Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Well, do you want Gilberttown Detroit development or do you want Coleman Young's North Koreanesque,Stalin-like development? You decide.
    Huh? Didn't know those were the only two choices.

Default A Poor Outcome

Well what used to look like this:

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  73.8 KB

Now looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0649.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  118.4 KB

The City of Detroit approved the Comerica Park / Verizon proposal to put an ugly, one-story windowless building and outdoor generator on this site as what was described to me by one of the staff as the "Director told us to approve it" rationale. Moreover, they did not timely notify us as they were supposed to have. Only through following up, did we find out and began to pursue an appeal. The City Director got back to me personally and said he would allow our community appeal. We engaged an attorney who was completing the appeal paperwork for submission today. Yesterday we noticed Comerica Park marking off the location. I personally reached out to Mike Healey, VP of Comerica Park Operations, by phone and e-mail to ask that he respect our right to appeal and not take any further action. We even had the lawyers reach out to him. However, this just seemed to make them move more quickly because as of this morning all 45 of the trees were cut down, 3 more than the "approved" plans.

The trees are lost and I am going to have to find a new way to walk to downtown as just passing the area twice today made my blood boil. We still don't want their schitty-looking building in our neighborhood so we are going to press on.

Even though it may not change anything because the Ilitch organization does whatever it wants with no care or concern for anyone else, Mike Healey's office number is 1-313-471-2005 if you want to give him your thoughts on their unwanted eyesore in downtown. I am still feeling pretty disgusted but yelling at someone's voice mail can have a soothing effect.

I'm encouraged by this.

Trees are an eyesore and really don't do anything for the environment. Wouldn't you like to look at a nice, gray, brick structure on your way into work? I mean, if you want nature, drive to Stony Creek and row a boat, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by sypo View Post
    Well what used to look like this:

Name:  IMG_0613.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  73.8 KB

Now looks like this:

Name:  IMG_0649.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  118.4 KB

The City of Detroit approved the Comerica Park / Verizon proposal to put an ugly, one-story windowless building and outdoor generator on this site as what was described to me by one of the staff as the "Director told us to approve it" rationale. Moreover, they did not timely notify us as they were supposed to have. Only through following up, did we find out and began to pursue an appeal. The City Director got back to me personally and said he would allow our community appeal. We engaged an attorney who was completing the appeal paperwork for submission today. Yesterday we noticed Comerica Park marking off the location. I personally reached out to Mike Healey, VP of Comerica Park Operations, by phone and e-mail to ask that he respect our right to appeal and not take any further action. We even had the lawyers reach out to him. However, this just seemed to make them move more quickly because as of this morning all 45 of the trees were cut down, 3 more than the "approved" plans.

The trees are lost and I am going to have to find a new way to walk to downtown as just passing the area twice today made my blood boil. We still don't want their schitty-looking building in our neighborhood so we are going to press on.

Even though it may not change anything because the Ilitch organization does whatever it wants with no care or concern for anyone else, Mike Healey's office number is 1-313-471-2005 if you want to give him your thoughts on their unwanted eyesore in downtown. I am still feeling pretty disgusted but yelling at someone's voice mail can have a soothing effect.
    Ilitch the environmentalist strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    ‘We’re going to take the lead in developing a neighborhood with housing and shops and retail in an area where the city needs it.’ "
    Actual Translation- "We're going to take hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars to build yet another urbanity-killing hockey arena for a whole 40 annual games, we're going to abandon Joe Louis Arena, putting the city on the hook for two locations, and we're gonna keep all the revenue. Oh, and we're also going to demolish every remaining building of note in the area unless you give us even more taxpayer dollars."

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Actual Translation- "We're going to take hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars to build yet another urbanity-killing hockey arena for a whole 40 annual games
    Well... forty-one plus the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Actual Translation- "We're going to take hundreds of millions in taxpayer dollars to build yet another urbanity-killing hockey arena for a whole 40 annual games, we're going to abandon Joe Louis Arena, putting the city on the hook for two locations.
    The city gave up JLA in the bankruptcy agreement with a creditor, so they will be redeveloping it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2