When will the airlines learn?

There HAS to be some way to accommodate individuals stranded on planes at an airport.

GOT to be some way to empty the loos...replenish BASIC foods...allow smokers to do their thang.

This is similar to a stranding I suffered at the same airport less than a month before 9/11, on a flight from Los Angeles to NYC...also due to bad weather, but for US after a miserable night of delays due to bad hardware.

United sent us away at three in the morning after waiting five or so hours...but NOT because they gave a hoot about the passengers, but because they legally couldn't hold the flight crew any longer!

THEN the next day [[after many of us simply slept in the terminal) we had some four hour delay in Rochester.

The moment we landed, I began asking the flight crew to order bathroom maintenance and food...because one of my friends was on that Northwest flight that sat at Metro and I heard his horror stories.

It took them over an hour to simply crack open a door to allow smokers some vent...and the rest of us simply steamed.

We had fun, though, to pass the time we played the game of 'Who Will Play Us in the TV Documentary'...I was sitting next to Pamela Anderson's foot and hand double and we had an entire team of Olympus [[or Pentax or Nikon, I cannot remember now) camera corporatoes on their way home from a team meeting.

When we finally got to La Guardia, they tried to divide and conquer us, but we kept together...much to the airliner handler's chagrin. We were all hell-bent on suing them, and I collected everyone's information for the class-action.

But I forgot that legal pad and all those business cards at my friend's apartment two blocks away from the WTC, and by the time he was able to return for the cleaning and found them...I decided that by comparison, rectifying our inconvenience wasn't enough to pursue.

So...when will the airlines learn that there are actual PEOPLE in those seats...not just numbers?!