I'd thought I start this thread on these two particular townships. They have a few things in common: both are pretty much ignored [[other than that occasional talk about airport expansion or that ill-fated track), suburban sprawl has barely made it's way into either township, both still have a good number of active farms and both are in the same county as Detroit.

I've never been in Sumpter Township, but Huron Township, particularly around New Boston, is a pretty wonderful place, especially at this time of the year. There are even three metroparks that line the Huron River in this area. Getting there from my perch in [[sub)urban Wyandotte is somewhat of an adventure, even though it's only 15 miles away. Yes, I am aware that Downriver is a bit less developed from sprawl than the rest of the metro. Must be due to the airport.

Don't forget about Apple Charlie's Orchards - they may be one of the lesser-known orchards in the region, but it provides with a wonderful experience and their baked goods are especially good and they even have a window that allows you to peek into that machine that produces cider.