Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So how exactly does it go from no big deal to a life saving event,there is a bit of contradiction there?

Or is it a matter with law enforcement like it is with us and it boils down to each individuals views on what is important?

It's probably not as much a contradiction as it is dependent on the situation of the individual agencies. The Oakland County Sheriff might not find the surplus items as useful because they may have similar items that hey own [[Or have the budget to replace them). The 2nd article stated that Macomb County apparently does not have another armored vehicle, so it affects them immediately. My guess is the biggest loses will be for smaller or rural counties without the ability to replace the items that are being lost.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Thanks for the article. Reading that, and following a couple links, I found the source of their data:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...s-us-database#

I trust The Guardian to get their facts correct better than most sources.

And I truly did not expect the number to be so high. 1061 people killed by police in the U.S. so far this year. No doubt in many cases that was a reasonable outcome. But the statistic is terrible nonetheless.

I do not understand why our country is so violent. It is a shame we are not doing more to end the cycle.

But I do believe we are making progress. At least that's what the numbers seem to say:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/up...rime.html?_r=0
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/op...rime-wave.html

More progress is clearly needed. I don't have sure answers how. But I believe further militarizing the police and thereby alienating the communities they are enlisted to serve is not the right answer. And I do not trust every municipality provides their police force sufficient training to handle their firepower.

I profoundly respect the danger, difficulty, and importance of the job of police. Meanwhile I have high expectations they do their job professionally.

I was impressed how the police in London took down the subway knife terrorist with nothing more than courage and a taser:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/v...-station-video

If guns were as plentiful in London as they are here I'm sure the scene would have been very different.

Again, I have no sure answers.

Well, again in the Guardian, I found this last night about Police in Bakersfield California killing 13 people this year. Many were deemed homicides but nobody
    was held accountable for shooting or beating to death their victims. That is almost the same number of folks killed in the San Bernardino attack.

A chilling three part article; http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...trict-attorney

Even the wikipedia article mentions the grim statistics of recent note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_County,_California

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Well, again in the Guardian, I found this last night about Police in Bakersfield California killing 13 people this year. Many were deemed homicides but nobody
    was held accountable for shooting or beating to death their victims. That is almost the same number of folks killed in the San Bernardino attack.

A chilling three part article; http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...trict-attorney

Even the wikipedia article mentions the grim statistics of recent note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kern_County,_California
    Please summarize what you're saying. I don't understand your point?

So Bakersfield PD is a flawed organization. How does that tell us that they don't need certain equipment to fight crime.

Its OK to hold police to high standards -- but not OK to take problems and conclude that police are the problem. I don't get it. Help me.

P.S. Good article in the Guardian. I'm usually impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Please summarize what you're saying. I don't understand your point?

So Bakersfield PD is a flawed organization. How does that tell us that they don't need certain equipment to fight crime.

Its OK to hold police to high standards -- but not OK to take problems and conclude that police are the problem. I don't get it. Help me.

P.S. Good article in the Guardian. I'm usually impressed.

The answer is in the question, Wesley. They need less lethal equipment, more judgement, more skills and intelligence and less brawn.

The answer is in the question, Wesley. They need less lethal equipment, more judgement, more skills and intelligence and less brawn.
    OK. Well we'll see if taking away equipment helps us. So far, gun-free zones are working well.

This makes sense,where I am at I have noticed the younger LEO seem to be lacking some basic training.I had one tell me that if I paid more in property tax I could expect a bit more response next time one of my properties were being burglarized.

If you really want to piss them off,catch the perp before they do,creates more paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    OK. Well we'll see if taking away equipment helps us. So far, gun-free zones are working well.

Yes, well really it's not about taking away the toys of the trade. I think police forces need better equipment to counter the craziness.

It's more a question of what gun ownership has become in the able hands of nefarious lobbies that need no introduction. Gun ownership equaling gun worship because for some reason in the U.S. there is always something ominous hanging over your head. Be it Killer African bees, drug commercials advertizing more deleterious side effects than the diseases they are meant to treat, or the latest killing spree, the vast attention grabbing media constantly pursuing the next catastrophy.

What do you mean by gun-free zones?
    Last edited by canuck; December-12-15 at 10:11 PM.

Easier said than done when you're on 6 mile and Gratiot and everyone is walking around with a gun and talking shit to you on top of that. Yes, some police are on a power trip but most of the people who were killed by the police were not some innocent angels walking to school with a backpack. Its a 2 way street here and I wish we got more then "800 people got killed by the police" headlines that don't mean shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    Easier said than done when you're on 6 mile and Gratiot and everyone is walking around with a gun and talking shit to you on top of that. Yes, some police are on a power trip but most of the people who were killed by the police were not some innocent angels walking to school with a backpack. Its a 2 way street here and I wish we got more then "800 people got killed by the police" headlines that don't mean shit.
    Good post. I find a lot of posters on this forum seem to live ideological lives in a bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good post. I find a lot of posters on this forum seem to live ideological lives in a bubble.
    Or live in a Canadian city. Chuckles.

This should make everyone question this presidents agenda.

but most of the people who were killed by the police were not some innocent angels walking to school with a backpack
    The police don't get to be judge, jury and executioner. We are supposed to have the right to a trial in this country.

If one dares............

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    This should make everyone question this presidents agenda.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3