Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Default Detroit out-migration, in-migration, and the "other"

It's a phenomenon in places characterized by substantial out-migration to be more resistant to taking people in. Less exposure to other cultures leads to the preservation of your own and stronger identification with local traditions. I suggest Spain and Italy are two examples. I believe Detroit is this way too.

On a micro level, growing up in an inner ring suburb it was ordinary for Detroiters to remind me I was an outsider. I still hear all the time that I'm "not really from Detroit". Slightly more macro, I encounter opinions from Detroiters and Metro Detroiters that are unreceptive to "others" [[take your pick which ones) much more often than I do from people where in-migraton happens more.

I'm speaking in generalities here, across the board. But is this a phenomenon? Why does it happen? What are the pros and the cons? How were things different in the first half of the 20th Century, when migration into Detroit was the norm? What has improved since then? What do we still need to learn?

I basically exhausted all my knowledge on this subject in the first two paragraphs. But I'm interested in the topic. I'm curious to hear your experiences and your thoughts.
    Last edited by bust; October-15-15 at 04:08 PM.