's fine, we have no problems here" brigade is out in force. Sure, houses and apartments are less expensive here than in some other places, but what about food? Clothes? Cars? Utilities? Got any evidence that a higher percentage of kids here than in other places are in college and only working summers to earn spending money? Got any evidence that a higher percentage of college grads here have degrees in "impractical" majors than in other places?

Face facts folks, we've had close to five years of the low-tax, low-service, "business-friendly" experiment, and it's failed. Michigan is on its way to the bottom of the barrel.
    ^^^You got it, especially with the bolded.

Texas, Iowa, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Nebraska all have a cost of living lower than Michigan, and yet millennials in those locales [[all things considered) are still much better off in terms of income than they are in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Free community college would be a good start. Young people and able-bodied adults need better career options. The traditional high-school-diplomas-only factory era is long over.
    It takes more than a Bachelors Degree as well, which is now equivalent to a HS diploma in the eyes of a lot of companies. Need a Masters Degree to make hay now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    It takes more than a Bachelors Degree as well, which is now equivalent to a HS diploma in the eyes of a lot of companies. Need a Masters Degree to make hay now a days.

Not necessarily true.

Depends on the Master Degree.

Got two and a half [[grad cert.) me self and haven't really broken the bank -- most likely will never do so staying around here.

There ain't shit around here job-wise regarding what my Master degrees are in.

Almost every other State in the Union, including O-fucking-Hio has more jobs for me than here.

And I'm not the only one; there's a ton of us out here in the area -- and not just in my field.

Completely my fault for the route I took; it's just me -- I couldn't bring myself to become a Capitalist Whore or else I would have gotten a Business degree like half a million other people do/did.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I couldn't bring myself to become a Capitalist Whore or else I would have gotten a Business degree like half a million other people do/did.
    But if you're not a capitalist whore then you're un-American and everything is your own fault and pull up your own bootstraps because of the liberal arts path you chose because you didn't conform to the model of a capitalist nation.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Just like all the broke ass Baby Boomers who have $10,000 in their retirement accounts because they leveraged their houses to buy a cottage, 2 boats, a Vette & Escalade need to do the same.
    Ha yeah the BBs made some dumb life choices too. Let me know when you find out a way to repurpose a Jet Ski into a friggin park bench.

college is more expensive here than many places and many jobs want you to have experience but won't help you get that experience.Michigan has lots of crabs in a barrel

... I couldn't bring myself to become a Capitalist Whore....
    Today on WWJ I heard that when the Fed raised their interest rate ¼% today, it took Wells Fargo just 12 minutes to raise their rates accordingly for their borrowers but they're going to raise the rates they pay to their depositors "sometime in the future."

Wells Fargo: role model for Capitalist Whores.

Quote Originally Posted by TTime View Post
    Let me know when you find out a way to repurpose a Jet Ski into a friggin park bench.
    I gotta be honest, I think I could do that!

Not necessarily true.

Got two and a half [[grad cert.) me self and haven't really broken the bank -- most likely will never do so staying around here.

Almost every other State in the Union, including O-fucking-Hio has more jobs for me than here.

And I'm not the only one; there's a ton of us out here in the area -- and not just in my field.

Completely my fault for the route I took; it's just me -- I couldn't bring myself to become a Capitalist Whore or else I would have gotten a Business degree like half a million other people do/did.
    You are correct. In most cases, it depends what the Masters is in. But my friend's son just moved to Atlanta, because in his curriculum, he just couldn't find a job here. Many are probably going to have to leave the state, to find better opportunities. The Gov says Michigan is on the come-up, but I fail to see it, unless they are low paying or specialized jobs.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-17-15 at 09:54 AM.

Not necessarily true.

Let me guess, it's in Speech and Communications?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Also, one needs to understand that the cost of living is much lower here than many other areas of the country, so a dollar goes farther here than it does in Chicago or the west coast.

Further, with what types of degrees are these millennials graduating? A degree in anthropology, urban studies, art, music, philosophy or communications, among others, is not going to land a high earning career.
    Well think of it this way. The higher cost of living results in a better return of services and neighborhood amenities. At the same time, some things are lower. Chicago has no income tax. Many Michigan cities do. Illinois income tax is slightly lower than Michigan's but the sales tax is higher. Chicago property taxes are slightly above average. Rents are average in comparison to Michigan cities unless you live by the lake or downtown. In the end things even out a bit.

Finally...income. My job field and related positions pay double and in some cases even more than that then back in Michigan. With my rent costing $2000 more annually than a comparable condo in Michigan...plus great mass transit access and a vibrant and safe neighborhood full of shopping and restaurants, it makes little sense to go elsewhere unless I had a family and therefore different needs

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Well think of it this way. The higher cost of living results in a better return of services and neighborhood amenities. At the same time, some things are lower. Chicago has no income tax. Many Michigan cities do. Illinois income tax is slightly lower than Michigan's but the sales tax is higher. Chicago property taxes are slightly above average. Rents are average in comparison to Michigan cities unless you live by the lake or downtown. In the end things even out a bit.

Finally...income. My job field and related positions pay double and in some cases even more than that then back in Michigan. With my rent costing $2000 more annually than a comparable condo in Michigan...plus great mass transit access and a vibrant and safe neighborhood full of shopping and restaurants, it makes little sense to go elsewhere unless I had a family and therefore different needs
    Great points wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post

Yes, there's usually a relationship between higher costs of living and a better return of services and amenities. But not always. An important consideration: those services and amenities specifically important to you.

And don't make your decisions on taxes or you may end up in South Carolina, or Nicaragua. Few but for fogeys would make that choice. Let's be optimistic!

For most, career prospects are key to the decision.

Not sure if we agree or disagree, but I guess the former.
    Last edited by bust; December-20-15 at 10:32 PM.

I laugh at this because if you are in engineering or medical in Michigan, you are doing quite well. Yes, your bachelor in arts degree is probably worthless in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    I laugh at this because if you are in engineering or medical in Michigan, you are doing quite well. Yes, your bachelor in arts degree is probably worthless in Michigan.
    HahA yes and amenities.

But I declined engineering at Michigan for somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    HahA yes and amenities.

But I declined engineering at Michigan for somewhere else.
    I get my snow plowed, garbage picked up, the city even plows my sidewalks if I get over 4 inches of snow. They suck up the leaves in the fall when I put them on my street. Police are at my house within 2 minutes. Quite a dining scene within a 1 mile radius from my house. Airport is 30 mins away. Oh yeah, I don't have a bus to take me to the "Farm to Table" gastropub. Yes, worthless shit amenities.

I get my snow plowed, garbage picked up, the city even plows my sidewalks if I get over 4 inches of snow. They suck up the leaves in the fall when I put them on my street. Police are at my house within 2 minutes. Quite a dining scene within a 1 mile radius from my house. Airport is 30 mins away. Oh yeah, I don't have a bus to take me to the "Farm to Table" gastropub. Yes, worthless shit amenities.
    Congratulations. I remember and appreciate garbage collection. [[Still have it. Those other things too.)

I realize I wasn't clear but I generally agree with your simple assessment of Michigan's economy. And there are good reasons to choose Michigan even for those outside the handful of fields with good job prospects there. But that it lacks good opportunity in so many areas says a lot about what amenities are uncommon there. And disparaging attitudes about liberal arts and social sciences will not attract them.
    Last edited by bust; December-21-15 at 02:17 PM.

I live 8 miles outside the city limit of Detroit and I have all of the above and more. [[except for the leaves, I mulch them)

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I live 8 miles outside the city limit of Detroit and I have all of the above and more. [[except for the leaves, I mulch them)
    sounds like you and Cliffy live in the same neighborhood...

Income, expenses and taxes are all dynamic. I would think it would be important not only to figure out where they are, but where they will be.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/in...h_for_mic.html

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Let me guess, it's in Speech and Communications?

Ah, that's a big ole negative, Red Leader.

"But if you're not a capitalist whore then you're un-American and everything is your own fault and pull up your own bootstraps because of the liberal arts path you chose because you didn't conform to the model of a capitalist nation."

I've had my boot straps pulled up to my ears for over 30 years and still no "American Dream".

Safe place to stay, food on table and transportation [[that we pay threw the nose for) is the only "dream" we've achieved so far.

I've been called a Commie Basterd [[among a bunch of other things) since Bush the Younger went into Iraq to fight his dad's war. Sure, it hurt a bit when it first happened, especally when it comes from friends and family, but fuck it -- what do I care at this point?

I used to have a lot of faith in this area regarding getting ahead in life.

Now, not so much. Everything has changed for the worse in this State -- which breaks my heart to pieces.

If you said that everything has changed for the worse in the US for people without higher education, I would agree. Michigan always gets a bad rap in here by people who chose to get useless degrees. The fact is that people with no degree or useless degrees are struggling in the whole country.

"But if you're not a capitalist whore then you're un-American and everything is your own fault and pull up your own bootstraps because of the liberal arts path you chose because you didn't conform to the model of a capitalist nation."

I've had my boot straps pulled up to my ears for over 30 years and still no "American Dream".

Safe place to stay, food on table and transportation [[that we pay threw the nose for) is the only "dream" we've achieved so far.

I've been called a Commie Basterd [[among a bunch of other things) since Bush the Younger went into Iraq to fight his dad's war. Sure, it hurt a bit when it first happened, especally when it comes from friends and family, but fuck it -- what do I care at this point?

I used to have a lot of faith in this area regarding getting ahead in life.

Now, not so much. Everything has changed for the worse in this State -- which breaks my heart to pieces.

I agree, but your Governor doesn't seem to think so. Took them over a year to come up with a plan to fix our shitty roads, and in the end, the "customers" of this state, as he likes to say, will still get the shaft with higher taxes and fees for vehicle registration.

Ah, that's a big ole negative, Red Leader.
    It looks like it might have been worth your time to have done so.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; December-25-15 at 09:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast