I had an incident with a bicyclist downtown a few years ago. I was in my car, turned left on to Bagley going towards Grand Circus Park and stopped for a red traffic light. A building was being taken down on the south side of the street and scaffolding had been put up which created a tunnel that ended at GCP. Two bicyclists, a man and a woman, at first waited on a red traffic signal then proceeded thru the "tunnel" to GCP. After the light changed I proceeded thru the tunnel maintaining a safe distance behind them. When I reached GCP, the bicyclists had stopped on either side of the street and the man told me "Take it easy cowboy". I replied to him that perhaps he should obey the red traffic lights that he had just gone thru. I turned right on to GCP. I had only gone a short distance when I saw the man hurriedly approaching me in my rear view mirror. I broke sharply and he ran into the back bumper of my car. At first, I thought my braking might have been the cause but realized later he ran into me on purpose. I turned the corner and had to stop for a red traffic light. Again, in my rear view mirror I see the bicyclist racing up from behind me. He stopped at the driver side door, gave me the finger and yelled FUCK YOU. He then turned left and took off. His female companion followed quietly behind me. I was kinda shook up by this guy's violent reaction. When I got to my destination, Detroit Film Cooperative? in the Book Building, I talked with someone about it and they replied that some of the bicyclists riding around downtown think they own the streets.

Currently, I go for a daily walk of a couple miles on city sidewalks in Westland. A few times I've been startled by a bicyclist racing past me on the sidewalk from behind. Fortunately, I haven't been hit. I wonder if bicyclists shouldn't reduce their speed when overtaking pedestrians on the sidewalk. I would think that pedestrians have the right of way over bicyclists on the sidewalk.