Today I read through the M1 Rail's website. It should be a great project. But that got me thinking. Surely the M1 Rail could not supplement all of Detroit's transit needs. As you know, Bus service in Detroit is terrible. So I got on Google Earth and mapped out some potential transit systems. I tried to make them somewhat realistic, but surely it will be a long time before any new rapid transit system is built. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to make direct recommendations to SEMCOG or SMART or whatever. This is just my own personal take on Detroit's transit problem.

Fantasy Plan #1: Merge SMART and DDOT
Now, this is a really big longshot that the bureaucrats who run these systems could ever come to a merger agreement. This is a plan which involves intense improvement of bus service. Cutting wait times, reducing the number of stops, establishing express BRT lines along busy corridors, and more.

Fantasy Plan #2: Small Light Rail System and Bus Improvements
Similar To: St. Louis
Includes some of the improvements in fantasy plan 1. This plan would call for an extension of the M1 Rail, along with a second light rail line, possibly running East to West. Similar to the St. Louis MetroLink.

Fantasy Plan #3: Bus/Train Harmony, and Commuter Rail too
Similar To: Denver, Portland
Denver and Portland have arguably some pretty nice transit systems. This plan would involve building a Commuter Rail network of 2/3 lines. Those lines might run from Ann Arbor, Mt. Clemens, Pontiac, Novi, Monroe, etc. Then a moderately sized Light Rail network would feed into the Commuter Rail. Light Rail lines would serve only Detroit and inner suburbs like Dearborn and Ferndale. Free transfers would be allowed between all three systems, and a central hub for the system would be established Downtown, similar to Atlanta's Five Points MARTA Station.

Fantasy Plan #4: Heavy Rail System with Light Rail feeder system
Similar To: SF Bay Area, Atlanta
This plan would involve a subway/commuter rail hybrid similar to BART or MARTA running through the city and its suburbs. Then a small Light Rail feeder network running entirely within city limits would offer free transfers to the Heavy Rail system. Again, all services [[Heavy Rail, Light Rail, and Bus) would converge at some type of transit center downtown.

Well, progress is coming, albeit slowly. MiTrain is picking up steam and the M1 Rail is well underway. Bus Rapid Transit is supposed to replace a planned Light Rail System, which I disagree with, but at least it's a start.

Thanks,
MicrosoftFan